Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » GGG in Southern CA

Display Avatars Sort By:
Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

Locale: Southern California
GGG in Southern CA on 01/26/2014 20:31:00 MST Print View

GGG in Southern Ca

Time to take action and stop thinking about this! Our northern brethren have been having far too much fun for far too long. It’s time all the BPL members in So. California meet and greet. I have some open time before getting out on the trail for extended trips so I’m formally announcing a GGG gathering. I realize this may be too short a notice for some but I wanted to wait to announce it until after the big GGG.

When: April 11-13

Where: Henninger Flats in the San Gabriel Mountains above Pasadena. Water, pit toilets and firewood provided. There are no fire rings but there are standing camp stoves with open fronts. The facility is operated by the County of Los Angeles Fire Dept. It's about a 2.5 mile hike with a 1400' elevation gain.

Map: http://tinyurl.com/ll5eagl

Cost: $0 (Unless I get a bill from Ken charging for using the GGG name)

This is all still in it’s planning/organizing infancy but Ken and others have posted a lot of very useful info about the GGG trips up north so it won’t be a total wing it affair. As an incentive everyone in attendance will receiver a free lightweight gear gift (don't expect anything with cuben fiber in it!).

The campground does not have unlimited space but for now there is no limit on the number of attendees. This could change of course.

More info will be forthcoming.

Edited by amrowinc on 02/22/2014 10:41:53 MST.

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
re: GGG in Southern CA on 01/26/2014 20:52:19 MST Print View

March 11-13 is midweek, right? We might get more people if it's moved to the weekend.

Whatever! I'm good for March 11-13, or the weekend of March 14-16.

Great idea, Don, and good job on making it happen!

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: GGG in Southern CA on 01/26/2014 21:04:13 MST Print View

Pretty sure there are no fire allowed at all in the San Gabriels?
At least all the places I've been.

Edited by awsorensen on 02/03/2014 23:19:24 MST.

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG in Southern CA on 01/26/2014 21:04:59 MST Print View

Crips...I forgot to post the diclaimer that all errors are due to age and changes are sure to follow. The correct dates are April 11-13.

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

re: GGG in Southern CA on 01/26/2014 21:26:25 MST Print View

April...not so good, but I could come Saturday afternoon/evening through Sunday.

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

Fire Restictions etc. on 01/26/2014 21:31:32 MST Print View

Arron, "Not all backpackers are retired." I'm not really retired. Backpacking is my Job but I have to work occasionally when I'm not backpacking.

Henninger Flats is not part of the Angeles National Forest (as I read the boundry line on my map) and is subject to the County of LA Fire Dept. As of today they aren't allowing fires in the camp stoves.

Come April it's hard to say what the restrictions or lack thereof will be.

The current fire condition level in the San Gabriel Mts. (Angeles National Forest) is "very high" but fires are still allowed in stoves and fire rings in designated sites.

More info here: http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/angeles/home/?cid=fsbdev3_027721

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG in Southern CA on 01/26/2014 21:36:12 MST Print View

Sat afternoon through Sun should work well Stephen. Fri will be more of a set up day. I'm not sure if there will be any scheduled activities that day. Heck there may be no scheduled activities on Sat for that matter. We'll see how this all plays out.

Don

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
GGG in Southern CA on 01/26/2014 21:39:55 MST Print View

Don

I'll try and make this one to represent Borahgear, I couldn't make the one up north due to a severe Gout attack, It's still hangin on! after 2 weeks, I don't think I have any plans that weekend so count me in.

I will bring some of the gear that we make to show others what we have available.

Jack

kevin smith
(divr6347) - M
southern ggg on 01/26/2014 22:23:39 MST Print View

HEY

dont forget me lol

just got back from ggg 6 5th time attendee and yet again another awesome trip

count me in and jack i hope you have lots of fuel money since its so far for me to come pick you up for the trip (3 blocks around the corner lol )

anyway count me in would love to check out the southern hiking options

kevin

Jeff Sims
(jeffreytsims) - MLife

Locale: So. Cal
This sound fun on 01/26/2014 23:00:41 MST Print View

Looking forward to it!!

Edited by jeffreytsims on 01/27/2014 16:01:00 MST.

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG in Southern CA on 01/26/2014 23:19:38 MST Print View

Thanks for all the initial response. I almost feel like this is cutting into all the happy chatter from all the people who just came back from the big GGG up north.

Jack, that would be super if you can make it. I've been very happy with my Borah Stealth backpack and I just returned from a trip today and one member of the group was feeling warm and toasty in a pair of the Borah Down pants.

Don

Angus A.
(mangus7175) - F

Locale: http://theshadedtrail.blogspot.com
Re: GGG in Southern CA on 01/27/2014 00:25:51 MST Print View

I'll definitely be there :)

Andy Duncan
(bluewater) - M

Re: GGG in Southern Cal on 01/27/2014 03:20:37 MST Print View

Great idea! I've missed the GGG's up north, it will be good to have something closer to home.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: GGG in Southern CA on 01/27/2014 09:02:13 MST Print View

You're holding this event in my backyard….I'll be there.

Mitchell Ebbott
(mebbott) - F - M

Re: GGG in Southern CA on 01/27/2014 15:04:24 MST Print View

That's a 15 minute drive for me, I guess I have no choice but to go!

One question though, and forgive the noobness: what does GGG stand for, and what exactly is it?

Angus A.
(mangus7175) - F

Re: Re: GGG in Southern CA on 01/27/2014 15:50:48 MST Print View

GGG - Gathering of Gear Geeks :)

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal on 01/27/2014 16:37:41 MST Print View

GGG--What is it? This recent post by Tony Wong explains the history and some of what GGG is about. Thank you Tony and also thanks for the write up/interview of Ken Thompson regarding advise for organizing a GGG. It's been my planning guide since I decided to do the GGG/SoCal.

--------------------------------------

What is the G.G.G and its History on 01/24/2014 23:49:54 MST Reply Report Post Print View

Matthew,

The G.G.G. stands for Gathering of Gear Geeks, which has been an annual winter gathering of lightweight/ultralight backpackers in the California Bay Area.

This is the 6th year that it is being held.

It is open to anyone....traditional and lightweight backpackers, anyone interested in learning about UL backpacking.

The 1st one was organized by Ken Helwig, a BPL member, and was held at Point Reyes, CA. and had about 15-17 people attend.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=18317

Successive G.G.G. were co-organized by Ken Helwig and Ken Thompson until we outgrew the group sites there.

At that point, the G.G.G. was moved to Henry Coe State Park in CA/Bay Area, which would allow groups of up to 100 people.

Eventually, Ken Thompson became the sole organizer of the G.G.G with generous help from fellow BPLers who donated water and firewood, which the Rangers at Henry Coe State Park would allow to be trucked into the group sites.

Recently, UL Cottage Gear Manufactures have been coming out to the G.G.G. to enjoy the gathering and to show their products. In fact, last year we have had Ron Moak from Six Moon designs with Brian Frankle, founder of ULA Backpacks, announce a new partnership and showed pro-type product and to get feedback from the UL Community via the GGG attendees.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=72766

People have traveled from all across California to attend and we have had a handful of people fly in from other States to attend.

What is nice about the G.G.G., in my opinion, is that it is a great way to check out the large variety of UL/Lightweight gear that you typically can only see in photos online. More importantly, it is about people making friends, sharing their love of the outdoors, swapping stories, sharing knowledge, finding people to take backpacking trips with....etc.

