Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
GGG in Southern CA
Display Avatars Sort By:
Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

Locale: Southern California
GGG/SOCAL on 03/16/2014 23:11:18 MDT Print View

We have about 43 signed up including family members and a few tentative attendees. Many say they are coming on Sat and staying overnight. A lesser number are signed on for all three days and a few are just coming in for the day on Sat. Sat. Is the day for most of the demonstrations, show and tell and of course socializing. I'm not sure as of now what time we'll break camp and head down the hill for the gear swap and tarp giveaway but for those interested in picking up some gear it should be well worth hanging around for that.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: GGG/SOCAL on 03/17/2014 13:29:53 MDT Print View

Don,

Wow!

Fantastic turn out you have anticipated for your SoCal GGG!

Beats the 14-16 we had at our 1st one and you have manufactures coming out to share in the fun!

Looking forward to seeing any pictures that you and others take of the event.

I am sure that people really appreciate the work that you are doing for putting it all together.

Glad to see that it is going to happen.

Tony

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal on 03/18/2014 20:48:16 MDT Print View

Thanks Tony. It is going to happen. As you know the number signed up doesn't always translate to the number that shows up but I feel confident we'll have 40-50 there. We have a pretty large gene pool to gather from down here plus the advantage of good weather and a close by place to go.
We'll definitely have pictures to post. Want to come down and take some shots?

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
S.C.G.G.G. on 03/18/2014 21:56:20 MDT Print View

Tony ! Tony ! Tony !

This was meant as a chant,

Tony, just cut the bracelet off like I did mine

Edited by jumpbackjack on 03/19/2014 13:45:30 MDT.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: GGG/SoCal on 03/19/2014 13:40:30 MDT Print View

Don,

With good weather on your side, I am pretty sure you are going to have a great turn out.

Yeah, there will be people who sign up who won't be able to make it due to something last minute.

On the other side, you may have a few people join in at the last minute.

Thanks for the offer to come out, but the ankle bracelet that I am required to wear won't buzzing once I pass the County Line!

Tony

Angus A.
(mangus7175) - F

Locale: http://theshadedtrail.blogspot.com
Re: Re: GGG/SoCal on 03/26/2014 11:48:46 MDT Print View

A little bump for this event!

Really looking forward to meeting other like-minded UL folks. A couple of weeks left till April 11th!

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal on 03/27/2014 13:06:33 MDT Print View

Time is getting short for this event so I'm starting a minor advertising campaign to get some of you motivated. If you want to make the trek more than a relatively short jaunt there are some trail alternatives to make it a 12+ mile one way trek with a 4000ft+ elevation gain. Make it a training hike. I'm not a big fan of mountain bikes but the road up the Henninger is wide enough accommodate hikers and bikers in a nice state of peaceful coexistence. Give you legs a workout and peddle your way to camp.

Lance Cunningham
(Lancelot2u) - F

Locale: So. Cal.
CA Fire Permit on 03/27/2014 15:55:14 MDT Print View

Does everyone need a campfire permit, or is there one for the group?

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: CA Fire Permit on 03/27/2014 16:09:40 MDT Print View

edit: nvm

Edited by justin_baker on 03/27/2014 16:10:10 MDT.

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

Fire Permit on 03/27/2014 16:58:07 MDT Print View

I'll avoid the technicalities of this issue at the location we're going and just say yes, you need a CA campfire permit. They're easy enough to get online.

Use this link: http://www.preventwildfireca.org/Campfire-Permit/

Lance Cunningham
(Lancelot2u) - F

CA Fire Permit Link - GREAT on 03/27/2014 19:24:05 MDT Print View

Thanks for the link! Took about 5 minutes, 2.5 minute video, 8 question test for the intellectually challenged, and print it out. Great thing is, it is valid for a year anywhere you go! Love it!

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

CA Fire Permit on 03/27/2014 20:33:57 MDT Print View

They changed this year with the addition of a dedicated site with the video and a "harder" test. Maybe it will prevent a fire or two by increasing awareness. We can only hope.

zorobabel frankenstein
(zorobabel) - F

Locale: SoCal
parking on 03/28/2014 11:12:08 MDT Print View

Where is everyone parking?

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal Parking on 03/29/2014 22:28:13 MDT Print View

I'll be parking at the nearest legal street parking spot. :-) There is plenty of street parking near the trailhead. Just pay close attention to the parking signs. I'll be talking to the Sheriffs Dept that patrols the area to inform them that there will be more cars parked up there than usual. They might patrol the area more often than they usually do. I have never heard of any car break-ins up there but I would suggest not leaving any valuables laying in plain site in your car.

Lance Cunningham
(Lancelot2u) - F

West LA Carpooling? on 03/30/2014 14:09:28 MDT Print View

I am heading up from San Diego Mid-week to get some work done Wed / Thurs in West LA. Anyone heading out from Culver City Santa Monica Area on Friday that would like to carpool?

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal Gear Swap Items on 03/30/2014 18:49:36 MDT Print View

So far my gear swap collection is pretty meager (see the photo). I'm going to have to dig a little deeper to see what I can come up with.

What are the rest of you bringing? Show us what you have.GGG/SoCal Gear Swap Items

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG in Southern CA on 04/02/2014 12:13:26 MDT Print View

Only 9 days to go! We've reached the magic number of 50 who are signed up. Magical for me anyway since it was the number I was hoping for. That includes family members, guests etc. Time for those of you sitting on the fence to commit!

Bringing up the subject of the gear swap again.... What do you have to offer?

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
S.C.G.G.G. on 04/02/2014 13:30:46 MDT Print View

Hey everybody,
Due to the loss of the tip of my index finger 5 weeks ago and and a huge amount of trap orders it looks like the tarp set up competition may be on hold, and the proto type backpack also may not get finished, I'll bring what I can.

I also won't be there until late Friday night

Edited by jumpbackjack on 04/02/2014 13:31:38 MDT.

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal on 04/02/2014 14:52:42 MDT Print View

Hey Jack, I hope the injury was the result of some fun adventure at least. Do what you can and bring what you can. See ya on Friday.

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
MLD Proto at SoCal GGG on 04/03/2014 15:21:19 MDT Print View

Just got a note from Ron today - he's sending out a new prototype tarp for the event! This is an asymmetrical 2.5 mid that you might have seen recently on MLD's Facebook page. He's looking for comments and suggestions, so I'll bring my JMT pencil and onionskin notebook to record your ideas! He's also sending along a gadget for connecting two trekking poles together for a longer center pole.