Forum Index » Chaff » Replies to Gear section thread "Gear Swap Practices"

Display Avatars Sort By:
just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Replies to Gear section thread "Gear Swap Practices" on 01/26/2014 16:20:21 MST Print View

nm

Edited by ArcturusBear on 01/26/2014 21:26:41 MST.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Replies to Gear section thread "Gear Swap Practices" on 01/26/2014 17:55:50 MST Print View

nm

Edited by ArcturusBear on 01/26/2014 21:28:05 MST.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Re: Replies to Gear section thread "Gear Swap Practices" on 01/26/2014 18:45:59 MST Print View

nm

Edited by ArcturusBear on 01/26/2014 21:28:54 MST.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Replies to Gear section thread "Gear Swap Practices on 01/26/2014 19:10:30 MST Print View

"I'm not sure what you are trying to say here Franco"
I'll explain the problem...

You are basically calling another forum member dishonest because he buys and sells all the time possibly for a profit
(I don't know that, just posting your take on it, for all I know he could be one of the many that likes to try things out and or play with gear)

You then want a discount because the item in question (the Gatewood Cape you were after) was bought ALMOST TWO YEARS BEFORE and (your assumption) used in the meantime.

Not obvious to you but those two arguments cancel each other.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re on 01/26/2014 19:34:27 MST Print View

I am with Franco on this.

Justin, is it unethical in your opinion to buy a house and ten years later sell it for more than you paid for?

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Replies to Gear section thread "Gear Swap Practices on 01/26/2014 20:12:35 MST Print View

nm

Edited by ArcturusBear on 01/26/2014 21:29:30 MST.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Re on 01/26/2014 20:18:04 MST Print View

nm

Edited by ArcturusBear on 01/26/2014 21:30:15 MST.

Mike Gervais
(MikeG) - M
Tempest do you own anything of value? on 01/26/2014 20:36:34 MST Print View

Such idealism smacks of not having a dog in the fight.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: Re on 01/26/2014 20:43:51 MST Print View

Justin,
I think you are a nice guy and I am not saying that in a condescending way. I also think that you come off as better than thou, implying that the rest of us just cannot understand what living an ethical life means.
This may not be a question of ethics, but it may not be the nicest thing to do, assuming that someone on the forum lacks ethics based on the sale of one item.
What life one truly lives is way too hard to tell from what people write on an online forum; one can make assumptions and that is about it.

It is easy to condemn someone we do not know at all for trying to make a few bucks. That is not a sign of greed to me.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Replies to Gear section thread "Gear Swap Practices" on 01/26/2014 20:46:15 MST Print View

I've never heard such whining in all my life. Grow a pair and get on with it.

What you have done here is far more destructive to any sense of community. You're like Joe McCarthy, just trying to garner attention for yourself. For shame.

NO WHINING

Edited by dwambaugh on 01/26/2014 20:50:52 MST.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Tempest do you own anything of value? on 01/26/2014 20:50:05 MST Print View

nm

Edited by ArcturusBear on 01/26/2014 22:25:10 MST.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Re: Tempest do you own anything of value? on 01/26/2014 23:01:49 MST Print View

Btw, after thinking about it some, i apologize for projecting my sense of ethics onto others and expecting others to think similarly. That's limiting and only tends to foster separation and discord. We all have different ways of looking at things, and my way isn't necessarily the best. I was speaking from the space of the golden rule and that i treat others how i would like to be treated, and since i wouldn't upcharge others on gear swap on a used item, i sometimes automatically and unthinkingly expect the same of others.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: Re: Replies to Gear section thread "Gear Swap Practices" on 01/26/2014 23:35:21 MST Print View

"I've never heard such whining in all my life. Grow a pair and get on with it."

There's no crying in baseball!

cry

Every time you "apologize" it seems to take the form of an "I'm so sorry for expecting you guys to be as good/sensitive/open minded as me". Like I said a while back - passive aggressive.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Re: Re: Replies to Gear section thread "Gear Swap Practices" on 01/26/2014 23:49:17 MST Print View

Thought you said awhile back you were ignoring me hence forth? Couldn't help yourself?

Mark, from your consistently rather lengthy posts here, i could say what i think of you and your issues, but what good would that do me, you, or the community here oh ye who is so free from all issues and human lacks.