It is casual and inclusive- everyone is welcome, no matter if they are new to backpacking or long time travelers.

Within the past two years, there have been other G.G.G.s that have popped up around the U.S./country.

Hope this helps explain what the G.G.G. is.

Tony

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
GGG in Southern CA on 01/27/2014 18:17:07 MST Print View

Very cool. Been a while since you guys had something like this go on. Have fun!

Here is a link to another attempt down your way.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=84522

No charge for using the GGG trademarked brand name.

Kevin and Jack put on a meeting a couple of years ago.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=44390

Edited by kthompson on 01/27/2014 18:24:51 MST.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: GGG in Southern CA on 01/27/2014 18:25:20 MST Print View

Some of more illustrious So Cal BPLers will be doing a big run the week before in Zion and may not be able to attend.

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal on 01/27/2014 22:45:08 MST Print View

Thanks Ken for those links and for you blessing on the use of GGG. I guess I won't have to kiss the ring after all.:-)

Regarding the group doing the run in Zion I think following that up with a few days of RR at a GGG event would be just the ticket. Then again I'm not a runner so what do I know.

If the weather cooperates we'll be enjoying a great view of the city and possibly all the way to Catalina Island from our location at 2860'

Mike Young
(klackamas) - F - MLife

Locale: ingreentrees@yahoo.com
I'm in! on 01/30/2014 20:59:33 MST Print View

I'll be there with four friends. Save us some space!

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal on 01/30/2014 21:32:11 MST Print View

There's till plenty of room Mike. I'm glad to see the numbers growing. There are a few ideas rolling around in my head that really depend on a fairly high head count to implement.

Spread the work folks.

At one time there was a feature on the site that showed the location of BPL members on a google map. As I remember you could enter a zip code or select area and it would have pins showing member locations. Maybe I'm imagining this. Does anyone out there remember or know if that feature is still around.

Andy Duncan
(bluewater) - M

Member Map on 01/30/2014 21:36:55 MST Print View

Don, here's a link to the BPL member map:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/mb_post_form.html?po=reply&note_id=447868&forum_thread_id=53151

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

Member Map on 01/30/2014 21:41:23 MST Print View

That was quick. Thanks Andy.

Jon Fong
(jonfong) - F - M

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR
GGG Southern CA on 01/30/2014 22:17:59 MST Print View

I will pencil in the date. I should have a bunch of new products to demonstrate. Best regards - Jon

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal on 01/30/2014 23:44:43 MST Print View

Outstanding Jon. I guarantee there will be a bunch of people there who would love to see your products in action. Can you do pizza yet?

Jon Fong
(jonfong) - F - M

GGG south pizza? on 01/31/2014 00:10:51 MST Print View

I can make pizzas!

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal on 01/31/2014 08:59:33 MST Print View

Pizzas!!! Jon, your liable to totally change what and how I cook on the trail.

Brian Crain
(brcrain) - F

Locale: So Cal
re: on 01/31/2014 18:17:00 MST Print View

Mark me as tentative - already scheduled a trip that weekend but I might be able to wiggle out of it, at least for Saturday.

Jerry Bridgeman
(jerry2636) - MLife

Locale: Huntington Beach, Ca.
I will be there on 01/31/2014 19:08:48 MST Print View

Sounds like fun.
See you guys there.

Jerry

Ellen Conley
(Pearl) - MLife

RSVP on 02/01/2014 19:21:37 MST Print View

I'll be there. I think this is a great idea. Thanks Don :-)

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal on 02/01/2014 21:36:56 MST Print View

I'm encouraged by the growing numbers of signups. This utube clip was was created by a member of a backpacking club I belong too. It's from a recent trip to Henninger Flats and will give everyone who hasn't been there a good overview of the hike up and the campground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdTnsMXpC80

Mike Stromsoe
(phstudio) - F - M

Locale: So. Cal.
GGG in Southern CA on 02/02/2014 03:19:20 MST Print View

Cool, I'm 10 minutes away from the Eaton Canyon parking lot. Count me in.

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

S.C.G.G.G. on 02/02/2014 23:56:48 MST Print View

Don,
Thanks for putting this together, if you need any help or ideas for the weekend please pm me.

Jon,
I can't wait to meet you I have one of the first Focus Fire 14 stoves, I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I will.
I'm really interested in seeing you bake, this is something that I've wanted to incorperate into my backpacking experience, so it will be good to finally meet you and check out the rest of your stoves.

To the rest of the crew some I know and some soon to know, I'll see you there!

If I counted right we have a head count of about 20 so far.

Jack

Edited by jumpbackjack on 02/02/2014 23:59:15 MST.

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Locale: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Re: S.C.G.G.G. on 02/03/2014 18:10:33 MST Print View

An SC GGG? Heck yeah. I'm in. Not sure if I can come on Friday, but for sure Sat - Sun (pending approval from she-who-must-be-obeyed). Probably bring my daughter (age 4).

HJ
Adventures In Stoving
Hikin' Jim's Blog

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

S.C.G.G.G. on 02/03/2014 18:29:14 MST Print View

Hey Jim,
it'll be good to see you again, if anyone wants some Silnylon I have a lot of left over pieces from the traps that I make.
These pieces are good for stuff sacks, and I have some bigger pieces as well, let me know if anyone is interested and I'll bring the 50 gallon trash bag that's full.

@Don, are we going to have a gear swap?

P.S. Forgot to mention the scrap pieces are free.

Edited by jumpbackjack on 02/03/2014 18:31:05 MST.

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Re: GGG/SoCal on 02/03/2014 22:57:28 MST Print View

Gear swap is MANDATORY. lol

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Re: Re: GGG/SoCal on 02/03/2014 23:18:51 MST Print View

+1 on gear swap.

I'll be there and with a dog or 2.

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

RE S.C.G.G.G. on 02/03/2014 23:49:30 MST Print View

I may bring my Border Collie/Mc Nabb mix along also, will see what the weather looks like when it's gets closer to the event.

The dog may distract me from trying to show the gear I'm bringing for Borahgear, would it even be appropriate to bring my dog if I'm representing Borahgear?

Thoughts anyone?

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: RE S.C.G.G.G. on 02/04/2014 00:27:17 MST Print View

Jack, put a dog jacket on the dog. On the sides of the jacket, you print the Borah Gear name or logo. That way, the dog serves multiple uses.

--B.G.--

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal on 02/04/2014 15:39:45 MST Print View

Sometime this site drives me batty. I haven't received any emails regarding new postings in this thread. OK, enough complaining.

We're up to 24 including a tentative or two. Not counting the dogs. Jack and others this is a dog friendly gathering for friendly dogs. Common sense rules apply.

A gear swap/sale sounds great. You guys that were up at the big GGG--wasn't the gear swap done in the parking lot on Sunday? I'm not sure how we would handle it since there is no parking lot at the trail head, just street parking. Any ideas how to make it work would be appreciated.

All offers to help have been duly noted. I do appreciate it. I recruited some people before I first posted this just to CMA. As the event date approaches I may put out the call for additional assistance.

There is a small auditorium at Henninger in the Fire Dept. building. If anyone wants to bring a movie...no not one of those. Maybe backpacking related or....

Angus A.
(mangus7175) - F

Re: GGG/SoCal on 02/04/2014 15:43:02 MST Print View

If people are willing to hike in with their wares, we can have it at camp. Or maybe have the gear swap and the nearby Eaton Canyon parking lot after?

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: GGG/SoCal on 02/04/2014 15:44:09 MST Print View

"There is a small auditorium at Henninger in the Fire Dept. building. If anyone wants to bring a movie...no not one of those. Maybe backpacking related or...."

