Forum Index » GEAR » New Zimmerbuilt pack

Display Avatars Sort By:
HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Earth (mostly)
New Zimmerbuilt pack on 01/27/2014 15:09:20 MST Print View

I had Chris Zimmer built an all-black dyneema pack based off his ZB2 design and it turned out well (note: VX base). With removable frame, it is 31 oz with a simple pack bag that can compress the top down, along with webbing for further side compression in stealth mode (say on public transportation before loading up on food and fuel) or carrying a tripod.

Here it is:

Zimmer built ZB2 Newman

Seeing more winter trips that use a major city as a base this spring,… next,...and using the travel threads as a guide, came up with this as a "one-pack" solution. Of course there may be a sequel…

(*ed: fabric note)

Edited by hknewman on 01/27/2014 22:00:48 MST.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: New Zimmerbuilt pack on 01/28/2014 10:22:18 MST Print View

He makes beautiful stuff, doesn't he??
Nice pack!!

Timothy Epp
(Rush2112) - F

Locale: Southwest British Columbia
Zimmerbuilt pack on 01/28/2014 11:15:26 MST Print View

That's a sweet looking pack

Alex Wallace
(FeetFirst) - F

Locale: Northern California
Looking good. on 01/28/2014 17:34:11 MST Print View

Looks good. When you receive it, please post some photos and words to describe the frame. Particularly, how is the frame integrated into the pack. Thanks!

I've been sketching some designs and plan on contacting Zimmer soon.

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Earth (mostly)
Answers Re: New Zimmerbuilt pack on 01/30/2014 18:44:04 MST Print View

He makes beautiful stuff, doesn't he??

Yeah most definitely Jen, … if someone wants some great construction in a UL/lightweight pack … and knows precisely what they want, a Zimmerbuilt pack is definitely a functional work of art.

Thanks Timothy. Been thinking about this pack for some time and Chris Zimmer's construction pulled it off flawlessly.

Alex asked about the … frame …

Photos have flash since my pack is black..

The frame is a standard hooped aluminum dual stay going down to the bottom of the pack (so do not think I'm giving anything away here). There's a thin pocket for a thin Gossamer Gear pad to fit into. It's the same frame set up but it might be a bit burlier than (iirc) other cottage packs … The plan is to use this as a winter daypack and general travel pack too, so what's an oz or 2? ..

ZIMMER built ZB2 Newman FRAME 1

Below is the hoop in detail (came in sideways):
zIMMER built ZB2 Newman FRAME 2

By loosening the webbing, the frame comes right out.

For the sides and top, I went with heavier webbing for equipment but also monster compression when transferring through cities and transportation hubs. On the outskirts, find a grocer and fill with food, water, wine (transfer to collapsible bladder), ….beer. Looking at similar Zimmerbuilt packs, these probably account for a few extra oz's. Thought about compression webbing on the bottom ala Golite but trying to keep it light.

Edited by hknewman on 01/30/2014 19:34:24 MST.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
zimmer on 01/30/2014 20:33:18 MST Print View

Congrats. I have had two built by him and lust for a third. It'd nice to be about to design your own pack, and not have to build it... looks good lots of storage.

I also like the vx21? For the base, it still be much more waterproof. The x grid would start to fray and absorb water over time, the x pac is essentially like a bathtub.

Edited by M.L on 01/30/2014 20:38:56 MST.

Alex Wallace
(FeetFirst) - F

Locale: Northern California
Thanks! on 01/31/2014 00:32:01 MST Print View

Thank you for posting the photos of the frame and your description. I'm now even more intrigued by Zimmer's work.