Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
New REI Quarter Dome Tents
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ben Wortman
(bwortman) - M

Locale: Nebraska
New REI Quarter Dome Tents on 01/28/2014 07:09:54 MST Print View

Anyone have any experience with the new REI Quarter Dome Tents? Looks very similar to the Copper Spur UL, but made with a little heavier material and a few additional features. They are also alot cheaper than the copper spurs.

Might have to get ahold of one when the 20% off coupon comes out.

http://www.rei.com/product/862423/rei-quarter-dome-2-tent

Trace Richardson
(tracedef) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Tens on 01/28/2014 08:24:46 MST Print View

They just hit shelves last weekish, so probably not too likely a lot of peeps have had a chance to try them out ....Their "ultralight" Dash 2 still hasn't come out yet .... but is expected in Feb ....

Ben Wortman
(bwortman) - M

Locale: Nebraska
Dash on 01/28/2014 09:37:26 MST Print View

Looks like the Dash 2 is now available online. Seems crazy light

Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: Dash on 01/28/2014 10:03:40 MST Print View

I like the Dash except for all the mosquito netting.

If I add a myog cozy of solid fabric it would still be under 2 3/4 lbs.

Very appealing to me.

Trace Richardson
(tracedef) - MLife

Tents on 01/28/2014 10:39:58 MST Print View

Ahhhh.... I checked when I posted before to see if the Dash 2 was out and I didn't see it ... must have come out in last few hours....

Edited by tracedef on 01/28/2014 10:41:46 MST.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
REI Tents on 01/28/2014 11:07:34 MST Print View

REI's doing some good stuff. The Quarterdome 2 and Dash 2 are both nice tents that compete well with substantially more expensive tents. The horizontal foot end strut on the Dash 2 is a good idea. It addresses a weakness is the BA Fly Creek UL 2.

Christopher *
(cfrey.0) - M

Locale: US East Coast
Re: REI Tents on 01/28/2014 11:19:46 MST Print View

Ohhh ... and dual side access too.

Greg F
(GregF) - F

Locale: Canadian Rockies
15D Floor on 01/28/2014 13:37:53 MST Print View

On the Dash 2 the floor is made out of 15D material. I'm not sure how that would hold up.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
EH... on 01/28/2014 16:17:07 MST Print View

I'll still take the TT Scarp 2 at slightly less weight and (it appears) more interior space.

CORRECTION: "...at slightly more weight..."

Edited by Danepacker on 01/28/2014 19:01:33 MST.

Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: EH... on 01/28/2014 17:33:10 MST Print View

Eric,

"I'll still take the TT Scarp 2 at slightly less weight"?

The specs I'm looking at show the (minimal weight) Scarp at 60 ounces and the Dash at 39 ounces.....a 21 ounce difference.

I may not be looking at apples to apples numbers (I've failed at this before) but if I am then the difference in weight is significant to me.

Eric Osburn
(osb40000) - MLife
Re: 15D Floor on 01/28/2014 17:38:13 MST Print View

That sounds very thin. For comparison does anyone know what the tarptent notch and the BA Fly Creek 2/3 are made from and how they compare?

I've had both and while I trust myself to be easy on equipment I don't trust others. My brother put a small hole in the floor of my FC3 the first night he slept in it. I wouldn't call those floors durable even though I do think he could have been more careful.

Edited by osb40000 on 01/28/2014 18:43:59 MST.

John Harper
(johnnyh88) - M

Locale: The SouthWest
Re: 15D floors on 01/28/2014 17:40:11 MST Print View

Hasn't Big Agnes been using 15D or 20D on the Fly Creek floors with good success?

I suppose if the floors don't hold up, it will encourage more people to buy the groundsheet...

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
I stand (partially) corrected on 01/28/2014 19:00:41 MST Print View

Clarification: I'm comparing SCARP 2 to QUARTER DOME 2 (Not the skimpy Dash) Both the REI and TT tents are DOUBLE walled amd thus the etter comparison.

Quarter Dome min. wt. is 3# 1 oz.
TT Scarp 2 min. wt. is 3# 9 oz.

BUT

Quarter Dome area is 3 sq. ft less than the Scarp 2 area of 31 sq. ft.

That's why you can put 3 (consenting) adults head-to-toe in the Scarp 2 but not the Quarter Dome. But I got my Scarp 2 with winter camping in mind for 2 persons and their more bulky clothing and bedding.