Didn't get to use it at Ken's GGG, but I'd be happy to let you borrow my pico projector if it's actually going to get used, just pay shipping both ways. Someone would need an iPod Touch (with Lightning connector) or iPhone 5 with movies on it to connect to the projector and play a movie. I use a sheet of tyvek for the screen, I could send that too.

I find, though, that at GGGs, most people aren't that interested in a movie, they want to sit around a campfire and chat until late into the evening. FWIW.

Mike Stromsoe
(phstudio) - F - M

Re: GGG/SoCal on 02/04/2014 16:03:52 MST Print View

I think the parking situation for out of towners is going to have to be figured out. There is no weekend street parking by the Pinecrest gate (you will get a ticket here) and I have no idea if overnight parking is allowed in the Equestrian Staging Area, which is normally used for overflow parking for the Eaton Canyon Nature Center parking lot.

If possible, maybe we could get some kind of parking waiver/permit for the Equestrian area from the County.

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal on 02/04/2014 16:38:51 MST Print View

I'm thinking about some options for the parking. It depends on the numbers. There is plenty of overnight street parking in the areas surrounding the trail head/Pinecrest drive area. If the numbers reach a point where parking might become an issue I hope to have an alternative plan in place. The Eaton Canyon parking lot may be an option.

Regarding using the Eaton Canyon lot for a gear swap (a good idea Angus) does anyone know if they're still charging an entry fee on the weekend to park there?

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal on 02/04/2014 16:51:39 MST Print View

Thanks for your generous offer Doug. I need to confirm what equipment they have on hand. I know they have a DVD player but if someone has a movie on their iphone that's another story. I see what response we get about showing a movie.
I agree that most people would prefer hanging around the campfire. The problem is that if the drought gets much worse in So. Cal. they'll be banning anything with a flame. We may just be looking at all the stoves rather than using them!

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

GGG/SoCal -- Topo Map of Henninger Flats on 02/04/2014 17:46:56 MST Print View

For those who haven't been before, I've created a marked-up topo map of Henninger Flats. The primary route, up the old Mt. Wilson Toll Road, is shown in green. Parking is prohibited on weekends right at the trailhead but is available one block west. Parking is also available from the Nature Center and the Equestrian Area. Alternate routes from the nature center are shown in gold and orange.

There are (at least) three separate camping areas up top. The largest is the lower area. It's pretty civilized with piped in water, picnic tables, and even flush toilets, but the flush toilets have been closed due to lack of water lately. Pit toilets are available.

The equestrian area might be a good spot for the Gear Swap. The Nature Center parking area gets pretty full on some weekends.

Just some thoughts,

HJ
Adventures In Stoving
Hikin' Jim's Blog

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: GGG/SoCal -- Topo Map of Henninger Flats on 02/04/2014 18:01:48 MST Print View

I'm at a bit of a loss for overnight parking around there. I can certainly check street signage within the next few days. New York Drive may be OK for overnight. I know the area around Pinecrest is off limits on weekends. I'll likely ride my bike over there, likely all the way up to camp.

Do you need a permit to camp there? For a group this big? Reservation? Just curious...I've been through there a hundred times but never stayed overnight.

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Re: Re: GGG/SoCal -- Topo Map of Henninger Flats on 02/04/2014 18:15:31 MST Print View

Craig,

I've done a couple of overnight trips out of that trailhead. I've parked on the streets west of Pinecrest without problems. However, it wouldn't hurt if you're over that way to confirm.

The "ranger" (a county fire employee) came around and wrote down our names when we camped up there one time, but we didn't have to get a permit in advance. For a group this size, it might be a good idea to plan ahead.

HJ
Adventures In Stoving
Hikin' Jim's Blog

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Re: GGG/SoCal on 02/04/2014 19:01:02 MST Print View

Hey Don, this being the first year for a GGG SoCal, you may not need it, but if you do or would like to have, I would be totally willing to duplicate the http://gggwest.com/ website that I threw together, for a SoCal GGG.

Mitchell Ebbott
(mebbott) - F - M

Re: GGG/SoCal on 02/04/2014 19:23:02 MST Print View

If fires end up banned, I'll bring a DVD of the Yule Log so we can pretend.

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal on 02/04/2014 21:17:42 MST Print View

I can't turn around for a minute before you guys come up with something else.

1. John A.-A gracious offer. Let me dwell on it overnight. I might just take you up on it. As you say it's the first time for this event but it does seem to be gaining energy.

2. Regarding the reservations/parking. Reservations for all of Fuji Camp (the uppermost campground have been made. It it turns out we have more people came that are able to fit in that area we can reserve part of the Upper Campground (actually the middle one).

3. Parking. There is overnight street parking on Bowring Drive, Pinecrest Dr. south of Bowring and Crescent Drive south of Pinecrest. These are the closest parking areas. I've parked overnight up there many times and never had a problem. All of these streets are shown in the map link I posted initially. You can also zoom in and see where the cars are parked. Jim's topo map (thanks Jim) shows the same area but doesn't name all the streets.

http://tinyurl.com/ll5eagl

I have someone checking on the use of parking at Eaton Canyon. Frankly I feel safer leaving my car on the street near the trail head. I'm sure we can make use Eaton for a gear swap on Sun.

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal on 02/04/2014 21:40:50 MST Print View

Hey Mitchell--a DVD of a yule log may have to suffice unless someone is willing to haul an Amish fireplace and battery pack up there.

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

S.C.G.G.G. on 02/04/2014 21:52:42 MST Print View

Someone find me a cart for my dog to pull, and you've got yourself an Amish heater for the weekend!
My dog has the energy of 10 dogs even though she's not very big, only about 24lbs, but she's all business when it comes to hiking, l don't think it would even slow her down.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: S.C.G.G.G. on 02/04/2014 22:09:41 MST Print View

Jack, we expect that your dog has a Borah Gear water bowl by now.

--B.G.--

kevin smith
(divr6347) - M
really !! on 02/07/2014 07:51:51 MST Print View

first i have to sleep under a borah gear tarp next to jack and all his snoring
and now he tells us he is bringing that short legged mutt that is like a 24 volt battery on the trail lol (lots of energy he he ) so now i have to put up with snoring and now barking sheesh i cant get a break lol

KIDDING !!

kevin

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: really !! on 02/07/2014 08:30:59 MST Print View

Jack and Kevin:
I have some thank you cards and pictures from my students for the gear that you guys donated.
There's another group of nearly 12 backpacking up the Sespe this weekend using a lot of it. I never mailed them because I figured I'd see you guys in person….

Looking forward to it.

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Re: Re: really !! on 02/07/2014 08:57:02 MST Print View

Not to worry, Kevin. I am bringing an MSR Dragonfly stove which should effectively drown out Jack. I just love stove testing at 3:00 AM when there are no distractions, and you no doubt will too.

HJ

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal on 02/07/2014 12:27:12 MST Print View

Time to get organized. I need to get rid of some of these post it notes laying around.
I've created a simple sign sheet using Google Docs. Thanks to the people working on the east coast GGG for posting info about Gdocs.

Please go here to sign up http://tinyurl.com/GGGSOCAL

You'll have editing privileges so if things change you can change the info. There will will also be a link so everyone can see who's signed up (I think).

Edited by amrowinc on 02/08/2014 20:50:38 MST.

