Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
GGG in Southern CA
Display Avatars Sort By:
Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

Locale: Southern California
MLD at SoCal GGG on 04/03/2014 20:24:28 MDT Print View

I just looked at the shots of the 2.5. I'll be very interested to see it in person. Of course I'd really need to have one for 6 months or so to do a thorough evaluation.:-)

Thanks Stephen for doing the footwork to make this happen.

Andy Duncan
(bluewater)

Locale: SoCal
MLD at SoCal GGG on 04/03/2014 23:37:03 MDT Print View

Looking forward to seeing the new MLD 2.5 Mid. For anyone who missed these on FB here are a few pxts:

Mid

Mld2

Edited for pxts

Edited by bluewater on 04/03/2014 23:38:49 MDT.

zorobabel frankenstein
(zorobabel) - F

Re: GGG/SoCal Parking on 04/04/2014 01:05:05 MDT Print View

Thanks Don!
"I'll be parking at the nearest legal street parking spot. :-) There is plenty of street parking near the trailhead."

I just signed up.

Edited by zorobabel on 04/04/2014 21:07:51 MDT.

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal on 04/05/2014 15:12:11 MDT Print View

The weather report is very good for next weekend. There was some potential rain but that seems to have gone away. Maybe some clouds on Fri with Sat/Sun clear. Temps at around 70 during the day and low 50's at night. I love the CA weather.

Mike Stromsoe
(phstudio) - F - M

Locale: So. Cal.
Re: GGG/SoCal Gear Swap Items on 04/05/2014 15:54:07 MDT Print View

For the Gear Swap I'll be bringing a single wall Tarptent Moment, a Jack's R Better Sierra Sniveler 25-30 degree (was advertised as 20 degrees when I bought it) quilt with the old 8" baffle design and a very lightly used MSR Sweetwater filter. I can provide pictures if necessary or you can see them in person.

I look forward to being there.

Mike Young
(klackamas) - F - MLife

Locale: ingreentrees@yahoo.com
swap on 04/06/2014 09:24:45 MDT Print View

I have so much stuff for swap. Did everyone decide where and when the swap will take place?

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal Swap on 04/06/2014 09:58:15 MDT Print View

I couldn't get anyone to donate the use of their parking lot for the swap. I guess they don't realize who we all are!
The plan is to have the swap at the Eaton Canyon equestrian parking area. I'll create a map showing where that is and post the link later. It's only a mile or so down the road from the trailhead.
I'm thinking we'll plan on gathering there about 12pm giving everyone time to have breakfast, break camp and head back to their cars. Other suggestions anyone?

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
GGG/SoCal Swap on 04/06/2014 11:31:09 MDT Print View

Morning Don,

I can't remember, is anyone/someone bringing names tags?

Edited by jumpbackjack on 04/06/2014 11:31:44 MDT.

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SOCAL Nametags on 04/06/2014 13:41:37 MDT Print View

Yes indeed I have the nametags made so everyone can tell who's who. The problem will be getting everyone to wear them. :-)

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal Swap on 04/06/2014 17:26:27 MDT Print View

On second thought I've decided the Eaton Canyon parking is too much of a zoo on Sundays. I was up there about noon today and it was absolutely full to say nothing of the Sheriffs cruiser sitting there to keep people from parking where they shouldn't. I think some of you mentioned early on about it being crowded.
Further down the road is Victory Park where there was lots of activity but plenty of parking available to that's where we'll hold the swap.

Map link: http://goo.gl/maps/fkEQx

Mike Young
(klackamas) - F - MLife

Locale: ingreentrees@yahoo.com
water on 04/06/2014 18:08:46 MDT Print View

I read that water is available at Henninger flats. Can someone verify that for me? I would hate to lug a weekends worth of water uphill.

also I registered as coming in on saturday, but i think we decided to come up friday night instead. Not sure if it's important to let you know.

Edited by klackamas on 04/06/2014 18:13:45 MDT.

Mike Stromsoe
(phstudio) - F - M

Re: water on 04/06/2014 18:36:38 MDT Print View

There is definitely water available up there. In the past the water at Henniger was treated by the County, but the last time I was up there they had a sign tell you to treat the water. They may have rectified the problem since then, but I would bring water treatment just in case.

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

re: re: water on 04/06/2014 21:20:27 MDT Print View

Good to know! Thanks!

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal Water on 04/06/2014 22:19:16 MDT Print View

As I understand it there has been no change in the water at Henninger. They did post a sign about treating the water due to the system they've been using for years not meeting the regulatory agencies requirements. I asked the fire dept. personnel up there if they drank the water as is and the answer was yes. The county has budgeted for upgrades to the water system but who knows when that project will start.
I've never treated water up there but if anyone is concerned please do treat/filter/zap as needed.

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal Movie Program on 04/08/2014 19:09:51 MDT Print View

I decided to fit in a movie or two. Showing for your pleasure and enjoyment will be the Muir Project's "Mile, Mile & A Half" about hiking the John Muir Trail and/or the PCT Class of 2011 film about hiking the Pacific Crest Trail during the epic snow year of 2011.

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Movies and Mids on 04/08/2014 21:04:20 MDT Print View

Sounds fun - who's bringing a microwave to make popcorn? ;)

Back on MLD mids: Does anyone want to see in person:

- A Duomid (silnylon or cuben)?
- A Cricket (silnylon or cuben)?
- a Trailstar (silnylon)?
- a Bigstar (Large sized Trailstar, silnylon)?

If so, please tell me, either here or via PM. Otherwise, I will just pack in the Prototype 2.5 mid to show and use. I'm not going to pack in the old favorite mids unless someone want to see them in person - just old and lazy, I guess!.

Lonna Myers
(Lonna) - M
Re: GGG/SoCal Movie Program on 04/08/2014 22:02:02 MDT Print View

Hey Don, I also have "Six Million Steps-A Journey Inward" to contribute. It is a documentary about the PCT.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: GGG/SoCal Movie Program on 04/08/2014 22:03:56 MDT Print View

If I can only make it up for a day I'm assuming Saturday would be best?

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal Movies + on 04/08/2014 23:35:04 MDT Print View

Sure Lonna bring the CD maybe we'll do two nights of movies. I'll have to work on the popcorn issue.:-)

Yes Craig Sat. would be the day to come since most of the activity will be on that day.

If anyone is planning to come up very late on Friday the trailhead gate locked at night as far as I know. Does anyone have any personal experience about when the gate actually does get locked?

Mike Stromsoe
(phstudio) - F - M

Re: GGG/SoCal Movies + on 04/09/2014 00:07:55 MDT Print View

"Does anyone have any personal experience about when the gate actually does get locked?"

They lock the gate at sunset. The first and only time I used that gate I got locked in. I'm guessing I missed the cut off by less than 30 minutes. Anyway, unless you're very familiar with the area at night, the only other sensible way is to enter, on foot, through the Eaton Canyon Nature Center parking lot as marked on this map: http://goo.gl/TdiI5g Just take the main trail (it's a dirt road esentialy) to the Mt Wilson road. Make sure you go up to the bridge and not under.

Edited by phstudio on 04/09/2014 00:17:56 MDT.