Kid's sauce packets = UL containers
Display Avatars Sort By:
Timothy Epp
(Rush2112) - F

Locale: Southwest British Columbia
Kid's sauce packets = UL containers on 01/27/2014 19:00:04 MST Print View

3.2oz mylar packet weighing 5gr

Been lurking for awhile and finally decided to buy a forum membership. My 3 year old loves these sauce packets but I'm loving the collapsible containers the sauce comes in. I have around 20 of these that I washed and sanitized when emptied. I imagine they should be great for sunscreen, cooking oil or even a nice nip of scotch.
Most of the kid's sauce packets I've run across have those huge plastic caps but these are nice and small. At 5 grams, these things look to be a nice combinjation between lightweight and durability.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Kid's sauce packets = UL containers on 01/27/2014 19:15:10 MST Print View

I've used a few of these, and they hold up well for liquids. There is also a similar version that holds 4 ounces of product. You could probably use one for white gasoline or denatured alcohol.

If you get one with the bulky cap, study it and you will see that you can cut off about 90% of it and end up with the small cap.

--B.G.--

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Kid's sauce packets = UL containers on 01/27/2014 19:46:33 MST Print View

Welcome to BPL!

They sure are light and useful.

I went to your site and WOW you take some awesome pics!!

Edited by funnymoney on 01/27/2014 19:48:11 MST.

Timothy Epp
(Rush2112) - F

Locale: Southwest British Columbia
Re: Kid's sauce packets = UL containers on 01/28/2014 08:33:20 MST Print View

Thanks Todd and good to know Bob, I hadn't though tof cutting down the bulkiness of the screw top.

brian H
(B14) - M

Locale: Siskiyou Mtns
gr8 tip on 01/28/2014 15:35:05 MST Print View

welcome Timothy.

your photography is Ridiculously good. i love the 3 Sisters Wilderness shots.

Brian Johns
(bcutlerj) - M

Locale: NorCal
Timely Tip Too on 01/28/2014 21:09:37 MST Print View

Tony Wong told me about these this weekend. He said there's a trader Joe's brand that's good for olive oil. I did not have a good mental picture of this "Capri-Sun" like product, but now I do. I agree with Bob, perfect for a little fuel and not easily confused like an 8 oz spring water bottle.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Timely Tip Too on 01/28/2014 21:23:02 MST Print View

"I agree with Bob, perfect for a little fuel and not easily confused like an 8 oz spring water bottle."

I wouldn't want to confuse the contents with the original product, so I obscure the colorful printing with marking from a black sharpie.

--B.G.--

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
containers on 02/11/2014 17:56:27 MST Print View

I had a cap crack on one when tightened reasonably tight.
After that, I wouldnt trust them for alcohol use.

James T. Volk
(H2Oboy007) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
RE: Timely Tip Too on 03/21/2014 07:53:42 MDT Print View

I use the boobie bags (http://smuggleyourbooze.com/buy.php) for fuel on my TATO gear stove. I haven't had any issue. I actually started off with applesauce containers very similar to what you show in the picture, I went to the boobie bags b/c they were clear and I could see the liquid inside. Put a couple of drops of food coloring into your d-alcohol fuel and you're all set. For lotions I use the melted straw section method. I guess it depends on how much you need and how long you'll be out.

Edited by H2Oboy007 on 03/21/2014 07:55:43 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: RE: Timely Tip Too on 03/21/2014 13:12:32 MDT Print View

I find that the melted straw sections work good, but they are too small in diameter for some stuff that I carry. I need plastic straws that are large enough to handle a standard aspirin tablet.

--B.G.--

Rebecca Audette
(Beckyinma) - F

Locale: Wicked northern, Massachusetts
Re: Re: RE: Timely Tip Too on 04/05/2014 19:37:16 MDT Print View

asian stores, and some international groceries carry 'Bubble Tea' straws. They are about 1/2" in diameter, because the bubble tea you get in Chinatown has huge flavored tapioca pearls. Good stuff. They would be great for larger pills and larger quantities of lotions etc. They're cheap too, like $2 for 30 straws.

Nicholas Smolinske
(Smo) - F
Refilling on 04/07/2014 16:18:07 MDT Print View

Nobody's talked about this yet, but I had a lot of trouble filling these up with alcohol at first. I tried a lot of different makeshift funnels, most of which ended up with at least half the fuel in the sink. Rather than seeking out a perfectly fitting funnel I used what I already had, which is an irrigation syringe. Mine is 10ml, so three full draws is about 1 oz. Works quite well.

John Taylorson
(heyjt) - M

Locale: SoCal
Re: Re: Timely Tip Too on 04/07/2014 22:46:40 MDT Print View

"I agree with Bob, perfect for a little fuel and not easily confused like an 8 oz spring water bottle."

I wouldn't want to confuse the contents with the original product, so I obscure the colorful printing with marking from a black sharpie.

--B.G.--

For the last couple years, I've been using a drop of green food coloring in my alcohol bottle. One drop lasts me about a year's worth of fuel (about 30-40 days of backpacking).

Now there is no way anyone will confuse the green liquid for potable water.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: Timely Tip Too on 04/07/2014 23:43:03 MDT Print View

"Now there is no way anyone will confuse the green liquid for potable water."

Except that while the dyed liquid is inside the container, you can't see any color. Some people will try to swig from the container.

--B.G.--

Adrien Baker
(AdrienBaker) - F - M

Locale: Kern County
Reusable on 04/09/2014 23:57:39 MDT Print View

Reusable pouches: http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/24633723?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222228000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=41833582510&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=19880599990&veh=sem

Adrien

Ben H.
(bzhayes) - F

Locale: So. California
Re: Kid's sauce packets = UL containers on 04/16/2014 17:55:23 MDT Print View

I tried the apple sauce packets from Trader Joes and they definitely are not leak tight after they have been open. The cap is different from the cap in the OP.... Just an FYI

Jesse Anderson
(jeepin05) - F

Locale: Land of Enchantment
Re: Kid's sauce packets = UL containers on 04/19/2014 21:57:16 MDT Print View

If anyone is looking for something a fair bit larger than these but in the same style, I found that Capri Sun has a "Big Pouch" that is roughly the same construction with a small twist cap. They hold a little over 11 fl oz, so roughly 3 times the size of the small packets. I haven't found a use for them myself yet, but thought I'd pass it along. BTW, I found them at Walmart, but I'm sure they'll be at most grocers.
capri sun bottle

Nicholas Smolinske
(Smo) - F
Ketchup Container on 04/29/2014 05:47:44 MDT Print View

If anyone wants an even bigger version than the capri sun, I found Heinz Ketchup in one of these! I don't recall the size, but it looked potentially useful.

Brian Mix
(Aggro) - M

Locale: Western slope, Sierra Nevada
crapi Sun... on 04/29/2014 17:51:32 MDT Print View

I've got a Capri Sun pouch that I choked down the contents of(couldn't waste it) and have washed it numerous times and it still smells quite strong of nasty juice. I had hoped to refill it with nutella for a longer hike this summer but if I can't get the nasty smell out I need to find another container. Perfect size though.

Erica Napolitano
(naperica) - F

Locale: Northeast
YES! on 10/05/2014 13:45:34 MDT Print View

Speaking of nutella.....these could be a great vessel for PB........and cheaper than those individual little packs.