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SOCAL Sign Up on 02/08/2014 23:29:48 MST Print View

For some reason my last post didn't show up on the site as expected. The gist of it is there is a sign up form now for this little event. Please fill it out, only three questions, even if you've already posted your coming in this thread.

Go here: http://tinyurl.com/GGGSOCAL

kevin smith
(divr6347) - M
jacks snoring on 02/09/2014 19:38:45 MST Print View

hiking jims dragonfly sounds like just the ticket to
silence jacks snoring )~ lol

craig glad the gear worked out for the students thats awesome

it will be good to see you again

sounds like it will be a good turnout of so cal bpl ers

anybody know about the snake situation at this site ?? hopefully its not like the sespe where we had to relocate a medium sized rattler that slithered right into camp
lol

kevin

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

Snakes and other creatures on 02/09/2014 20:43:22 MST Print View

They have signs posted up there to watch out for rattlesnakes. I have yet to see one unlike the Sespe area where I encountered the fattest rattlesnake I've ever seen. We found this guy a few weeks ago in the camping area where the GGG will be. Just a harmless gopher snake.Gopher Snake

There are bears up there. They have food storage cabinets on site, not bear proof-more for squirrels, but I've never heard of the bears getting anyone's food. They like to forage in the trash cans. I sometimes hang food but more often than not just put my food in the cabinets. Some people bring bear canisters--your choice.

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal on 02/17/2014 21:52:10 MST Print View

Time to get this bumped up front again.

Great news from Jack at Borah Gear. He will be offering a Borah Gear tarp to the winner of a "contest" at the GGG. Details will be forthcoming later from Jack.

Plan on attending this event. Show off your stuff, learn from others, have some fun and maybe even win a Borah Gear tarp!

This is the link to the sign up page: http://tinyurl.com/GGGSOCAL

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal on 02/18/2014 16:56:58 MST Print View

The question about possibly showing movies at the event came up awhile back. What would be required if anyone wants to do that using an ipad, iphone or android phone is a HMDI cable from their device. They have a large screen TV at Henninger.

Angus A.
(mangus7175) - F

Re: GGG/SoCal on 02/18/2014 17:38:14 MST Print View

HDMI Cable would be required on newer TV's. A short 4 foot cord doesn't weigh much :)

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal on 02/18/2014 18:44:34 MST Print View

The onset of dementia! HDMI cable is correct. If anyone decides to bring one Angus will carry it since it "doesn't weigh much."

Angus A.
(mangus7175) - F

Re: GGG/SoCal on 02/18/2014 18:50:04 MST Print View

LOL! Yoda always giving the young Padiwan a hard time ;)

If anyone wants to watch National Geographic's Pacific Crest Trail documentary, let me know.

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Re: GGG/SoCal on 02/18/2014 19:57:06 MST Print View

Angus,

If it's to much weight just cut it in half and I'll carry 1 half, just kiddin.

On a serious note I was thinking of having a competition on Sat. probably all day Sat. since we may have some late arrivals.

The details,
I'm bringing 4 different tarps to show what we offer at Borahgear, the idea behind the competition will be for anyone that wants to enter this competition they will choose any of the 4 tarps they think they would like to own, then you will set it up in the best and most creative/imaginataive pitch you can come up with using what ever means you want, hiking poles, sticks, trees, you get the picture.(Guy lines will be provide, also stakes)

I will take pictures and names, then we will judge the set ups and the winner will receive the tarp that they set up at the gear swap, sorry there will only be one winner this year, so make it count!

The tarps will be

1. 5x9 with pull out panels
2. Borahgami sameside wings
3. Borahgami opposite side wings
4. 10x10 with multipule pull outs

I will also be bringing the "BIG BORAHGAMI" just to show people what it is capable of, but I'll be sleeping in this one. LOL

The dogs staying home on this one, my plate will be full all weekend, Aaahhh so sad.

I wanted to post this early so everyone that wanted to enter would know ahead of time, and also have a chance to compete, this is open to everyone, even if you haven't set up a tarp, so don't be shy, and we'll see you there.

Jack

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal on 02/24/2014 20:15:35 MST Print View

Time to bump this thread again. Things are looking up in So Cal. Two storms are due this week bringing some much needed rain keeping the dread extreme fire danger rating at bay in our local mountains for awhile. With luck we'll get a few more storms in March.

March 9th is the start of daylight savings so we'll reap the benefit of the extra daylight for the GGG event.

If anyone is thinking about coming in from out of the area via public transportation and has need of a ride it can be arranged. I have a few volunteers available.

There are some who are coming but didn't sign in on the "official" sign in sheet. Help me out and do that when you have a chance. Oh, and for those who've been silent out there you can sign up too.

GGG/SOCAL Signup

Steve B
(geokite) - F

Carpool from San Diego on 03/01/2014 13:01:04 MST Print View

Anyone in the San Diego area leaving Saturday morning want to carpool? Post here, I'm in the San Carlos area, near MTRP.

Steve

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal on 03/05/2014 23:11:47 MST Print View

Bumpy time. I'm happy to say there are now 32 planning to attend. If your still on the fence about coming just do it. It won't be long before we reach critical mass in terms of space at the reserved area. There will still be room in the other two camping areas if we fill up our space so no one will be turned away.

Brian Olson
(briguybro) - M

Locale: Orange County
Families on 03/07/2014 14:12:23 MST Print View

Are there any families going? I have camped there before and am planning on bringing my 2 year old and 3 month old. I'd love to see how other families do it.

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal on 03/07/2014 14:25:48 MST Print View

What's your 2 year old's base weight? :-) There are a couple of guys bringing children. One 4 year old and a 7 year old (I think). Others may be up there who have backpacked with their children you can compare notes with.
Looking forward to meeting you and the family.

Angus A.
(mangus7175) - F

Re: Families on 03/07/2014 14:46:42 MST Print View

I was just at Henninger a couple of weekends ago with my 8 year old. Took us about an hour fifteen to complete the hike. Lots of stops but that's a given.

I may take my daughter to this event...we'll see how she feels.

Brian Olson
(briguybro) - M

Family setup on 03/07/2014 15:10:22 MST Print View

We carry about 35 lbs of gear for the four of us. The 2 year old is mostly carried in an Ergobaby carrier but she walks sometimes. The newborn is in a MYOG cotton gauze baby wrap. For this trip we are going to try not bringing a carrier for the 2 year old. She can ride on my shoulders if she gets tired. We will see how that goes.

Duane Bindschadler
(DLBVenice) - M

Locale: Venice
GGG/SoCal on 03/13/2014 19:55:00 MDT Print View

Looking forward to joining you on Sat/Sun and am bringing a friend (on Sunday) who I'm trying to bring around to a lighter-weight way of thinking. And I'll get a chance to use my new Borah Gear tarp that just arrived this week.

Angus A.
(mangus7175) - F

Re: GGG/SoCal on 03/13/2014 21:37:01 MDT Print View

Planning on hiking Friday evening...I should be at the trailhead by 7PM. Please save me a spot :)

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

MLD at SoCal GGG...sorta! on 03/14/2014 10:55:07 MDT Print View

Henniger Flats is a long way from Mountain Laurel Designs in Virginia, but I happen to have a small assortment of MLD mids, in a mix of silnylon and cuben, which I'd be glad to bring up for anyone who wants to see them in real life. Ron says I can be an unofficial MLD mid rep, and he'll send along some stickers, etc. I'll also bring some unofficial flyers of some of the new mids and tarps Ron's been coming up with recently.

So here's what I can bring:

Duomid, Cricket, Trailstar, Big Star, and an old Solo. I'll be camping in the Duo; which others should I bring?

