Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » GGG in Southern CA

Display Avatars Sort By:
Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

Locale: Southern California
GGG/SoCal on 02/04/2014 15:39:45 MST Print View

Sometime this site drives me batty. I haven't received any emails regarding new postings in this thread. OK, enough complaining.

We're up to 24 including a tentative or two. Not counting the dogs. Jack and others this is a dog friendly gathering for friendly dogs. Common sense rules apply.

A gear swap/sale sounds great. You guys that were up at the big GGG--wasn't the gear swap done in the parking lot on Sunday? I'm not sure how we would handle it since there is no parking lot at the trail head, just street parking. Any ideas how to make it work would be appreciated.

All offers to help have been duly noted. I do appreciate it. I recruited some people before I first posted this just to CMA. As the event date approaches I may put out the call for additional assistance.

There is a small auditorium at Henninger in the Fire Dept. building. If anyone wants to bring a movie...no not one of those. Maybe backpacking related or....

Angus A.
(mangus7175) - F

Locale: http://theshadedtrail.blogspot.com
Re: GGG/SoCal on 02/04/2014 15:43:02 MST Print View

If people are willing to hike in with their wares, we can have it at camp. Or maybe have the gear swap and the nearby Eaton Canyon parking lot after?

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: GGG/SoCal on 02/04/2014 15:44:09 MST Print View

"There is a small auditorium at Henninger in the Fire Dept. building. If anyone wants to bring a movie...no not one of those. Maybe backpacking related or...."

Didn't get to use it at Ken's GGG, but I'd be happy to let you borrow my pico projector if it's actually going to get used, just pay shipping both ways. Someone would need an iPod Touch (with Lightning connector) or iPhone 5 with movies on it to connect to the projector and play a movie. I use a sheet of tyvek for the screen, I could send that too.

I find, though, that at GGGs, most people aren't that interested in a movie, they want to sit around a campfire and chat until late into the evening. FWIW.

Mike Stromsoe
(phstudio) - F - M

Locale: So. Cal.
Re: GGG/SoCal on 02/04/2014 16:03:52 MST Print View

I think the parking situation for out of towners is going to have to be figured out. There is no weekend street parking by the Pinecrest gate (you will get a ticket here) and I have no idea if overnight parking is allowed in the Equestrian Staging Area, which is normally used for overflow parking for the Eaton Canyon Nature Center parking lot.

If possible, maybe we could get some kind of parking waiver/permit for the Equestrian area from the County.

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal on 02/04/2014 16:38:51 MST Print View

I'm thinking about some options for the parking. It depends on the numbers. There is plenty of overnight street parking in the areas surrounding the trail head/Pinecrest drive area. If the numbers reach a point where parking might become an issue I hope to have an alternative plan in place. The Eaton Canyon parking lot may be an option.

Regarding using the Eaton Canyon lot for a gear swap (a good idea Angus) does anyone know if they're still charging an entry fee on the weekend to park there?

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal on 02/04/2014 16:51:39 MST Print View

Thanks for your generous offer Doug. I need to confirm what equipment they have on hand. I know they have a DVD player but if someone has a movie on their iphone that's another story. I see what response we get about showing a movie.
I agree that most people would prefer hanging around the campfire. The problem is that if the drought gets much worse in So. Cal. they'll be banning anything with a flame. We may just be looking at all the stoves rather than using them!

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Locale: Los Angeles, CA, USA
GGG/SoCal -- Topo Map of Henninger Flats on 02/04/2014 17:46:56 MST Print View

For those who haven't been before, I've created a marked-up topo map of Henninger Flats. The primary route, up the old Mt. Wilson Toll Road, is shown in green. Parking is prohibited on weekends right at the trailhead but is available one block west. Parking is also available from the Nature Center and the Equestrian Area. Alternate routes from the nature center are shown in gold and orange.

There are (at least) three separate camping areas up top. The largest is the lower area. It's pretty civilized with piped in water, picnic tables, and even flush toilets, but the flush toilets have been closed due to lack of water lately. Pit toilets are available.

The equestrian area might be a good spot for the Gear Swap. The Nature Center parking area gets pretty full on some weekends.

Just some thoughts,

HJ
Adventures In Stoving
Hikin' Jim's Blog

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: GGG/SoCal -- Topo Map of Henninger Flats on 02/04/2014 18:01:48 MST Print View

I'm at a bit of a loss for overnight parking around there. I can certainly check street signage within the next few days. New York Drive may be OK for overnight. I know the area around Pinecrest is off limits on weekends. I'll likely ride my bike over there, likely all the way up to camp.

Do you need a permit to camp there? For a group this big? Reservation? Just curious...I've been through there a hundred times but never stayed overnight.

