Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » GGG in Southern CA

Display Avatars Sort By:
Lonna Myers
(Lonna) - M
GGG So Cal on 04/13/2014 21:17:40 MDT Print View

Thanks, Don, for planning such an awesome event! Here are some photos from the GGG So Cal.

http://s63.photobucket.com/user/Aussielvr1227/library/

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

Locale: Southern California
GGG/SoCal on 04/13/2014 21:59:45 MDT Print View

Thanks to everyone who came and participated in making this a fun event. Going by the low tech method used to record the attendance there were 40 people who came, some for the duration some for two days and a few day trippers.

I especially want to thank Ellen (Pearl) and Lonna (Roadrunner) for their assistance in setting up and photo taking.

Jon and Peggy Fon--what can I say? You fed the masses with your trail baking magic. I'm looking at my esbit tabs in a whole other light.

Jack Elliot the tarp (and movie screen) guru showed everyone some thinking outside the box tarp stuff plus doing some entertaining with the Canjo, also known as spam on a stick. I hope someone has some pictures of that.

Steve Barber came with a couple of MLD mids and donated the use of the new 2.5 to a couple, was that Andy Duncan and Candy?

What a fantastic variety of gear we had to look at and that's what a gathering of gear geeks is all about, right?

Check out Lonna's photo link. I know Angus has a bunch of shots also and hopefully will be sharing them.

Angus A.
(mangus7175) - F

Locale: http://theshadedtrail.blogspot.com
Re: GGG/SoCal on 04/13/2014 22:28:47 MDT Print View

Don, thank you for all your hard work putting this event together. It was great to meet other gear enthusiast, DIY'ers, and just great people in general.

Jon, thank you for the bacon, cheese, and that oh so good chocolate cake...mmmm

Jack, thanks for loaning me the Borah-Gami tarp, this will be put to good use when I head to Yosemite for the first time next month! Truly excited to try this very well made shelter!

Craig, thank for the hand-made mug, this will be forever in my kit and will be counted as part of my base weight moving forward :)

Adan, dude...thank you for the cold beers! You went beast mode carrying that up that hill on a warm day.

Really had a great time and it was really great to meet everyone. I look forward in seeing this event grow and I hope to be part of them every year.

Here are a few of the photos I took. Pardon the quality, these haven't been edited :/

http://s65.photobucket.com/user/mangus7175/slideshow/2014%20So%20Cal%20GGG

Edited by mangus7175 on 04/13/2014 22:29:56 MDT.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: GGG/SoCal on 04/14/2014 00:40:51 MDT Print View

Angus & Lorna,

Thanks for posting up links for your photos.

Looks like a great time and I recognize some familiar faces who have come up to the Bay Area GGGs.

Great to see Jack from Borah and Jon from Flat Cat at your GGG.

Don,

Congrats on pulling off a very successful SoCal GGG, which I hope is only the first of many to come in the following years.

Great looking signs you have there.....save them for next year.

Hope you have time to put together a post trip report on BPL.

The pictures will help let people see what they missed out on...and will help grow your GGG next year.

Awesome start!

Tony

Andy Duncan
(bluewater) - M

Locale: SoCal
Re: GGG/SoCal on 04/14/2014 15:13:42 MDT Print View

Thanks Don for organizing the first SoCal GGG. It was fun meeting so many BPL'ers and seeing all the gear. I've never seen so many Montbell jackets and cuben fiber shelters in one spot. Traveling through some familiar ground watching Mile. . . Mile and a Half while eating those brownies on Saturday night was awesome. We had a great time trying out the new MLD 2.5 Mid, there was plenty of room for two plus gear and more.

henninger flats

zorobabel frankenstein
(zorobabel) - F

SoCal GGG on 04/14/2014 20:26:00 MDT Print View

Thanks Don for organizing this event, a great location choice!
Thanks Jack for letting me try the solo tarp!
Thanks Jon for the baking demonstration and the food!
It was great meeting more SoCal BPL-ers ... and their gear :)

Marian

Edited by zorobabel on 04/14/2014 20:27:08 MDT.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
Socal GGG on 04/14/2014 22:25:17 MDT Print View

Yes +1 to a great event and finally a good size BPL meeting down in socal!! Thanks Don and all those that pitched in to make us all comfortable and welcome. I have to guess that picking a location so close to town was a big factor. And it turned out to be a cool spot, up away from other campers, almost like we had our own campground!

