kevin smith
(divr6347) - M
jacks snoring on 02/09/2014 19:38:45 MST Print View

hiking jims dragonfly sounds like just the ticket to
silence jacks snoring )~ lol

craig glad the gear worked out for the students thats awesome

it will be good to see you again

sounds like it will be a good turnout of so cal bpl ers

anybody know about the snake situation at this site ?? hopefully its not like the sespe where we had to relocate a medium sized rattler that slithered right into camp
lol

kevin

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

Locale: Southern California
Snakes and other creatures on 02/09/2014 20:43:22 MST Print View

They have signs posted up there to watch out for rattlesnakes. I have yet to see one unlike the Sespe area where I encountered the fattest rattlesnake I've ever seen. We found this guy a few weeks ago in the camping area where the GGG will be. Just a harmless gopher snake.Gopher Snake

There are bears up there. They have food storage cabinets on site, not bear proof-more for squirrels, but I've never heard of the bears getting anyone's food. They like to forage in the trash cans. I sometimes hang food but more often than not just put my food in the cabinets. Some people bring bear canisters--your choice.

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal on 02/17/2014 21:52:10 MST Print View

Time to get this bumped up front again.

Great news from Jack at Borah Gear. He will be offering a Borah Gear tarp to the winner of a "contest" at the GGG. Details will be forthcoming later from Jack.

Plan on attending this event. Show off your stuff, learn from others, have some fun and maybe even win a Borah Gear tarp!

This is the link to the sign up page: http://tinyurl.com/GGGSOCAL

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal on 02/18/2014 16:56:58 MST Print View

The question about possibly showing movies at the event came up awhile back. What would be required if anyone wants to do that using an ipad, iphone or android phone is a HMDI cable from their device. They have a large screen TV at Henninger.

Angus A.
(mangus7175) - F

Locale: http://theshadedtrail.blogspot.com
Re: GGG/SoCal on 02/18/2014 17:38:14 MST Print View

HDMI Cable would be required on newer TV's. A short 4 foot cord doesn't weigh much :)

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal on 02/18/2014 18:44:34 MST Print View

The onset of dementia! HDMI cable is correct. If anyone decides to bring one Angus will carry it since it "doesn't weigh much."

Angus A.
(mangus7175) - F

Re: GGG/SoCal on 02/18/2014 18:50:04 MST Print View

LOL! Yoda always giving the young Padiwan a hard time ;)

If anyone wants to watch National Geographic's Pacific Crest Trail documentary, let me know.

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
Re: GGG/SoCal on 02/18/2014 19:57:06 MST Print View

Angus,

If it's to much weight just cut it in half and I'll carry 1 half, just kiddin.

On a serious note I was thinking of having a competition on Sat. probably all day Sat. since we may have some late arrivals.

The details,
I'm bringing 4 different tarps to show what we offer at Borahgear, the idea behind the competition will be for anyone that wants to enter this competition they will choose any of the 4 tarps they think they would like to own, then you will set it up in the best and most creative/imaginataive pitch you can come up with using what ever means you want, hiking poles, sticks, trees, you get the picture.(Guy lines will be provide, also stakes)

I will take pictures and names, then we will judge the set ups and the winner will receive the tarp that they set up at the gear swap, sorry there will only be one winner this year, so make it count!

The tarps will be

1. 5x9 with pull out panels
2. Borahgami sameside wings
3. Borahgami opposite side wings
4. 10x10 with multipule pull outs

I will also be bringing the "BIG BORAHGAMI" just to show people what it is capable of, but I'll be sleeping in this one. LOL

The dogs staying home on this one, my plate will be full all weekend, Aaahhh so sad.

I wanted to post this early so everyone that wanted to enter would know ahead of time, and also have a chance to compete, this is open to everyone, even if you haven't set up a tarp, so don't be shy, and we'll see you there.

Jack

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal on 02/24/2014 20:15:35 MST Print View

Time to bump this thread again. Things are looking up in So Cal. Two storms are due this week bringing some much needed rain keeping the dread extreme fire danger rating at bay in our local mountains for awhile. With luck we'll get a few more storms in March.

March 9th is the start of daylight savings so we'll reap the benefit of the extra daylight for the GGG event.

If anyone is thinking about coming in from out of the area via public transportation and has need of a ride it can be arranged. I have a few volunteers available.