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Re: Re: GGG/SoCal -- Topo Map of Henninger Flats on 02/04/2014 18:15:31 MST Print View

Craig,

I've done a couple of overnight trips out of that trailhead. I've parked on the streets west of Pinecrest without problems. However, it wouldn't hurt if you're over that way to confirm.

The "ranger" (a county fire employee) came around and wrote down our names when we camped up there one time, but we didn't have to get a permit in advance. For a group this size, it might be a good idea to plan ahead.

HJ
Adventures In Stoving
Hikin' Jim's Blog

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife

Locale: www.hikelighter.com
Re: GGG/SoCal on 02/04/2014 19:01:02 MST Print View

Hey Don, this being the first year for a GGG SoCal, you may not need it, but if you do or would like to have, I would be totally willing to duplicate the http://gggwest.com/ website that I threw together, for a SoCal GGG.

Mitchell Ebbott
(mebbott) - F - M

Locale: SoCal
Re: GGG/SoCal on 02/04/2014 19:23:02 MST Print View

If fires end up banned, I'll bring a DVD of the Yule Log so we can pretend.

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal on 02/04/2014 21:17:42 MST Print View

I can't turn around for a minute before you guys come up with something else.

1. John A.-A gracious offer. Let me dwell on it overnight. I might just take you up on it. As you say it's the first time for this event but it does seem to be gaining energy.

2. Regarding the reservations/parking. Reservations for all of Fuji Camp (the uppermost campground have been made. It it turns out we have more people came that are able to fit in that area we can reserve part of the Upper Campground (actually the middle one).

3. Parking. There is overnight street parking on Bowring Drive, Pinecrest Dr. south of Bowring and Crescent Drive south of Pinecrest. These are the closest parking areas. I've parked overnight up there many times and never had a problem. All of these streets are shown in the map link I posted initially. You can also zoom in and see where the cars are parked. Jim's topo map (thanks Jim) shows the same area but doesn't name all the streets.

http://tinyurl.com/ll5eagl

I have someone checking on the use of parking at Eaton Canyon. Frankly I feel safer leaving my car on the street near the trail head. I'm sure we can make use Eaton for a gear swap on Sun.

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal on 02/04/2014 21:40:50 MST Print View

Hey Mitchell--a DVD of a yule log may have to suffice unless someone is willing to haul an Amish fireplace and battery pack up there.

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
S.C.G.G.G. on 02/04/2014 21:52:42 MST Print View

Someone find me a cart for my dog to pull, and you've got yourself an Amish heater for the weekend!
My dog has the energy of 10 dogs even though she's not very big, only about 24lbs, but she's all business when it comes to hiking, l don't think it would even slow her down.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: S.C.G.G.G. on 02/04/2014 22:09:41 MST Print View

Jack, we expect that your dog has a Borah Gear water bowl by now.

--B.G.--

kevin smith
(divr6347) - M
really !! on 02/07/2014 07:51:51 MST Print View

first i have to sleep under a borah gear tarp next to jack and all his snoring
and now he tells us he is bringing that short legged mutt that is like a 24 volt battery on the trail lol (lots of energy he he ) so now i have to put up with snoring and now barking sheesh i cant get a break lol

KIDDING !!

kevin

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: really !! on 02/07/2014 08:30:59 MST Print View

Jack and Kevin:
I have some thank you cards and pictures from my students for the gear that you guys donated.
There's another group of nearly 12 backpacking up the Sespe this weekend using a lot of it. I never mailed them because I figured I'd see you guys in person….

Looking forward to it.

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Re: Re: really !! on 02/07/2014 08:57:02 MST Print View

Not to worry, Kevin. I am bringing an MSR Dragonfly stove which should effectively drown out Jack. I just love stove testing at 3:00 AM when there are no distractions, and you no doubt will too.

HJ

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal on 02/07/2014 12:27:12 MST Print View

Time to get organized. I need to get rid of some of these post it notes laying around.
I've created a simple sign sheet using Google Docs. Thanks to the people working on the east coast GGG for posting info about Gdocs.

Please go here to sign up http://tinyurl.com/GGGSOCAL

You'll have editing privileges so if things change you can change the info. There will will also be a link so everyone can see who's signed up (I think).

Edited by amrowinc on 02/08/2014 20:50:38 MST.

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SOCAL Sign Up on 02/08/2014 23:29:48 MST Print View

For some reason my last post didn't show up on the site as expected. The gist of it is there is a sign up form now for this little event. Please fill it out, only three questions, even if you've already posted your coming in this thread.

Go here: http://tinyurl.com/GGGSOCAL