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

MLD at SoCal GGG...sorta! on 03/14/2014 12:36:07 MDT Print View

"be an unofficial MLD mid rep"

Ya gotta start somewhere Stephen. Maybe you'll end up with a whole new career.

All kidding aside that great you'll be bringing up some of the MLD stuff. If anyone wants to see something specific from MLD speak up and/or contact Stephen.

I haven't actively solicited any vendors but I'll put out this informal invitation. If anyone wants to show or send info about any of their products arrangements can be made. This would be a cheap (like free other than shipping costs) way of advertising your wares. It might be like preaching to the choir but I know there will be some attendees who are trying to transition to the light side and are in the market for gear. Contact me direct via email for information.

Lance Cunningham
(Lancelot2u) - F

San Diego Attendee on 03/16/2014 14:29:45 MDT Print View

Hi All, relatively new here to BPL. Heading up to JMT this summer in July. Bought a tent from Lonna, bag from Bayden, just need to locate my pack and I will be ready for April. Can fill in the blanks with my not so light gear stash that I have laying around. Are people heading up on Friday, or is most of the group heading up Saturday and Sunday?

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SOCAL on 03/16/2014 23:11:18 MDT Print View

We have about 43 signed up including family members and a few tentative attendees. Many say they are coming on Sat and staying overnight. A lesser number are signed on for all three days and a few are just coming in for the day on Sat. Sat. Is the day for most of the demonstrations, show and tell and of course socializing. I'm not sure as of now what time we'll break camp and head down the hill for the gear swap and tarp giveaway but for those interested in picking up some gear it should be well worth hanging around for that.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: GGG/SOCAL on 03/17/2014 13:29:53 MDT Print View

Don,

Wow!

Fantastic turn out you have anticipated for your SoCal GGG!

Beats the 14-16 we had at our 1st one and you have manufactures coming out to share in the fun!

Looking forward to seeing any pictures that you and others take of the event.

I am sure that people really appreciate the work that you are doing for putting it all together.

Glad to see that it is going to happen.

Tony

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal on 03/18/2014 20:48:16 MDT Print View

Thanks Tony. It is going to happen. As you know the number signed up doesn't always translate to the number that shows up but I feel confident we'll have 40-50 there. We have a pretty large gene pool to gather from down here plus the advantage of good weather and a close by place to go.
We'll definitely have pictures to post. Want to come down and take some shots?

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

S.C.G.G.G. on 03/18/2014 21:56:20 MDT Print View

Tony ! Tony ! Tony !

This was meant as a chant,

Tony, just cut the bracelet off like I did mine

Edited by jumpbackjack on 03/19/2014 13:45:30 MDT.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Re: GGG/SoCal on 03/19/2014 13:40:30 MDT Print View

Don,

With good weather on your side, I am pretty sure you are going to have a great turn out.

Yeah, there will be people who sign up who won't be able to make it due to something last minute.

On the other side, you may have a few people join in at the last minute.

Thanks for the offer to come out, but the ankle bracelet that I am required to wear won't buzzing once I pass the County Line!

Tony

Angus A.
(mangus7175) - F

Re: Re: GGG/SoCal on 03/26/2014 11:48:46 MDT Print View

A little bump for this event!

Really looking forward to meeting other like-minded UL folks. A couple of weeks left till April 11th!

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal on 03/27/2014 13:06:33 MDT Print View

Time is getting short for this event so I'm starting a minor advertising campaign to get some of you motivated. If you want to make the trek more than a relatively short jaunt there are some trail alternatives to make it a 12+ mile one way trek with a 4000ft+ elevation gain. Make it a training hike. I'm not a big fan of mountain bikes but the road up the Henninger is wide enough accommodate hikers and bikers in a nice state of peaceful coexistence. Give you legs a workout and peddle your way to camp.

Lance Cunningham
(Lancelot2u) - F

CA Fire Permit on 03/27/2014 15:55:14 MDT Print View

Does everyone need a campfire permit, or is there one for the group?

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: CA Fire Permit on 03/27/2014 16:09:40 MDT Print View

edit: nvm

Edited by justin_baker on 03/27/2014 16:10:10 MDT.

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

Fire Permit on 03/27/2014 16:58:07 MDT Print View

I'll avoid the technicalities of this issue at the location we're going and just say yes, you need a CA campfire permit. They're easy enough to get online.

Use this link: http://www.preventwildfireca.org/Campfire-Permit/

Lance Cunningham
(Lancelot2u) - F

CA Fire Permit Link - GREAT on 03/27/2014 19:24:05 MDT Print View

Thanks for the link! Took about 5 minutes, 2.5 minute video, 8 question test for the intellectually challenged, and print it out. Great thing is, it is valid for a year anywhere you go! Love it!

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

CA Fire Permit on 03/27/2014 20:33:57 MDT Print View

They changed this year with the addition of a dedicated site with the video and a "harder" test. Maybe it will prevent a fire or two by increasing awareness. We can only hope.

zorobabel frankenstein
(zorobabel) - F

parking on 03/28/2014 11:12:08 MDT Print View

Where is everyone parking?

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal Parking on 03/29/2014 22:28:13 MDT Print View

I'll be parking at the nearest legal street parking spot. :-) There is plenty of street parking near the trailhead. Just pay close attention to the parking signs. I'll be talking to the Sheriffs Dept that patrols the area to inform them that there will be more cars parked up there than usual. They might patrol the area more often than they usually do. I have never heard of any car break-ins up there but I would suggest not leaving any valuables laying in plain site in your car.

Lance Cunningham
(Lancelot2u) - F

West LA Carpooling? on 03/30/2014 14:09:28 MDT Print View

I am heading up from San Diego Mid-week to get some work done Wed / Thurs in West LA. Anyone heading out from Culver City Santa Monica Area on Friday that would like to carpool?

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal Gear Swap Items on 03/30/2014 18:49:36 MDT Print View

So far my gear swap collection is pretty meager (see the photo). I'm going to have to dig a little deeper to see what I can come up with.

What are the rest of you bringing? Show us what you have.GGG/SoCal Gear Swap Items

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG in Southern CA on 04/02/2014 12:13:26 MDT Print View

Only 9 days to go! We've reached the magic number of 50 who are signed up. Magical for me anyway since it was the number I was hoping for. That includes family members, guests etc. Time for those of you sitting on the fence to commit!

Bringing up the subject of the gear swap again.... What do you have to offer?

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

S.C.G.G.G. on 04/02/2014 13:30:46 MDT Print View

Hey everybody,
Due to the loss of the tip of my index finger 5 weeks ago and and a huge amount of trap orders it looks like the tarp set up competition may be on hold, and the proto type backpack also may not get finished, I'll bring what I can.

I also won't be there until late Friday night

Edited by jumpbackjack on 04/02/2014 13:31:38 MDT.

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal on 04/02/2014 14:52:42 MDT Print View

Hey Jack, I hope the injury was the result of some fun adventure at least. Do what you can and bring what you can. See ya on Friday.

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

MLD Proto at SoCal GGG on 04/03/2014 15:21:19 MDT Print View

Just got a note from Ron today - he's sending out a new prototype tarp for the event! This is an asymmetrical 2.5 mid that you might have seen recently on MLD's Facebook page. He's looking for comments and suggestions, so I'll bring my JMT pencil and onionskin notebook to record your ideas! He's also sending along a gadget for connecting two trekking poles together for a longer center pole.

