Forum Index » GEAR » Sleeping pads

Display Avatars Sort By:
Daniel Pittman
(pitsy) - M

Locale: Central Texas
Re: Why is having to blow up an air pad always treated like such a big deal? on 01/29/2014 11:45:59 MST Print View

Derek, the issue is moisture from your lungs causing mildew inside the mat, or degrading the down in the down-insulated models. Also, when it's cold out and you inflate your pad with warm lung air, it will contract quite a bit as it cools. Start with cold air from a pump-bag and the problems is mostly avoided.

RE: your PM... I use mine on top of a Tyvek groundsheet and sometimes a thin blue foam pad. As usual, site selection is important, but I haven't had to use the patch kit yet. Can't imagine durability is any worse than other inflatables. Enjoy the PCT!

Larry De La Briandais
(Hitech) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
Re: Re: Why is having to blow up an air pad always treated like such a big deal? on 01/29/2014 11:56:02 MST Print View

In my case, it takes me at least 5 minutes to blow up a 20/72/2.5 inch pad. My wife can do it in 2 minutes. When I tried that thing that measures your max breathing rate I was way down toward the bottom, the normal rate for a little kid. Not sure why, I can run 2 miles in at a reasonable rate without breathing all that hard. But, hitting my max respiration has always been my limiting factor in endurance type activities. So now I have a Neoair mini pump. Much easier, at least when my wife isn't there. ;^)

Phillip Asby
(PGAsby) - M

Locale: North Carolina
Exped on 01/29/2014 12:10:46 MST Print View

I am not a quilt user so I won't pretend to opine on that.

I am a side sleeper and in my mid 40s, and the Exped Synmat has been transformative. I started with a Synmat 7 with pump that is still my winter pad. It's a bit heavy but warm and comfortable and durable. I got a Synmat 7 UL and it is sublime - really small, light and seemingly as comfortable as the 7 albeit just a tad less warm (r 4.9 to 3.1).

Admittedly I am only comparing this to a ZLite, an Alps lightweight self inflating and walmart blue foam pads.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
What Todd sed... on 01/29/2014 12:48:12 MST Print View

Thermarest Prolite = comfort at a reasonable price and weight

I use a Regular length but may try a 3/4 length