Forum Index » GEAR » Changes I'm making to my gear for this season...

Display Avatars Sort By:
Kevin Burton
(burtonator) - M

Locale: norcal
Changes I'm making to my gear for this season... on 01/23/2014 16:56:21 MST Print View

I figured I would post this to see if it spawns interesting discussion.

I've decided that in a few areas I'm going to go HEAVIER this year. My gear just wasn't cutting it and that having the slight extra weight is just a good idea in terms of safety and comfort.

To accommodate the additional weight on my pack, and to help justify it, I've decided to double down on the gym. I'm already in pretty darn good shape but I hired a professional coach to take things to the next level.

I've already lost about 10lbs and I'm seeing solid strength gains at the gym too.

So even if I add one lb of gear I'll still be WAY better in terms of overall efficiency.

The goal is to cut 15 lbs total but also start putting gains on my squat so the hills are insanely trivial :)

Gear changes:

* Googles.. Not sure why I didn't do this before. This should enable me to cook on my wood stove without burning my eyes out with smoke. No matter what I do I am always teary eyed after cooking. Can't be good for my health.

* Down pants. This should enable me to wake up at 5AM easily and hit the road and put in 2-3 hours while it's nice and cold.

* Wool top baselayer. Not sure why I didn't do this before. I only used a pair of wool pants as a base layer.

* Better rain gear. My existing rain gear is only so/so... My idea was to get solid rain gear and then sit in the shower for 30 minutes and make sure it keeps me nice and warm. I was reading a horror story about someone having a branch take out their tarp and split it during a rain storm. I think that in that situation I could start to get hypothermia as I would have no shelter. Staying up all night in my rain gear would suck of course but way better than death by being in the rain.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Changes I'm making to my gear for this season... on 01/23/2014 17:24:07 MST Print View

"This should enable me to cook on my wood stove without burning my eyes out with smoke."

Or just sit upwind from the wood stove.

"Not sure why I didn't do this before."

Nobody wears goggles in camp, anyway.

Don't focus on that, because wood stoves will be banned in lots of areas this year due to the drought and fire conditions.

--B.G.--

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Changes I'm making to my gear for this season... on 01/23/2014 17:36:55 MST Print View

" Down pants. This should enable me to wake up at 5AM easily and hit the road and put in 2-3 hours while it's nice and cold. "

Correct me if i'm wrong, but you're planning on hiking in down pants? Do your legs run unusually cold? Down pants are nice for camp/rest and all, but i wouldn't ever wear them hiking unless in some seriously, seriously cold temps. After 15 minutes of even going slightly up hill, i would roast in them in all but the most arctic temps. I've been out at 0-10 and grid fleece baselayer pants with a thin nylon shell over same, and long wool socks, were more than enough especially after 5 mins of any kind of exertion.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: west coast best coast
Re: Changes I'm making to my gear for this season... on 01/23/2014 17:43:13 MST Print View

I don't think the goggles are a bad idea at all, just ignore all the haters.

Desert Dweller
(Drusilla)

Locale: Wild Wild West
goggles on 01/23/2014 18:44:24 MST Print View

Some steampunk goggles would be cool!

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Re: Changes I'm making to my gear for this season... on 01/23/2014 19:56:02 MST Print View

i agree with the down pants thing. i snowshoe in shell snow pants with only shorts underneath in pretty low temps. hiking in down pants would be like 8000m stuff.

switch to a nice canister stove and enjoy the convenience :) click on, 3 mins boil, click off. no smokey eyes, pot, etc.

come to the white mountains and do a few peaks. will make those graded trails out west seem like a piece of cake.

Edited by JakeDatc on 01/23/2014 20:02:50 MST.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Changes I'm making to my gear for this season... on 01/23/2014 20:10:32 MST Print View

Increased fitness is always a good thing, so good for you.

Agree with the others about the down pants - not for hiking in.

I don't really have an opinion about the goggles, but you say all that smoke can't be good for your health. Goggles won't change that at all.

Lance Stalnaker
(Katangi)
down pants on 01/23/2014 20:27:37 MST Print View

+3 on the down pants. I can barely hike in a midweight base layer on my legs in winter once I get moving. As for the rest of your kit. I think we all scrutinize our load often. I have been lighter, but the older I get the more comfort items seem to creep back into my pack.

Kevin Burton
(burtonator) - M

Locale: norcal
Re: Re: Re: Changes I'm making to my gear for this season... on 01/23/2014 20:35:55 MST Print View

no way.. not going to switch stoves. Wood stoves have so many more advantages:

- infinite fuel... all the tea and how water bottles and warm showers I want

- I can use it as a REAL fire when there are no fire pits.

- helps keep insects away

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Changes I'm making to my gear for this season... on 01/23/2014 20:42:26 MST Print View

MYOG mask.

cody yochum
(uclacody0908)

Locale: Nor Cal
wood fires? on 01/24/2014 00:39:34 MST Print View

Ur locale says norcal...where do u hike that does not prohibit wood burning? Seems like parks I go to always prohibit this, seems like it will be even more strict in this dry season.

Owen McMurrey
(OwenM) - F - M

Locale: SE US
down pants on 01/24/2014 02:15:41 MST Print View

I'd like a pair of down pants, especially for trips out West, but think they'd mostly be wasted on me here in the South, as little use as they'd see. Last winter was colder than usual, though, and right now we're running about 25 degrees below normal, but I think next week will be the end of that. 'Course at this rate, if all this global warming continues, they'll go on the list of necessities...

btw, instead of full-fledged goggles for such limited use, a much lighter option would be the wraparound safety glasses with a foam surround and an elastic band instead of arms.