Tent comparisons are usually difficult due to design and purpose differences, as we see here. I have my criterion and you have yours and likely they are quite different.

Edited by Danepacker on 01/30/2014 01:12:06 MST.

Jake S
(spags) - M
I'd like to see some measurements by not REI on 01/28/2014 19:43:07 MST Print View

I'll be interested so see some objectively gathered specs before my interest is really piqued. I've found REI's brand-name products to over-promise a bit when it comes to their listed specs. :)

Edited by spags on 01/28/2014 19:44:32 MST.

And E
(LunchANDYnner)

Locale: Pacific Northwest
not worth it on 01/28/2014 22:01:51 MST Print View

I don't think any of the rei branded tents will be worth the money. They're nice and all, but you get the worst warranty of all the major tent brands.

If you get a BA Copper Spur, you know BA will take care of you down the line. With the REI tent, you're SOL after one year.

Trace Richardson
(tracedef) - MLife

REI ... on 01/28/2014 22:24:31 MST Print View

On that note, that has been a consideration for me as of late as well with REI in general ... I've had and seen (waiting in line) legitimate returns challenged and it's been a bummer ... the main reason I used to pay the REI premium was for that benefit of knowing REI would back me up down the road if need be ... not to have them try to convince me to fix a three day old REI flash with a manufacturing defect with some third party drawstring cord out of box behind the counter as opposed to a straight replacement .... ya know? Any store will do a straight replacement three days out, but REI is trying to put a "bandaid" on defective product ... which is lame.

Have seen others have the same experience ... which is why most of my big non cottage industry purchases are online or through Amazon, if possible now, where they used to be almost exclusively through REI ....) Why pay $500 for a sleeping bag I can get for $350 or $400 online? ...

Also seeing them not grandfather past products as well .... guy had two year old REI tent that was defective (I've had one as well that was delaminating) and they wouldn't take it back ..... lame. REI gripe over. :)

Edited by tracedef on 01/28/2014 22:31:32 MST.

Henry Shires
(07100) - F - M
Re: Re: 15D Floor on 01/28/2014 22:53:59 MST Print View

> ..does anyone know know what the tarptent notch a.. are made from

We use 30D fabrics for floors and flys.

-H

Derek M.
(dmusashe) - M

Re: not worth it on 01/28/2014 23:51:38 MST Print View

I don't really see why anyone who actually knew all of their options would choose an REI Dash 2 over a TarpTent Double Rainbow.

The Double Rainbow is significantly cheaper, lighter, has more square footage and a higher interior height, has more protected vestibule space, and is constructed with more durable materials (30D vs. 15D nylon). The Double Rainbow is also sewn with care in Seattle, Washington, which is icing on the cake. It's a product you can feel decently about buying, and Henry Shires is a really nice guy who will answer any and all questions you might have about your tent.

Sure the Dash 2 is technically a double wall tent, but I think the difference in potential condensation issues between it and something like a single wall Double Rainbow are a little overblown.

Also, REI says the Dash 2 is "semi-freestanding" which is sort of like saying somebody is "semi-pregnant." A tent can either stand without the support of guy lines or it can't. I don't see a lot of gray area here.

I'm not trying to hate on the Dash 2. It seems like a step in the right direction for REI, I just think that if the Double Rainbow and the Dash 2 were side by side on REI's showroom floor, very few people would choose the Dash 2 over the Double Rainbow. Just my humble opinion though.

And E
(LunchANDYnner)

double rainbow on 01/29/2014 00:01:33 MST Print View

I fully agree with you on the awesomeness of the Double Rainbow. It's me and my fiance's home away from home. Quite spacious for two shorter/smaller people like us.

Matt Dirksen
(NamelessWay) - MLife

Locale: Mid Atlantic
+ 1 on Tarptent & Local on 01/29/2014 11:20:29 MST Print View

+1 for Henry & supporting "Local"

I emailed him about a month ago, asking how I might easily add an extra zipper slider or two to my Rainshadow II (it had a single zipper slider which was hard to access when lying down, since it closed at the top of the door. With me & the kids in it, the need for lower/mid access became paramount.)

He not only told me exactly what to do, he had already dropped a few sliders in the mail before I finished reading his email.

Like other high quality, "locally made" companies, I'm not just buying something, but personally supporting someone.For me, I value that attribute a lot more than I did in years past.

Matt