Interesting graph. Alas, there is too much noise and too little signal displayed in the 64 data points.
Statistically speaking, there is no apparent correlation between the two variables and while one could do linear estimation on the data, the result would be virtually meaningless as a predictor.
Still, a nice try and yes, there is some clustering as has already been pointed out.
Black = 2 known outliers = 3% of the total 64 points
Blue = 7 (11%) who appear to have bought high quality, brand new gear, one or more items are probably cuben
Red = 13 (20%) close to the norm - $750 to $1100 for 3.75 to 5 pounds
Green = 6 (9%) either very smart shoppers or they bought virtually all used gear or they bought their gear a LONG time ago at far cheaper prices than can be had today.
Orange = 1 (1.5%) a rich SUL gear geek; about 2.75 pounds of expensive SUL gear for about $1250? There's one in every crowd. Statistically, another outlier. Wish this were me!
Purple = 1 (1.5%) another SUL gear geek, obviously from Scotland; a very thrifty and crafty fellow. $550 for 1.75 pounds. Definite outlier. Will freeze to death on first trip into the Sierra.
That's 46% of the total data. The rest of us hiker trash fall in the remaining 54% - the YMMV/HYOH category. Logic suggests we all need to buy new gear. After all, he who dies with the most gear, irregardless of total weight, wins!