There are some who are coming but didn't sign in on the "official" sign in sheet. Help me out and do that when you have a chance. Oh, and for those who've been silent out there you can sign up too.

GGG/SOCAL Signup

Steve B
(geokite) - F

Carpool from San Diego on 03/01/2014 13:01:04 MST Print View

Anyone in the San Diego area leaving Saturday morning want to carpool? Post here, I'm in the San Carlos area, near MTRP.

Steve

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal on 03/05/2014 23:11:47 MST Print View

Bumpy time. I'm happy to say there are now 32 planning to attend. If your still on the fence about coming just do it. It won't be long before we reach critical mass in terms of space at the reserved area. There will still be room in the other two camping areas if we fill up our space so no one will be turned away.

Brian Olson
(briguybro) - M

Locale: Orange County
Families on 03/07/2014 14:12:23 MST Print View

Are there any families going? I have camped there before and am planning on bringing my 2 year old and 3 month old. I'd love to see how other families do it.

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal on 03/07/2014 14:25:48 MST Print View

What's your 2 year old's base weight? :-) There are a couple of guys bringing children. One 4 year old and a 7 year old (I think). Others may be up there who have backpacked with their children you can compare notes with.
Looking forward to meeting you and the family.

Angus A.
(mangus7175) - F

Re: Families on 03/07/2014 14:46:42 MST Print View

I was just at Henninger a couple of weekends ago with my 8 year old. Took us about an hour fifteen to complete the hike. Lots of stops but that's a given.

I may take my daughter to this event...we'll see how she feels.

Brian Olson
(briguybro) - M

Locale: Orange County
Family setup on 03/07/2014 15:10:22 MST Print View

We carry about 35 lbs of gear for the four of us. The 2 year old is mostly carried in an Ergobaby carrier but she walks sometimes. The newborn is in a MYOG cotton gauze baby wrap. For this trip we are going to try not bringing a carrier for the 2 year old. She can ride on my shoulders if she gets tired. We will see how that goes.

Duane Bindschadler
(DLBVenice) - M

Locale: Venice
GGG/SoCal on 03/13/2014 19:55:00 MDT Print View

Looking forward to joining you on Sat/Sun and am bringing a friend (on Sunday) who I'm trying to bring around to a lighter-weight way of thinking. And I'll get a chance to use my new Borah Gear tarp that just arrived this week.

Angus A.
(mangus7175) - F

Re: GGG/SoCal on 03/13/2014 21:37:01 MDT Print View

Planning on hiking Friday evening...I should be at the trailhead by 7PM. Please save me a spot :)

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
MLD at SoCal GGG...sorta! on 03/14/2014 10:55:07 MDT Print View

Henniger Flats is a long way from Mountain Laurel Designs in Virginia, but I happen to have a small assortment of MLD mids, in a mix of silnylon and cuben, which I'd be glad to bring up for anyone who wants to see them in real life. Ron says I can be an unofficial MLD mid rep, and he'll send along some stickers, etc. I'll also bring some unofficial flyers of some of the new mids and tarps Ron's been coming up with recently.

So here's what I can bring:

Duomid, Cricket, Trailstar, Big Star, and an old Solo. I'll be camping in the Duo; which others should I bring?

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

MLD at SoCal GGG...sorta! on 03/14/2014 12:36:07 MDT Print View

"be an unofficial MLD mid rep"

Ya gotta start somewhere Stephen. Maybe you'll end up with a whole new career.

All kidding aside that great you'll be bringing up some of the MLD stuff. If anyone wants to see something specific from MLD speak up and/or contact Stephen.

I haven't actively solicited any vendors but I'll put out this informal invitation. If anyone wants to show or send info about any of their products arrangements can be made. This would be a cheap (like free other than shipping costs) way of advertising your wares. It might be like preaching to the choir but I know there will be some attendees who are trying to transition to the light side and are in the market for gear. Contact me direct via email for information.

Lance Cunningham
(Lancelot2u) - F

Locale: So. Cal.
San Diego Attendee on 03/16/2014 14:29:45 MDT Print View

Hi All, relatively new here to BPL. Heading up to JMT this summer in July. Bought a tent from Lonna, bag from Bayden, just need to locate my pack and I will be ready for April. Can fill in the blanks with my not so light gear stash that I have laying around. Are people heading up on Friday, or is most of the group heading up Saturday and Sunday?