Forum Index » GEAR » Roll Your Own Toilet Paper

Display Avatars Sort By:
Benjamin Kelley
(Benjamin.Kelley) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
TP on 01/23/2014 09:04:45 MST Print View

I've always been fond of the little MRE toilet paper, when I need to use it anyways. Mainly because we have extras of it around, since everyone discards them from their MREs and uses their own giant rolls of charmin etc... They are small, I keep one in each of my hipbelt pockets. The compactness you just throw it in your pocket and can head off the cathole not carrying a bag/roll of TP with you. The brown paper wrapper is pretty good at keeping them dry, and it doubles as tender if you can have fires.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Roll-Your-Own Toilet Paper on 01/23/2014 09:22:40 MST Print View

"Also, if you begin the roll tightly around a length of string you can use it as a tampon for your bleeding vagina. Man-up, homeboy! You don't need toilet paper in the woods."

Really?

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio
Third Person on 01/23/2014 09:42:46 MST Print View

Why not just one "Critter posts a video" thread that Critter can update when Critter feels like it? Personally, Delmar likes to open a thread and read the thread, not get a redirect to YouTube every time. But some people might, so...why not a single thread for Critter vids? Then everybody's happy.

KEN LARSON
(KENLARSON) - MLife

Locale: Western Michigan
Toilet Paper Free Expeditions on 01/23/2014 10:40:12 MST Print View

Check this OUT!!

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/toilet_paper_free.html#.UuFTpCwo7IU

Billy Ray
(rosyfinch) - M

Locale: the mountains
Re: Toilet Paper Free Expeditions on 01/23/2014 10:52:35 MST Print View

"Check this OUT!!

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/toilet_paper_free.html#.UuFTpCwo7IU "

Those in the 3rd world who do not have toilet paper would walk a mile for a roll of it.

Now this guy who has as much of it as he wants writes about doing without it.

Each to his own.

But to me... exactly zero of his suggested alternatives appeal to me.

I find toilet paper convenient, comfortable, light weight, and no problems with burning it. Any unburned remnants can be packed out.

Billy

Billy Ray
(rosyfinch) - M

Re: Re: Toilet Paper Free Expeditions on 01/23/2014 11:34:41 MST Print View

Addendum:

Roll your own, but don't smoke the used TP... bad ju ju....

Billy

Daniel Pittman
(pitsy) - M

Locale: Central Texas
Re: Re: Re: Roll-Your-Own Toilet Paper on 01/23/2014 15:20:25 MST Print View

"Also, if you begin the roll tightly around a length of string you can use it as a tampon for your bleeding vagina. Man-up, homeboy! You don't need toilet paper in the woods."

Really?

Yes, really. And it's not a slight against women. My mother was raised in central America, and they didn't always have 'modern' sanitation in the jungle. I've known from an early age that toilet paper is a luxury, not a necessity.

Critter saying that he learned it from a Green Beret just smacks of dumb machismo to me. Since when are Green Berets supposed to be our role models? I take LNT very seriously, and take major offense at seeing TP blowing around on the trail.

Unless he's just trolling to improve his youtube metrics, in which case "Well played, sir. Now GTFO."

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: Roll-Your-Own Toilet Paper on 01/23/2014 15:35:59 MST Print View

I just take a partial roll, flatten it and put it in a ziplock. The tube doesn't weigh much and can be used for fire starting.

The other trick is to keep a roll in the car, as trailhead outhouses never have TP.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Re: Roll-Your-Own Toilet Paper on 01/23/2014 15:50:32 MST Print View

I don't worry about this out on the trail. I just let my staff handle the details.

--B.G.--

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Roll-Your-Own Toilet Paper on 01/23/2014 17:01:03 MST Print View

To me, if you are using regular toilet paper that cannot get wet, you have failed from the start.

Billy Ray
(rosyfinch) - M

Re: Re: Roll-Your-Own Toilet Paper on 01/23/2014 17:43:35 MST Print View

"To me, if you are using regular toilet paper that cannot get wet, you have failed from the start."