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

MLD at SoCal GGG on 04/03/2014 20:24:28 MDT Print View

I just looked at the shots of the 2.5. I'll be very interested to see it in person. Of course I'd really need to have one for 6 months or so to do a thorough evaluation.:-)

Thanks Stephen for doing the footwork to make this happen.

Andy Duncan
(bluewater) - M

MLD at SoCal GGG on 04/03/2014 23:37:03 MDT Print View

Looking forward to seeing the new MLD 2.5 Mid. For anyone who missed these on FB here are a few pxts:

Mid

Mld2

Edited for pxts

Edited by bluewater on 04/03/2014 23:38:49 MDT.

zorobabel frankenstein
(zorobabel) - F

Re: GGG/SoCal Parking on 04/04/2014 01:05:05 MDT Print View

Thanks Don!
"I'll be parking at the nearest legal street parking spot. :-) There is plenty of street parking near the trailhead."

I just signed up.

Edited by zorobabel on 04/04/2014 21:07:51 MDT.

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal on 04/05/2014 15:12:11 MDT Print View

The weather report is very good for next weekend. There was some potential rain but that seems to have gone away. Maybe some clouds on Fri with Sat/Sun clear. Temps at around 70 during the day and low 50's at night. I love the CA weather.

Mike Stromsoe
(phstudio) - F - M

Re: GGG/SoCal Gear Swap Items on 04/05/2014 15:54:07 MDT Print View

For the Gear Swap I'll be bringing a single wall Tarptent Moment, a Jack's R Better Sierra Sniveler 25-30 degree (was advertised as 20 degrees when I bought it) quilt with the old 8" baffle design and a very lightly used MSR Sweetwater filter. I can provide pictures if necessary or you can see them in person.

I look forward to being there.

Mike Young
(klackamas) - F - MLife

swap on 04/06/2014 09:24:45 MDT Print View

I have so much stuff for swap. Did everyone decide where and when the swap will take place?

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal Swap on 04/06/2014 09:58:15 MDT Print View

I couldn't get anyone to donate the use of their parking lot for the swap. I guess they don't realize who we all are!
The plan is to have the swap at the Eaton Canyon equestrian parking area. I'll create a map showing where that is and post the link later. It's only a mile or so down the road from the trailhead.
I'm thinking we'll plan on gathering there about 12pm giving everyone time to have breakfast, break camp and head back to their cars. Other suggestions anyone?

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

GGG/SoCal Swap on 04/06/2014 11:31:09 MDT Print View

Morning Don,

I can't remember, is anyone/someone bringing names tags?

Edited by jumpbackjack on 04/06/2014 11:31:44 MDT.

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SOCAL Nametags on 04/06/2014 13:41:37 MDT Print View

Yes indeed I have the nametags made so everyone can tell who's who. The problem will be getting everyone to wear them. :-)

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal Swap on 04/06/2014 17:26:27 MDT Print View

On second thought I've decided the Eaton Canyon parking is too much of a zoo on Sundays. I was up there about noon today and it was absolutely full to say nothing of the Sheriffs cruiser sitting there to keep people from parking where they shouldn't. I think some of you mentioned early on about it being crowded.
Further down the road is Victory Park where there was lots of activity but plenty of parking available to that's where we'll hold the swap.

Map link: http://goo.gl/maps/fkEQx

Mike Young
(klackamas) - F - MLife

water on 04/06/2014 18:08:46 MDT Print View

I read that water is available at Henninger flats. Can someone verify that for me? I would hate to lug a weekends worth of water uphill.

also I registered as coming in on saturday, but i think we decided to come up friday night instead. Not sure if it's important to let you know.

Edited by klackamas on 04/06/2014 18:13:45 MDT.

Mike Stromsoe
(phstudio) - F - M

Re: water on 04/06/2014 18:36:38 MDT Print View

There is definitely water available up there. In the past the water at Henniger was treated by the County, but the last time I was up there they had a sign tell you to treat the water. They may have rectified the problem since then, but I would bring water treatment just in case.

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

re: re: water on 04/06/2014 21:20:27 MDT Print View

Good to know! Thanks!

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal Water on 04/06/2014 22:19:16 MDT Print View

As I understand it there has been no change in the water at Henninger. They did post a sign about treating the water due to the system they've been using for years not meeting the regulatory agencies requirements. I asked the fire dept. personnel up there if they drank the water as is and the answer was yes. The county has budgeted for upgrades to the water system but who knows when that project will start.
I've never treated water up there but if anyone is concerned please do treat/filter/zap as needed.

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal Movie Program on 04/08/2014 19:09:51 MDT Print View

I decided to fit in a movie or two. Showing for your pleasure and enjoyment will be the Muir Project's "Mile, Mile & A Half" about hiking the John Muir Trail and/or the PCT Class of 2011 film about hiking the Pacific Crest Trail during the epic snow year of 2011.

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Movies and Mids on 04/08/2014 21:04:20 MDT Print View

Sounds fun - who's bringing a microwave to make popcorn? ;)

Back on MLD mids: Does anyone want to see in person:

- A Duomid (silnylon or cuben)?
- A Cricket (silnylon or cuben)?
- a Trailstar (silnylon)?
- a Bigstar (Large sized Trailstar, silnylon)?

If so, please tell me, either here or via PM. Otherwise, I will just pack in the Prototype 2.5 mid to show and use. I'm not going to pack in the old favorite mids unless someone want to see them in person - just old and lazy, I guess!.

Lonna Myers
(Lonna) - M
Re: GGG/SoCal Movie Program on 04/08/2014 22:02:02 MDT Print View

Hey Don, I also have "Six Million Steps-A Journey Inward" to contribute. It is a documentary about the PCT.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: GGG/SoCal Movie Program on 04/08/2014 22:03:56 MDT Print View

If I can only make it up for a day I'm assuming Saturday would be best?

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal Movies + on 04/08/2014 23:35:04 MDT Print View

Sure Lonna bring the CD maybe we'll do two nights of movies. I'll have to work on the popcorn issue.:-)

Yes Craig Sat. would be the day to come since most of the activity will be on that day.

If anyone is planning to come up very late on Friday the trailhead gate locked at night as far as I know. Does anyone have any personal experience about when the gate actually does get locked?

Mike Stromsoe
(phstudio) - F - M

Re: GGG/SoCal Movies + on 04/09/2014 00:07:55 MDT Print View

"Does anyone have any personal experience about when the gate actually does get locked?"

They lock the gate at sunset. The first and only time I used that gate I got locked in. I'm guessing I missed the cut off by less than 30 minutes. Anyway, unless you're very familiar with the area at night, the only other sensible way is to enter, on foot, through the Eaton Canyon Nature Center parking lot as marked on this map: http://goo.gl/TdiI5g Just take the main trail (it's a dirt road esentialy) to the Mt Wilson road. Make sure you go up to the bridge and not under.

Edited by phstudio on 04/09/2014 00:17:56 MDT.

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Popcorn and a Movie on 04/09/2014 02:01:56 MDT Print View

I don't know about everyone else, but this is my plan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xyy5qqyZ4Q

Also, If I come up late Fri. night I won't be able to get in the gate, so I will need to enter at another entrance is that right?

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal Late Arrival on 04/09/2014 13:16:34 MDT Print View

I believe they lock the gate to the Eaton Canyon Nature Center parking area at sunset also. Does anyone have info to the contrary about this?

There is another trailhead entry and small parking area on Altadena Dr. south of the Pinecrest trailhead. I don't believe there is a gate there so that's about the only entry to go in after dark unless one wants to climb a fence.

