GGG in Southern CA
Display Avatars Sort By:
Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
Popcorn and a Movie on 04/09/2014 02:01:56 MDT Print View

I don't know about everyone else, but this is my plan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xyy5qqyZ4Q

Also, If I come up late Fri. night I won't be able to get in the gate, so I will need to enter at another entrance is that right?

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

Locale: Southern California
GGG/SoCal Late Arrival on 04/09/2014 13:16:34 MDT Print View

I believe they lock the gate to the Eaton Canyon Nature Center parking area at sunset also. Does anyone have info to the contrary about this?

There is another trailhead entry and small parking area on Altadena Dr. south of the Pinecrest trailhead. I don't believe there is a gate there so that's about the only entry to go in after dark unless one wants to climb a fence.

This shot from Google Maps doesn't show a gate. http://goo.gl/maps/79wGx

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

late arrivals on 04/09/2014 13:48:07 MDT Print View

What time does the gate open on Saturday morning?

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal Late Arrival on 04/09/2014 14:03:01 MDT Print View

The Pinecrest gate is supposed to be open at sunrise (approximately 6:30am).

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

late arrivals on 04/09/2014 14:09:41 MDT Print View

If it's a positive that the other entry has no gate I'll probably do that Friday, is that location okay to leave the car all weekend without getting a ticket or towed?

Mike Stromsoe
(phstudio) - F - M

Locale: So. Cal.
Altadena Dr. entry on 04/09/2014 15:31:48 MDT Print View

In my last post I listed the only sensible night entry. While I do use the Altadena Dr. entrance, it is not very easy to navigate in the dark. At this point of entry it is an overgrown wash with dozens of possible pathways across. Many can and do dead end. I'm not sure if I have ever even gone exactly the same way twice before. That said, I've been there so many times I really haven't given it much thought before.

I have some time this afternoon. I'll scout out possible overnight parking around the Eaton Canyon entrance and I'll see if there is an easy direct route across the wash at the Altadena Dr. Gate.

For the really adventurous, here is the location of the gate on Altadena Dr. from the Pine Crest Gate: http://goo.gl/Ql112X

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

late arrivals on 04/09/2014 15:34:16 MDT Print View

Thanks Mike

Mike Stromsoe
(phstudio) - F - M

Re: late arrivals on 04/09/2014 19:33:07 MDT Print View

I ran into a Sheriff's deputy when checking the Altadena gate. He said they lock the Pinecrest entrance and Eaton Canyon parking lot gates at 7 P.M.

Now I think the Altadena gate is pretty doable. When you get to the wash level from the elevated street level, you'll come to a four-way trail junction. just continue straight (North) and you'll get to the dirt road on the other side of the wash. You can see the junction on the Google map I posted. Might be a little spooky at night, but doable.

That said, I would still enter from the Eaton Canyon parking lot. There does not appear to be any restrictions on street parking in the vicinity of the parking lot on Altadena Dr. the gate is locked to vehicles, but is still very accessible on foot to the right of the driveway gate.

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal on 04/10/2014 10:23:09 MDT Print View

Last call!!! If anyone is saying to themselves, "self, I should have signed up" don't fret. Just show up. This is an hour or less drive to the trailhead for the multitude of BPL's out there in So. Cal. area. The weather report is for some clouds and a bit of wind:

Per NOAA
Friday Mostly sunny, with a high near 76. Light south southeast wind becoming south southwest 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Friday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 59. South southwest wind 10 to 15 mph becoming light south in the evening. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Saturday Mostly sunny, with a high near 65. North northwest wind 5 to 15 mph becoming southwest in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Saturday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 57.
Sunday Sunny, with a high near 67.

I'll be on my way up in the morning but there is spotty cell coverage along the way and in camp. If anyone gets lost, needs info etc. TEXT me at 626 485-4696.

There will be GGG signs posted at the Pinecrest trailhead and at Henninger Flats. Remember our camp area is Fuji which is up the hill to the right (east) and past what is called upper camp.

See ya all in camp.

