Forum Index » GEAR » Montbell UL Down Jacket

Display Avatars Sort By:
Christopher Yi
(TRAUMAhead)

Locale: Cen Cal
. on 01/30/2014 16:00:35 MST Print View

Right now I have a UL Down Parka and is not quite warm enough. How effective is it adding something like a down vest?

Serge G.
(sgiachetti) - M

Locale: Boulder, CO
Re: . on 01/30/2014 23:55:20 MST Print View

@chistopher yi

I just bought a M borah gear down vest for $100 at 3.6 oz. I wear a M in most puffy layers as well, and this will layer a close fitting puffy or under a looser fitting one just fine. If you are too cold in the montbell UL most of the time, then I'd look at getting something with more fill, but if its only toward the shoulder seasons, then supplementing with a down vest would work fine.

Tom D.
(DaFireMedic) - M

Locale: Southern California
Plenty warm for the JMT on 01/31/2014 14:33:15 MST Print View

I bought a Montbell U.L. down jacket (8.2 oz. in large with stuff sack, lighter than the long sleeve T-Shirt I'm wearing right now) in 2012 for my JMT thru-hike and I couldn't have been more pleased. Kept me warm in camp when temps got into the low 30's. I still take it with me on any hike where I think I might need a jacket, as it packs very small. Look at all the other suggestions as well, but don't count out the Montbell.

Chad Poindexter
(Stick) - F

Locale: Wet & Humid Southeast....
Montbell on 01/31/2014 15:18:26 MST Print View

I have been using a MB down inner parka the last couple of years, and with the correct layering system I have been perfectly warm and comfy, sitting around camp in temps well into the teens.

As has been pointed out, many of these lightweight down jackets are glorified puffy sweaters. They are not intended to be hardcore outer down jackets... instead, just another part of a layering system, and IMO, that they do very well. And for this reason, I highly recommend them. But, I also suggest that the user understand this garments role, and how to use it in a wide range of conditions...

I also picked up a MB Ex Light a few months back to carry when temps around freezing or above because for me, the ULDIP was just too much... Now, if I am expecting temps to stay below 25 or so on my trip, then I will carry my parka, otherwise, the Ex Light will come along...

But, also, as has been pointed out, MB is putting out a very attractive Ex Light Parka, and as an anorak at that! I think I will be digging that thing...