This shot from Google Maps doesn't show a gate. http://goo.gl/maps/79wGx

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

late arrivals on 04/09/2014 13:48:07 MDT Print View

What time does the gate open on Saturday morning?

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal Late Arrival on 04/09/2014 14:03:01 MDT Print View

The Pinecrest gate is supposed to be open at sunrise (approximately 6:30am).

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

late arrivals on 04/09/2014 14:09:41 MDT Print View

If it's a positive that the other entry has no gate I'll probably do that Friday, is that location okay to leave the car all weekend without getting a ticket or towed?

Mike Stromsoe
(phstudio) - F - M

Altadena Dr. entry on 04/09/2014 15:31:48 MDT Print View

In my last post I listed the only sensible night entry. While I do use the Altadena Dr. entrance, it is not very easy to navigate in the dark. At this point of entry it is an overgrown wash with dozens of possible pathways across. Many can and do dead end. I'm not sure if I have ever even gone exactly the same way twice before. That said, I've been there so many times I really haven't given it much thought before.

I have some time this afternoon. I'll scout out possible overnight parking around the Eaton Canyon entrance and I'll see if there is an easy direct route across the wash at the Altadena Dr. Gate.

For the really adventurous, here is the location of the gate on Altadena Dr. from the Pine Crest Gate: http://goo.gl/Ql112X

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

late arrivals on 04/09/2014 15:34:16 MDT Print View

Thanks Mike

Mike Stromsoe
(phstudio) - F - M

Re: late arrivals on 04/09/2014 19:33:07 MDT Print View

I ran into a Sheriff's deputy when checking the Altadena gate. He said they lock the Pinecrest entrance and Eaton Canyon parking lot gates at 7 P.M.

Now I think the Altadena gate is pretty doable. When you get to the wash level from the elevated street level, you'll come to a four-way trail junction. just continue straight (North) and you'll get to the dirt road on the other side of the wash. You can see the junction on the Google map I posted. Might be a little spooky at night, but doable.

That said, I would still enter from the Eaton Canyon parking lot. There does not appear to be any restrictions on street parking in the vicinity of the parking lot on Altadena Dr. the gate is locked to vehicles, but is still very accessible on foot to the right of the driveway gate.

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal on 04/10/2014 10:23:09 MDT Print View

Last call!!! If anyone is saying to themselves, "self, I should have signed up" don't fret. Just show up. This is an hour or less drive to the trailhead for the multitude of BPL's out there in So. Cal. area. The weather report is for some clouds and a bit of wind:

Per NOAA
Friday Mostly sunny, with a high near 76. Light south southeast wind becoming south southwest 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Friday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 59. South southwest wind 10 to 15 mph becoming light south in the evening. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Saturday Mostly sunny, with a high near 65. North northwest wind 5 to 15 mph becoming southwest in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Saturday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 57.
Sunday Sunny, with a high near 67.

I'll be on my way up in the morning but there is spotty cell coverage along the way and in camp. If anyone gets lost, needs info etc. TEXT me at 626 485-4696.

There will be GGG signs posted at the Pinecrest trailhead and at Henninger Flats. Remember our camp area is Fuji which is up the hill to the right (east) and past what is called upper camp.

See ya all in camp.

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

S.C.G.G. on 04/10/2014 11:24:31 MDT Print View

Don and others,it looks like I may have 3-4 tarps to bring after all,depending on how many I can finish up tonight,we still may be able to have the tarp set up on Saturday.

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SOCAL on 04/10/2014 16:21:23 MDT Print View

Do what you can Jack but don't overdo it? :-)

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: MLD Proto at SoCal GGG on 04/10/2014 19:28:44 MDT Print View

"so I'll bring my JMT pencil and onionskin notebook to record your ideas!"

I don't do groups or collaborate. But, that looks interesting. Almost makes me want to cancel my planned trip and talk lead with you :)

You might want to bring your new pack and share. Not many people have seen one.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: MLD Proto at SoCal GGG on 04/10/2014 19:30:57 MDT Print View

"talk lead"

You're just a pencil-neck geek unless you talk graphite.

--B.G.--

Brian Olson
(briguybro) - M

Starting on 04/11/2014 13:04:15 MDT Print View

We just parked on a street near the trailhead and are waiting for the 2 year old to wake up from a nap. We will be starting soon and it should take us quite a few hours with the 2 year old walking. Anyone hiking this afternoon might see us on the way up.

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

I'm ready on 04/11/2014 14:12:36 MDT Print View

I finished the tarps and will likely be up early Saturday morning, see everyone there.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
GGG on 04/11/2014 14:51:06 MDT Print View

Whaaaatt? A socal GGG? in my own back yard?? I'm there! I just heard about this last week and I'm hoping I can swing by for a visit. I'm not too worried about where to sleep or anything, i can slide into a bush somewhere, so I hope it's not a problem for me to just pop in last minute. I hope to see you guys there.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: GGG/SOCAL on 04/11/2014 19:07:03 MDT Print View

You kids have fun. I'm looking forward to the detailed trip report and a s#@&oad of photos.

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Re: Re: GGG/SOCAL on 04/12/2014 16:23:36 MDT Print View

Those guys and gals are cliffed over L.A. with cell reception.
They can have live feed from the GGG if they want to.

Was there last night until this morning. Lots of peeps showing up when I left.
Should be a great time today.

Lance Cunningham
(Lancelot2u) - F

Huge Thank You to Don and All Involved Putting This Together on 04/13/2014 15:08:57 MDT Print View

Hi All,

I just want to post a huge thank you to Don for putting this event together and anyone else that may have been responsible for its successful implementation, vendors that brought equipment, vendors that supplied equipment and for those that participated this weekend. What a great event and a great time had by all. Everyone played well together in the sandbox, and smiles were everywhere to be seen. It was great!

*Seeing the movie at night regarding the JMT was absolutely inspiring. Then to hear all your stories about your adventures on the JMT in particular, and all the other venues everyone has hiked, left me feeling very humble to be on this adventure. I am glad to have met up with such a cool group of people with such diversity and spirit for living. Very cool.

THANK YOU!!!

Now, for those of you that helped blow my pack up for the JMT... here is what happened after I walked through the door at my buddy's house. I unpacked everything only minutes through the door, and just went at it. After your suggestions, especially Don, Ellen, and Lonna.... We are down a fricken HUGE, 10 pounds 12 ounces from when I went up the hill. I see more and more as I walk by with the stuff on the floor, which is good, so more to follow. Now, Plastidip, french press, and hammock aside, we made a lot of progress. Thanks for all your support and suggestions guys. Great time had here and everyone has inspired me to look at what is NECESSARY, and pack light.

Unnecessary Crap:Deleted Items

Edited by Lancelot2u on 04/13/2014 15:34:56 MDT.

Jon Fong
(jonfong) - F - M

GGG / So Cal ! Thank you Don! on 04/13/2014 16:08:55 MDT Print View

My hats off to Don for organizing the GGG/SoCal edition! After attending the GGG/Henry Coe, I knew that I couldn't miss this one as it is right in my backyard. It was great meeting everyone and I hope that you had as much fun as I did. Best regards – Jon & Peggy.

Lonna Myers
(Lonna) - M
GGG So Cal on 04/13/2014 21:17:40 MDT Print View

Thanks, Don, for planning such an awesome event! Here are some photos from the GGG So Cal.

http://s63.photobucket.com/user/Aussielvr1227/library/

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal on 04/13/2014 21:59:45 MDT Print View

Thanks to everyone who came and participated in making this a fun event. Going by the low tech method used to record the attendance there were 40 people who came, some for the duration some for two days and a few day trippers.