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

S.C.G.G. on 04/10/2014 11:24:31 MDT Print View

Don and others,it looks like I may have 3-4 tarps to bring after all,depending on how many I can finish up tonight,we still may be able to have the tarp set up on Saturday.

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SOCAL on 04/10/2014 16:21:23 MDT Print View

Do what you can Jack but don't overdo it? :-)

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: MLD Proto at SoCal GGG on 04/10/2014 19:28:44 MDT Print View

"so I'll bring my JMT pencil and onionskin notebook to record your ideas!"

I don't do groups or collaborate. But, that looks interesting. Almost makes me want to cancel my planned trip and talk lead with you :)

You might want to bring your new pack and share. Not many people have seen one.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: MLD Proto at SoCal GGG on 04/10/2014 19:30:57 MDT Print View

"talk lead"

You're just a pencil-neck geek unless you talk graphite.

--B.G.--

Brian Olson
(briguybro) - M

Locale: Orange County
Starting on 04/11/2014 13:04:15 MDT Print View

We just parked on a street near the trailhead and are waiting for the 2 year old to wake up from a nap. We will be starting soon and it should take us quite a few hours with the 2 year old walking. Anyone hiking this afternoon might see us on the way up.

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

I'm ready on 04/11/2014 14:12:36 MDT Print View

I finished the tarps and will likely be up early Saturday morning, see everyone there.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
GGG on 04/11/2014 14:51:06 MDT Print View

Whaaaatt? A socal GGG? in my own back yard?? I'm there! I just heard about this last week and I'm hoping I can swing by for a visit. I'm not too worried about where to sleep or anything, i can slide into a bush somewhere, so I hope it's not a problem for me to just pop in last minute. I hope to see you guys there.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: GGG/SOCAL on 04/11/2014 19:07:03 MDT Print View

You kids have fun. I'm looking forward to the detailed trip report and a s#@&oad of photos.

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: Re: GGG/SOCAL on 04/12/2014 16:23:36 MDT Print View

Those guys and gals are cliffed over L.A. with cell reception.
They can have live feed from the GGG if they want to.

Was there last night until this morning. Lots of peeps showing up when I left.
Should be a great time today.

Lance Cunningham
(Lancelot2u) - F

Huge Thank You to Don and All Involved Putting This Together on 04/13/2014 15:08:57 MDT Print View

Hi All,

I just want to post a huge thank you to Don for putting this event together and anyone else that may have been responsible for its successful implementation, vendors that brought equipment, vendors that supplied equipment and for those that participated this weekend. What a great event and a great time had by all. Everyone played well together in the sandbox, and smiles were everywhere to be seen. It was great!

*Seeing the movie at night regarding the JMT was absolutely inspiring. Then to hear all your stories about your adventures on the JMT in particular, and all the other venues everyone has hiked, left me feeling very humble to be on this adventure. I am glad to have met up with such a cool group of people with such diversity and spirit for living. Very cool.

THANK YOU!!!

Now, for those of you that helped blow my pack up for the JMT... here is what happened after I walked through the door at my buddy's house. I unpacked everything only minutes through the door, and just went at it. After your suggestions, especially Don, Ellen, and Lonna.... We are down a fricken HUGE, 10 pounds 12 ounces from when I went up the hill. I see more and more as I walk by with the stuff on the floor, which is good, so more to follow. Now, Plastidip, french press, and hammock aside, we made a lot of progress. Thanks for all your support and suggestions guys. Great time had here and everyone has inspired me to look at what is NECESSARY, and pack light.

Unnecessary Crap:Deleted Items

Edited by Lancelot2u on 04/13/2014 15:34:56 MDT.

Jon Fong
(jonfong) - F - M

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR
GGG / So Cal ! Thank you Don! on 04/13/2014 16:08:55 MDT Print View

My hats off to Don for organizing the GGG/SoCal edition! After attending the GGG/Henry Coe, I knew that I couldn't miss this one as it is right in my backyard. It was great meeting everyone and I hope that you had as much fun as I did. Best regards – Jon & Peggy.