Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Carbon Fiber Poles in Thunderstorms
Display Avatars Sort By:
Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: You're little more than a complex impedance... on 07/19/2007 21:25:39 MDT Print View

I love reading these intellectual discussions about how to withstand a brush with God. It's like an ant frantically trying to decide between hiding under a leaf or a pebble as Godzilla's foot is bearing down upon her.

That being said, how about a wire mesh dome tent? From what I learned at the Science Museum in Boston electrickery runs only along the outside of the mesh... you can place your hand safely on the inside of the mesh. And the wire mesh would serve another purpose... that of keeping bears from gnashing you into mush; you would at least still be recognizable!

ROBERT TANGEN
(RobertM2S) - M

Locale: Lake Tahoe
T Storms on 07/19/2007 22:04:44 MDT Print View

Personally, I climb the highest tree and yell: “Blow winds, and crack your cheeks! Rage! Blow!” I rip off all my clothes and tear my white hair, which the impetuous blasts with eyeless rage catch in their fury, and make nothing of. I scream, “You cataracts and hurricanes spout till you have drowned our steeples! You sizzling lightning, singe my white head! And thou, all-shaking thunder, strike flat the thick rotundity of the world! You sulph ‘rous and thought-executing fires, advance couriers of oak-cleaving thunderbolts, crack nature’s moulds.” Then they drag me back to my safe, padded room.

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Re: You're little more than a complex impedance... on 07/20/2007 07:10:00 MDT Print View

This has nothing to do with the topic at hand but when I saw the subject "You're little more than a complex impedence" I had horrible flashbacks to Circuits. I was just praying imaginary numbers weren't going to be present when I opened the topic. Thank you for sparing us from turning a simple conversation about being safe in a lightning storm into something involving phasors and complex impedance. :D

Adam

Edited by aroth87 on 07/20/2007 07:11:18 MDT.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Carbon Fiber Poles in Thunderstorms on 07/20/2007 08:11:44 MDT Print View

http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/outdoors.htm

http://www.nols.edu/resources/research/pdfs/lightningsafetyguideline.pdf

Edited by jshann on 07/20/2007 08:14:26 MDT.

Jaiden .
(jaiden) - F
Re: Re: Carbon Fiber Poles in Thunderstorms on 07/20/2007 08:58:32 MDT Print View

Good urls... Points to note:
"Don't touch metallic objects like ice axes, crampons,tent poles or even jewelry"
and
"Stay away from metal objects, such as fences, poles and backpacks. Metal is an excellent conductor. "

John Kays
(johnk) - M

Locale: SoCal
Re: T Storms on 07/20/2007 10:06:30 MDT Print View

But Lear, being self-righteous, had no fear of the lightening bolts, was not challenging God but seeking His wrath on others. Crazy maybe, but not suicidal. On the other hand, the lightning was, in accordance with his perception, his ally and he momentarily acting as a forward observer for God’s own artillery battery, called for fire upon, “… all germens spill at once That make ingrateful man!”

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson
Bada Boom... on 07/20/2007 10:19:11 MDT Print View

“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.”

----Samuel Clemens (as Mark Twain)

Mike Barney
(eaglemb) - F

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!
Re: Re: You're little more than a complex impedance... on 07/20/2007 10:40:59 MDT Print View

Wow, another Double Easy out there? Woohoo! And Imaginary numbers and Phasors, makes we want to go back and enroll in a graduate Transient Circuts course ;)

MikeB

Mike Barney
(eaglemb) - F

Volunteer needed / You're little more than a complex impedance... on 07/20/2007 11:05:07 MDT Print View

What you're describing is called a Faraday cage. For Alternating Current or fast transients like lightning, the energy tends to stay on the "outside" of the cage. (Unfortunately, the definition of the 'outside' is not always obvious or simple, and there is documentation for people dying who were on the inside of structures.)

The reason a Faraday cage works is that like charges repel, so if you're in your car and you are struck by a massive instaneous bolt of negative electrons (aka lightning), the charge rapidly distributes itself on the outside of the car because the negative charges repel each other.

A non-convertable car is usually a pretty good Faraday cage, assuming you're appendages remain on the 'inside', whatever that is.

If you were going to be struck by lightning, you would be better off being in a Faraday cage (assuming it was stout enough to conduct the current well enough to not plate the molten plasma onto your undershorts)

Next class, we'll be modeling lightning strikes to tents as fast transients using the SEPTRE analysis program. We'll need a volunteer to fly a balloon off their CF tent pole to see if the program accurately predicts survivability.

MikeB

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Yep, another EE on 07/20/2007 11:13:28 MDT Print View

Working on it at least...
This semester should be lots of fun: Linear Systems, Electromagnetics, and Electronics I. Not to mention Linear Algebra. Its like having four math classes in one semester! All the excitement you can handle!
And don't be fooled, the name "phasor" makes it sound a lot more exciting than it really is.

Adam

Note- Make sure sarcasm meter batteries are fully charged before reading above post.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Volunteer needed / You're little more than a complex impedance... on 07/20/2007 11:14:19 MDT Print View

Sign me up!!

Ben Franklin

"Next class, we'll be modeling lightning strikes to tents as fast transients using the SEPTRE analysis program. We'll need a volunteer to fly a balloon off their CF tent pole to see if the program accurately predicts survivability.

MikeB"

Mike Barney
(eaglemb) - F

Too Bizarre: I am a complex impedance without a Faraday cage... on 07/22/2007 20:17:38 MDT Print View

This is too wierd. And it really is for real. I'm not drinking haven't had any prescription drugs in the last year, this is just wierd. I know I posted several times in this thread about lightning and Faraday cages in the past few days.

We're vacating at a beach house at Crystal Beach, TX, along comes a spectacular lightning storm in the Gulf of Mexico, we're watching it from the back porch, after a while, my oldest son and I come inside.

A few minutes later, at the same time we see a flash outside (which those still on the back porch claim hit one of the 20' high flagpoles on the porch) we hear and see this ZZZZAAAPPP! and flash ***inside*** the house, jumping from a tall vertical wooden support to a metal fixture to the faucet.
I immediately think the antenna or wiring must have been struck, but on closer inspection, there is no wiring in that immediate area. I'm guessing it jumped from the flagpole, to the roof, down this pillar, over to the metal fixture that holds up glass shelves (~8' long) then grounds to the plumbing.

This is too wierd to have been talking about this on this board the last few days then ZZZZAAAPPP!

I'm not sure if I should take up religion or drinking....

MikeB

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson
bottles and bibles on 07/22/2007 22:00:21 MDT Print View

>>I'm not sure if I should take up religion or drinking....

How about Science?

>:-)>

Edited by kdesign on 07/22/2007 22:29:09 MDT.