I haven't apologized much here at all either. I did apologize for my grumpiness when i was home sick, bored and irritated in general almost a month back.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: Re: Re: Re: Replies to Gear section thread "Gear Swap Practices" on 01/28/2014 12:18:09 MST Print View

Saw this cartoon a while back.

Husband madly typing on his laptop.
Wife nags: When are you coming to bed?
Husband: Hold on! Someone on the Internet is wrong!

I've often seen overpriced items for sale on Gear Swap, and when I enquired for the reason, I got barked at, since I could always buy it at REI with a 15% to 30% off, AND free shipping.

Unfortunately the 75% of the posts on Gear Swap are Gear Scams, overpriced with no value add. I gravitated to the BPL marketplace because I naively considered it to be a higher caliber than the dark alleys of eBay's stolen and counterfeit products.

I still look on Gear Swap, but I also look on the seller's forum profile. I skip and ignore the fast and furious peddlers that have no forum community contributions.

Sad and True to the sayings:
A fool and his money will soon part.

Let the buyer beware.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caveat_emptor

To be fair, the 25% of the Gear Swap posters that have improved an existing product or created a new product, are not Gear Scams, their prices are competitive and I value their posts and recommend them to my friends.

While we are at it, I have 20 used assorted tea bags, soaked once, slightly used, they still have the tags on. HAHA. I'm selling the lot for $20, I secretly only paid $3 new.
Yeah.... exactly.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Replies to Gear section thread "Gear Swap Practices on 01/28/2014 15:07:55 MST Print View

"Unfortunately the 75% of the posts on Gear Swap are Gear Scams, overpriced with no value add"
So about 75% of the buyers there are suckers.
Or do you mean that because the price is not low enough for you but good enough for someone else , that makes the former dishonest and the latter stupid ?

How about just for "fun" you have a look at the last 4 pages (25 threds per page) and find those 75 scam posts so that we can have a better idea of what you mean ?
Or just do one page and list the 19 out of 25 that are ?

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Replies to Gear section thread "Gear Swap Practices on 01/28/2014 15:22:48 MST Print View

I also question the 75% being either scams or overpriced items.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: Replies to Gear section thread "Gear Swap Practices on 01/28/2014 21:17:48 MST Print View

Steaming!

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Re: Re: Re: Replies to Gear section thread "Gear Swap Practices on 01/29/2014 12:00:41 MST Print View

For the record, R.caffin commented that buy-low, sell high, is acceptable, and it's his website, so the fast and furious gear resellers are compliant with the site policy of free economics and trade.

As a potential buyer and consumer of gear, I look for value in the product quality, cost, warranty and return policy when available. I used to consider BPL for sale posts as a reasonably fair trade. Here is an example of what I consider price gouging and overpaying. You want to pay more, for less options, great, lighten your wallet. This is a turn off and for my perspective goes against the community concept, and instead it belongs on eBay's dark alleys.

Take this for example, though it's not my intent to single out this individual, this behavior is common.

1. This person buys a product for price X from a store chain.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=86612&skip_to_post=738163#738163

2. The product is still available for sale TODAY at the same price X, with the store return policy and warranty.

http://www.sears.com/nordictrack-men-s-microfleece-pullover-jacket/p-041VA57152512P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

3. This person is trying to re-sell the same product for 2X price, without a receipt, without the store return policy, and without a warranty.
Possibly the item has been worn, even though it has the tag on. As many keep tags on with usage with the intent to resell used items as new.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=86891&skip_to_post=740552#740552

What is the added value to the BPL community does this For Sale adv have?

While this is BPL website policy compliant per R.Caffin, it's does not add value to buyer, who will not have the option to return to store, will not have the manufacturer warranty with no original receipt, and insult to injury, paid 2X for an item available STILL for sale from a reputable company for 1X.

This is why I am turned off by the Gear Swap forum.

The ones really hurt are the cottage business that make their own original and unique products, hats, pot lids, books, Ti stakes grills and scoopers, beer can stoves and tents, that are the true inovators and sell their items at honest fair and competitive pricing.

Edited by RogerDodger on 01/29/2014 14:03:40 MST.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Boat re-sale and karma on 01/29/2014 12:28:41 MST Print View

On the west coast, there is a superstition that it's bad karma to flip/resell a boat for more than it was purchased within a short timeframe, with the consideration that there was no significant upgrades done.