Claustrophobia, quilt owners’ secret shame?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Diane Pinkers
(dipink) - M

Locale: Western Washington
quilt for me on 02/02/2014 17:29:07 MST Print View

As a side sleeper and a toss-and-turner, bags never made sense for me. Always ended up with the hood over my face, my legs tangled up, would wake up and have to spend time getting it all straight again.

The quilt is way easier for me, rarely get cold spots, and I wear separate head insulation. If I wake up cold, it's usually because I've been on my side with less surface area contacting the TAR Neo-air. Flipping onto my stomach or back seems to warm it up better.

Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Locale: Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
Re: quilt for me on 02/02/2014 20:01:56 MST Print View

I'm only claustrophobic if it's hot and there are mosquitoes and the only way to stay safe from them is to be sealed inside a quilt or a bag with my head under dying of heat prostration.

I don't find bivies claustrophobic at all. Mostly they're like some annoying blanket thing that doesn't provide enough protection from drafts and don't stay put as you roll around.

What I do these days is bring two quilts. One is 20 degrees and the other is 45. The 45 can be laid completely flat. It's an extra blanket. It prevents all drafts. I can cover my head with it when it's really cold or the moon is too bright. The other day I totally overslept and woke up well after sun-up because I kept looking and seeing only blackness and forgot the blanket was over my head. It's really nice to feel super toasty warm, as warm as at home in my bed. The extra quilt is a JRB wearable so I just save weight by not bringing a down jacket and wear the quilt instead. So much warmer around camp than a down jacket.

Larry De La Briandais
(Hitech) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
Re: Re: quilt for me on 02/04/2014 13:14:17 MST Print View

"As a side sleeper and a toss-and-turner, bags never made sense for me. Always ended up with the hood over my face, my legs tangled up, would wake up and have to spend time getting it all straight again."

Yup, me too. I've used a quilt at 25 degrees (it was around 25 all night long) and it was fine. I wore my syn "puffy" with hood and pulled the quilt over my head. I wore the "puffy" instead of draping it over me as I didn't want to take it off when going to bed, too cold! It all worked really well (my first winter BP trip ever) and I was almost too warm. Now if I can just find a good pillow...