I was immediately greeted warmly by the group. And I dont think it was just because of all the cold beverages I carried, although it never hurts. Right away there was a gift for me, some baked goodies that somebody was cooking, and all kinds of cool tarpage to check out. Im not much of a gear geek, so I dont have gear knowledge to share or anything, but I had alot of fun chatting it up with the gang.

It was good to catch up with Jerry and Jack again. Where was Kevin and did I miss Hikin Jim dammit? It was good to make new acquaintances as well, hopefully I'll get to hike with some of these people some time. There was beer guzzling, fly casting, whiskey sipping, dog snuggling, spamjo jammin, wine toasting, this thing had it all.

I wish I couldve stayed a bit longer but I had to rise early and hike home for my date with the family that day. After some late night drinks and stories by the fire, I slid into my bag on the grass overlooking an awesome city light show. I had a weird night actually. I was kept up alot by the light drizzle on my face all night and by the incessant gophers gnawing on tree roots in the ground directly below my head! It was loud! My bag wet through completely. Also I didnt know about the gate situation so my early departure involved climbing over that 10ft barbed wire fence with my pack on. Luckily everyone made sure my pack was much lighter on the way out. :)

I'll be looking out for the next one! This was cool!

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Socal GGG on 04/14/2014 22:47:57 MDT Print View

Good event indeed. Thanks to all who put it on. Sorry if I wasn't there in the morning, I got the urge for a midnight hike and living so close I figured I'd sleep in my own bed. Based on Adan's wet gopher fun, it sounds like it was a good decision.

Angus, good to meet you, we'll get the kids out. Zorobabel Frankenstein my new Romanian friend, thanks for sharing your wine. Jack, Don, everyone, it was a pleasure.

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal on 04/14/2014 23:29:27 MDT Print View

Dang Adan, I was hoping some of what went on at Henninger would at Henninger. Now you've let the cat out of the bag.:) Hope the razor wire on top of the fence didn't do any damage to your vital parts.

Thanks to you and others for the glowing reviews. It makes me think of the possibility of GGG/SoCal 2015.

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

re: GGG/SoCal on 04/15/2014 13:59:37 MDT Print View

Don, it was great! Who would have thought you could watch "Vertical Limit" on a Borahgami???!!! Plus the campsite was the one place in all of SoCal that got any rain Saturday night - when I got home, I kept looking out the window wondering why it wasn't overcast and raining!

Thanks for all the comments on the MLD 2.5, and to Andy and Candy for giving it a night's test! See you all next year, if not sooner!

Steve B
(geokite) - F

Gopher? on 04/15/2014 21:11:07 MDT Print View

Gophers, ha! Thought that ground looked a bit bumpy over there!

Great time meeting everyone. Much appreciated warm, friendly atmosphere among all the talking groups during the entire stay. Good seeing all the shelters, two movies in one night, and what felt an isolated campground. Well, I guess there were gophers, hehe.

Adan, what did your dog do with all that knawing? And did you dog go under the fence that morning?

Cheers
Steve

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
gophers and barbed wire on 04/15/2014 22:28:49 MDT Print View

Yeah Steve, Max slinked through the gate and wagged his tail at me from the other side like it was so easy. And he didnt seem to lose any sleep over them gophers either. And did anyone hear the water trickling under ground? Angus you didnt slip anything into my drink(s) did you? 'cause it was a weird night. Anywho.

Angus A.
(mangus7175) - F

Locale: http://theshadedtrail.blogspot.com
Re: gophers and barbed wire on 04/16/2014 10:36:08 MDT Print View

HAHAHA! It was probably from all that watermelon ice I was vaping around you guys...or the spin-drift from India :)