Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Coffee filter breathability test on several wind shirt fabrics
Display Avatars Sort By:
Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: Coffee filter breathability test on several wind shirt fabrics on 01/22/2014 07:44:12 MST Print View

Wim,

Could you elaborate a bit on how you use the filters?

Do you suck through them and then suck through the garment and keep adding filters until you subjectively think they are about the same?

Do you plug your nose when sucking?

Wim Depondt
(wim_depondt) - F - MLife

Locale: The low countries
Re: Re: Coffee filter breathability test on several wind shirt fabrics on 01/22/2014 11:37:46 MST Print View

Hi Daryl

"Do you suck through them and then suck through the garment and keep adding filters until you subjectively think they are about the same?"

Yep.

"Do you plug your nose when sucking?"

Good point. No, I did not plug my nose. But I just tested my breathing anatomy: it doesn't affect the 'sucking resistance' (but that's just me).

Wim

Wim Depondt
(wim_depondt) - F - MLife

Locale: The low countries
Re: Re: Coffee filter breathability test on several wind shirt fabrics on 01/22/2014 11:44:56 MST Print View

"Good thread Wim. I have some updates on windshirts I need to put together soon."

here is an idea: a kickstarter money collection to finance the airfare for David to team up with Richard Nisley for a State of the Market update on windshirts. Fair chance that might end up in the best BPL article in years.

Oh, we could do the same for Amy Lauterbach to finance a couple of RTW-tickets, in return for a dozen of her state of the art trip reports :-)

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio
Re: Re: Re: Coffee filter breathability test on several wind shirt fabrics on 01/22/2014 18:37:29 MST Print View

> "Do you plug your nose when sucking?"

I think it's important to get a good air seal around mouth and nose when sucking in air. Think of how a respirator fits. I make a (sort of) diamond shape with my fingers that seals around nose and mouth, then pull in as much air as I can. While my nose isn't obstructed, it isn't really used, either. Air goes in the mouth much faster so the nose just hangs out and watches the show.