Forum Index » GEAR » Sawyer Mini Backflushing

Display Avatars Sort By:
zorobabel frankenstein
(zorobabel) - F

Locale: SoCal
mineral deposits on 02/03/2014 22:06:53 MST Print View

For those backflushing at home with hard tap water, do you mix the water with vinegar?

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
re: mineral deposits on 02/03/2014 23:10:37 MST Print View

Yes. Sawyer recommends doing vinegar back-flushes if you have mineral water deposits.

zorobabel frankenstein
(zorobabel) - F

Locale: SoCal
vinegar on 02/03/2014 23:36:10 MST Print View

Thanks Gary!

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Backflush with distilled water on 02/04/2014 07:12:21 MST Print View

Zoro,I am on well water here at home, and there are lots of minerals in it. So when I do my post-trip backflushing, I use distilled water and vinegar. I don't want to add any more minerals to my filter than necessary. A gallon of distilled water just costs $1.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Backflush with distilled water on 02/04/2014 07:33:47 MST Print View

If you have dissolved iron in the water (rust stains in the sinks and toilets), vinegar won't help. Gotta be distilled.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Sawyer Mini Backflushing- tubing between the filter and syringe on 02/04/2014 11:07:13 MST Print View

Finally got a mini to replace my 1st generation "black" sawyer inline filter.

Anyone know of what size tubing to use that would connect the syringe to the filter?

Looks like if I just press the tip of the syringe to the output nipple of the filter that it is not a water tight seal.

The gray straw that comes with ut is too smll a diameter to connect to syringe, but fits the output nipple.

I think that I read on Mountain Laurel's website that he was recommending cutting a small section of the straw and softening it up in boiling water then fitting it to the syringe???

Anyone try this or have a recommendation for tubing?

Tony

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Sawyer Mini Backflushing- tubing between the filter and syringe on 02/04/2014 12:30:59 MST Print View

You can stretch the straw with a smooth object (I used the tip of a small paintbrush handle) enough to get it started on the syringe tip.

If you are going to get other syringes, craft and art supply stores may have ones with tapered tips that could be trimmed to suit and give a better purchase on the tubing:

Tapered tip syringe

As it is, the supplied syringe isn't impossible, just a bit clumsy. You have to grip the filter with a couple fingers and the syringe with thumb and forefingers while pushing the plunger with the other hand. Doing that without dribbling down your side is a bit of a dance.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Sawyer Mini Backflushing- tubing between the filter and syringe on 02/04/2014 14:07:16 MST Print View

"Looks like if I just press the tip of the syringe to the output nipple of the filter that it is not a water tight seal"

Are you sure?

I have Squeeze. Syringe doesn't make a real good seal, but if I press syringe against nipple and push, it works just fine.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Sawyer Mini Backflushing- tubing between the filter and syringe on 02/04/2014 14:11:21 MST Print View

@ Dale Thanks for the suggestion...stretching out the supplied tubing sounds like a good idea. Will see if I have something like a cone to insert in the tube to do it.

@Jerry I am not sure, as I have not tried to backflush my filter yet- it is new out of the package. Just looking at it, does not seem like it is water tight between the syringe and the output nipple of the filter.

Tony

Ryan Rourke
(Ryanjrourke) - F
Mini on 02/04/2014 23:03:24 MST Print View

Please correct me if I'm understanding this wrong. An airtight seal is better than not; and a tube that creates an airtight seal from the syringe to the output nipple is better than the syringe strait to the filter(which is not airtight, or very hard to continuously keep an airtight seal); and a syringes output pressure is caused by the forcing of water volume through a smaller hole?? If this holds true than connecting the in-line adapter to a water bottle and forcing water trough the tube to the output nipple would yield the same results no? The amount of water pressure you can force through the airtight tube, and ultimately to back flush, is a finite psi at this point and easily can be achieved with the syringe or by use of squeezing water through the adapter from the bottle (see blue adapter in pic). This can be done on the trail easily, if you use a water bottle in your system, and you can leave the syringe at home.Adapter

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Mini on 02/04/2014 23:55:35 MST Print View

I think the difficulty of backflushing with the syringe is being overblown a bit. It is a little clumsy, but not really "difficult." The syringe connection doesn't impress me as a well finished part of the product, but the Mini is a fraction of the cost of other filters, not to mention the weight.

I can't see any problems in channeling by using a short hose between the filter and syringe, or using the adapters above with a short hose and a bag or flexible bottle.

I ordered a couple 60ml syringes with tapered tips to give a better grip on the straw and I plan to trim the tip to suit. That will allow getting a good grip on the syringe also allow aiming the open end of the filter away from me so I don't get a bath while backflushing.