I guess you haven't heard of the TP with a DWR coating... that okay with you John? :)

Billy

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: west coast best coast
MYOG Toilet Paper on 01/23/2014 17:44:24 MST Print View

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3Ad6tBdLbM

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Re: Roll-Your-Own Toilet Paper on 01/23/2014 18:18:39 MST Print View

>"To me, if you are using regular toilet paper that cannot get wet, you have failed from the start."

I just multi-purpose the Tyvek ground cloth. It cleans up pretty well in the next stream or once I get home.

Not.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Roll Your Own Toilet Paper on 01/23/2014 18:30:13 MST Print View

If you poop by a waterfall you get rid of the evidence and have your bum washed at the same time.
Now, that is LW and multi-use !!!

Warning : if you see salmon jumping upstream, don't do it there !

Desert Dweller
(Drusilla)

Locale: Wild Wild West
Toilet paper on 01/23/2014 18:32:35 MST Print View

DO I need to tell you GUYS about the pee rag? Its a FEMALE thing. :-O Not for poop!
And NO there will NOT be a video....

Edited by Drusilla on 01/23/2014 18:33:09 MST.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: Re: Re: Roll-Your-Own Toilet Paper on 01/24/2014 09:22:25 MST Print View

Yeah, I never worry about running out. I've watched Mike Clelland's video!

On the other hand, while on a trip driving (in the Mojave where the roadside choices mostly all had spines of one sort or another, or would otherwise strongly object) I really had to go, and knew I was miles from any "civilized" solution. No desert tortoises of the appropriate size seemed at hand.

What I learned: that when considering multi-purposing materials for this in the future, that crumpled notebook paper is NOT the best choice, unless you are a hardened outdoorsman that is hardened in all the right places.

Edited by millonas on 01/24/2014 09:33:14 MST.

Kevin Babione
(KBabione) - MLife

Locale: Pennsylvania
Roll Your Own Toilet Paper on 01/24/2014 11:03:22 MST Print View

The best TP I've found is to cut up the disposable blue shop towels (available at Wal-Mart). I cut a sheet in half and then fold each half into a square. For me two squares a day are what I bring for a trip (plus two extra squares as insurance). They're soft, work well, and (very importantly) can be used in the rain.

I've never tried to burn them...I pack them out when used.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Roll your own - REALLY? on 01/24/2014 16:04:09 MST Print View

Wow, that's the most anal thing I've yet seen on BPL. A new record that will long stand.

Just pull out the d@mn cardboard center and flatten the roll.

DONE!

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Roll Your Own Toilet Paper on 01/24/2014 19:07:13 MST Print View

that's the most anal thing I've yet seen on BPL
Of course it is , we are discussing "wiping bum 101" here....

Steven Diogenes
(stevenn) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: Roll-Your-Own Toilet Paper on 01/24/2014 20:11:47 MST Print View

"Yes, really. And it's not a slight against women."

Where does the power of this insult come from if not in it's negative connotation of women? It's an insult that relies on the concept of women/vaginas being somehow weak, with the opposite positive value being strength, and only coming from men (clear in your use of the term 'man-up'). ie, 'don't be a weak woman, be a strong man'. That's the sexist (against both men and women) logic that exists behind your insult. Its equivalents are terms like 'pussy' or 'bitch', that are used as a derogatory term for someone who isn't as 'tough' as this culture's standards of masculinity require. Insults like this and the thinking/concepts behind them set us all up for harm. By saying your mother didn't use toilet paper either, you're saying she wasn't weak like a woman, she was strong like a man, but the same sexist logic is present.

There's nothing weak or gross about a woman or their wonderful bleeding vaginas (that you came falling out of no less); there's nothing wrong with a man if they don't live up to your standards of masculinity (or rather, the standards you've accepted). Gender roles and stereotypes suck.. they're damaging, and they're propped up every day by the things we say and how we behave (and the big one, media). I'm no saint either-- we're all born into this and it's a process of unlearning, but I felt it necessary to point out that sexism like that isn't OK anywhere, much less a mature forum like this.

Now don't get your panties in a bunch. (ba dum ch) (subtext: because if you show too much emotion and get a little frustrated you'll be acting like an emotional woman [who else wears panties?]! ...and that would just be terrible... right?......)