I especially want to thank Ellen (Pearl) and Lonna (Roadrunner) for their assistance in setting up and photo taking.

Jon and Peggy Fon--what can I say? You fed the masses with your trail baking magic. I'm looking at my esbit tabs in a whole other light.

Jack Elliot the tarp (and movie screen) guru showed everyone some thinking outside the box tarp stuff plus doing some entertaining with the Canjo, also known as spam on a stick. I hope someone has some pictures of that.

Steve Barber came with a couple of MLD mids and donated the use of the new 2.5 to a couple, was that Andy Duncan and Candy?

What a fantastic variety of gear we had to look at and that's what a gathering of gear geeks is all about, right?

Check out Lonna's photo link. I know Angus has a bunch of shots also and hopefully will be sharing them.

Angus A.
(mangus7175) - F

Re: GGG/SoCal on 04/13/2014 22:28:47 MDT Print View

Don, thank you for all your hard work putting this event together. It was great to meet other gear enthusiast, DIY'ers, and just great people in general.

Jon, thank you for the bacon, cheese, and that oh so good chocolate cake...mmmm

Jack, thanks for loaning me the Borah-Gami tarp, this will be put to good use when I head to Yosemite for the first time next month! Truly excited to try this very well made shelter!

Craig, thank for the hand-made mug, this will be forever in my kit and will be counted as part of my base weight moving forward :)

Adan, dude...thank you for the cold beers! You went beast mode carrying that up that hill on a warm day.

Really had a great time and it was really great to meet everyone. I look forward in seeing this event grow and I hope to be part of them every year.

Here are a few of the photos I took. Pardon the quality, these haven't been edited :/

http://s65.photobucket.com/user/mangus7175/slideshow/2014%20So%20Cal%20GGG

Edited by mangus7175 on 04/13/2014 22:29:56 MDT.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Re: GGG/SoCal on 04/14/2014 00:40:51 MDT Print View

Angus & Lorna,

Thanks for posting up links for your photos.

Looks like a great time and I recognize some familiar faces who have come up to the Bay Area GGGs.

Great to see Jack from Borah and Jon from Flat Cat at your GGG.

Don,

Congrats on pulling off a very successful SoCal GGG, which I hope is only the first of many to come in the following years.

Great looking signs you have there.....save them for next year.

Hope you have time to put together a post trip report on BPL.

The pictures will help let people see what they missed out on...and will help grow your GGG next year.

Awesome start!

Tony

Andy Duncan
(bluewater) - M

Re: GGG/SoCal on 04/14/2014 15:13:42 MDT Print View

Thanks Don for organizing the first SoCal GGG. It was fun meeting so many BPL'ers and seeing all the gear. I've never seen so many Montbell jackets and cuben fiber shelters in one spot. Traveling through some familiar ground watching Mile. . . Mile and a Half while eating those brownies on Saturday night was awesome. We had a great time trying out the new MLD 2.5 Mid, there was plenty of room for two plus gear and more.

henninger flats

zorobabel frankenstein
(zorobabel) - F

SoCal GGG on 04/14/2014 20:26:00 MDT Print View

Thanks Don for organizing this event, a great location choice!
Thanks Jack for letting me try the solo tarp!
Thanks Jon for the baking demonstration and the food!
It was great meeting more SoCal BPL-ers ... and their gear :)

Marian

Edited by zorobabel on 04/14/2014 20:27:08 MDT.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Socal GGG on 04/14/2014 22:25:17 MDT Print View

Yes +1 to a great event and finally a good size BPL meeting down in socal!! Thanks Don and all those that pitched in to make us all comfortable and welcome. I have to guess that picking a location so close to town was a big factor. And it turned out to be a cool spot, up away from other campers, almost like we had our own campground!

I was immediately greeted warmly by the group. And I dont think it was just because of all the cold beverages I carried, although it never hurts. Right away there was a gift for me, some baked goodies that somebody was cooking, and all kinds of cool tarpage to check out. Im not much of a gear geek, so I dont have gear knowledge to share or anything, but I had alot of fun chatting it up with the gang.

It was good to catch up with Jerry and Jack again. Where was Kevin and did I miss Hikin Jim dammit? It was good to make new acquaintances as well, hopefully I'll get to hike with some of these people some time. There was beer guzzling, fly casting, whiskey sipping, dog snuggling, spamjo jammin, wine toasting, this thing had it all.

I wish I couldve stayed a bit longer but I had to rise early and hike home for my date with the family that day. After some late night drinks and stories by the fire, I slid into my bag on the grass overlooking an awesome city light show. I had a weird night actually. I was kept up alot by the light drizzle on my face all night and by the incessant gophers gnawing on tree roots in the ground directly below my head! It was loud! My bag wet through completely. Also I didnt know about the gate situation so my early departure involved climbing over that 10ft barbed wire fence with my pack on. Luckily everyone made sure my pack was much lighter on the way out. :)

I'll be looking out for the next one! This was cool!

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Socal GGG on 04/14/2014 22:47:57 MDT Print View

Good event indeed. Thanks to all who put it on. Sorry if I wasn't there in the morning, I got the urge for a midnight hike and living so close I figured I'd sleep in my own bed. Based on Adan's wet gopher fun, it sounds like it was a good decision.

Angus, good to meet you, we'll get the kids out. Zorobabel Frankenstein my new Romanian friend, thanks for sharing your wine. Jack, Don, everyone, it was a pleasure.

Don Amundson
(amrowinc) - M

GGG/SoCal on 04/14/2014 23:29:27 MDT Print View

Dang Adan, I was hoping some of what went on at Henninger would at Henninger. Now you've let the cat out of the bag.:) Hope the razor wire on top of the fence didn't do any damage to your vital parts.

Thanks to you and others for the glowing reviews. It makes me think of the possibility of GGG/SoCal 2015.

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

re: GGG/SoCal on 04/15/2014 13:59:37 MDT Print View

Don, it was great! Who would have thought you could watch "Vertical Limit" on a Borahgami???!!! Plus the campsite was the one place in all of SoCal that got any rain Saturday night - when I got home, I kept looking out the window wondering why it wasn't overcast and raining!

Thanks for all the comments on the MLD 2.5, and to Andy and Candy for giving it a night's test! See you all next year, if not sooner!

Steve B
(geokite) - F

Gopher? on 04/15/2014 21:11:07 MDT Print View

Gophers, ha! Thought that ground looked a bit bumpy over there!

Great time meeting everyone. Much appreciated warm, friendly atmosphere among all the talking groups during the entire stay. Good seeing all the shelters, two movies in one night, and what felt an isolated campground. Well, I guess there were gophers, hehe.

Adan, what did your dog do with all that knawing? And did you dog go under the fence that morning?

Cheers
Steve

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

gophers and barbed wire on 04/15/2014 22:28:49 MDT Print View

Yeah Steve, Max slinked through the gate and wagged his tail at me from the other side like it was so easy. And he didnt seem to lose any sleep over them gophers either. And did anyone hear the water trickling under ground? Angus you didnt slip anything into my drink(s) did you? 'cause it was a weird night. Anywho.

Angus A.
(mangus7175) - F

Re: gophers and barbed wire on 04/16/2014 10:36:08 MDT Print View

HAHAHA! It was probably from all that watermelon ice I was vaping around you guys...or the spin-drift from India :)