Alex Wallace
(FeetFirst) - F

Locale: Northern California
same as Ryan on 02/05/2014 00:19:55 MST Print View

I've packed the syringe in the past to not only back-flush the filter if needed, but also for wound irrigation. Unfortunately, the syringe sucks (literally) at both. The adapters serve the same purpose when combined with a short piece of tubing and are much easier to use. Also, the added volume of water (syringe vs. water bottle of choice) is appreciated. Finally, the adapters, with a short piece of tubing, can also be used to setup the filter in gravity mode which is especially convenient in groups or base camp style trips.

Edited by FeetFirst on 02/05/2014 00:22:50 MST.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Mini on 02/05/2014 07:49:36 MST Print View

"An airtight seal is better than not..."

You're over analyzing

Typical BPL (which I am never guilty of : )

Just stick syringe on nipple and push plunger, no big deal, maybe a little water dribbles around

Now if you wanted to use a hard soda bottle to backflush instead of syringe, which I don't know works but it seems like it would, then you need an adapter and short hose

Ryan Rourke
(Ryanjrourke) - F
Mini on 02/05/2014 13:23:11 MST Print View

Hi Jerry, in my attempt to simplify the ongoing syringe analyzation posts I may have been a little wordy:). On BPL if you don't explain yourself in detail you just open yourself up to regret (not directed at you Jerry just in general). But yes you do need a tube and an adapter. The straw that comes with the mini is made to fit the nipple so you don't need any special tube, it comes with it. As Alex said, with the adapter you can use it as a gravity filter. I will add to this and also say that it works brilliantly to filter on the go. Even if I take a break and filter water at the source, using the included straw and adapter is much easier than aiming the water flow into the bottle or using one hand to hold the empty bottle while squeezing water into it. The adapter allows you to have a hands free (gravity) or a one handed system without any spillage..and the kicker is you can also back flush with it! I keep the straw "permanently" attached to the adapter and filter. This way all I have to do is screw the adapter (which is already attached to the filter) onto my bottle and continue with my hike. The attachment is tight enough to hold the weight and I don't have any worries of it coming lose. Before removing the adapter you just flush back through some of the clean water if you need to. No syringe or separate operations to back flush. This closed system gives you a much easier way to filter, more options on how to filter, reduces the risk of spilling precious water on the ground and also an on the trail back flush...Just my .02 ;)

Edited by Ryanjrourke on 02/05/2014 13:37:14 MST.

cody yochum
(uclacody0908)

Locale: Nor Cal
mini and adapter on 02/06/2014 00:41:40 MST Print View

Ryan do you have the adapters on a mini? It shows that the adapters fit the squeeze and the all in one, but the mini is not listed. One person on amazon commented that these do not fit the mini.

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife

Locale: www.hikelighter.com
mini-squeeze chunkies on 02/06/2014 01:11:15 MST Print View

Hey Dave... err, I mean Dale...

What kind of flow restriction are you getting when you shove in foam the mouth of the bottle like this? Does it drastically reduce the flow-rate into the mini??

And (giggle) it would kinda suck to accidentally push the foam down into the water container... probably never get that sucker out LOL

I like the idea :)

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: mini-squeeze chunkies on 02/06/2014 09:48:24 MST Print View

The foam is soft and porous and doesn't inhibit the flow perceptibly. In the field I imagine you could get the foam out with stick if you needed to. If it gets away, it could float around inside without being a problem. Hemostats or long tweezers would do the trick at home. My foam prefilter is a quick and dirty work around, but it should get the chunky bits out of the way.

It would be interesting to see an insertable foam prefilter with a short plastic sleeve/screen and just enough lip to catch the edge of the neck on the dirty water bottle. That could allow enough offset to miss the nipple on the filter and it would be caged from escape. I'm thinking of something about 1.5" long.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: mini pre-filter on 02/08/2014 11:45:15 MST Print View

This carburetor inlet filter screen is the sort of thing I had in mind for an internal pre-filter for the mini. It could be used as is, or a piece of foam could be added. The trick is to find one that will just catch the edge of the dirty water bag outlet or adapt it to do the same. A gasket may work to "capture it too.

Carburetor inlet filter

Edited by dwambaugh on 02/08/2014 11:46:54 MST.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Re: Sawyer Mini Backflushing- tubing between the filter and syringe on 02/08/2014 15:03:04 MST Print View

I got the tapered tip syringes in the mail today. 60ML like the Sawyer model, but with thumb hooks and a bit lighter at 0.8oz. A short chunk of the straw fits without trimming the tip of the syringe, so it's a dead simple replacement. That should give it a good squirt!

Alternate backflushing syringe

Alternate backflushing syringe

Edited by dwambaugh on 02/08/2014 15:04:31 MST.

Larry De La Briandais
(Hitech) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
Re: Re: Re: Sawyer Mini Backflushing- tubing between the filter and syringe on 02/08/2014 15:24:05 MST Print View

I have one of those and have used it fo backflush a reg sawyer several times. So far so good. It is easy to get a good solid stream of water through the filter when backflushing.