Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
$50 Evernew 600 = $17 Snow Peak Ti bowl
Display Avatars Sort By:
Joe L
(heyyou) - MLife

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr
$50 Evernew 600 = $17 Snow Peak Ti bowl on 01/18/2014 22:53:58 MST Print View

The short wide Evernew 600 ml Ti pot with lid and handles removed, weighs about the same as a Snow Peak Ti bowl which does not have a lid or handles. The volumes are very near to identical, but the prices are noticeably different.

K C
(KalebC) - F

Locale: South West
RE: on 01/19/2014 00:28:46 MST Print View

Apples and oranges

Mike Whitesell
(madgoat) - F

Locale: Ohio
bowl = pot on 01/19/2014 07:50:12 MST Print View

Yes, they are totally different products....

But, if you are buying a 600 and intend to remove the handles and use foil for a lid.... then this is good information.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: $50 Evernew 600 = $17 Snow Peak Ti bowl on 01/19/2014 07:55:41 MST Print View

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/3083

Brian Johns
(bcutlerj) - M

Locale: NorCal
Toaks Ti Bowls on 01/19/2014 13:08:19 MST Print View

They are made in China - which is at least for me less ubiquitous and unavoidable than it was three years ago - but I digress. Toaks has a range of Ti bowls that are steep sided, light and cheap at around $15.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: $50 Evernew 600 = $17 Snow Peak Ti bowl on 01/19/2014 13:28:08 MST Print View

I don't think they are apples and oranges when considering removing the handles from the Evenew, or any other pot of similar size. Like many multipurpose items, there are compromises. The Snowpeak bowl is about as light and cheap as you will find. I don't understand why it isn't more popular with SUL setups: $17 is more like an aluminum pot price, and a cheap one at that.

You can add a wire or bike spoke bail by drilling small holes near the rim or use some sort of pot grabber. The Open Country pot grabber adds a couple ounces and is about $4. The MSR LiteLifter is an ounce, but the price is nearly as much as the bowl, which really annoys me. The handle from a Trangia 28T cookset will work, but you can't buy them separately that I have found; it does seem like it would be easy to make one.

You can make a lid from turkey roaster foil, or just plain aluminum foil for that matter.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Locale: www.bplite.com
Bowls More Efficient on 01/20/2014 18:19:10 MST Print View

My experiments have proven bowls are more efficient than straight walled containers of the same size.