BPing on O'ahu?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Brian Crain
(brcrain) - F

Locale: So Cal
BPing on O'ahu? on 01/15/2014 11:09:01 MST Print View

I'm headed to Waikiki to work for a week in early February and will have a day or two extra on the front or back end of the trip and I'd just as soon take advantage of it exploring some of the island. I'm looking for any advice on where to stay, what to see, where to hike, etc. I won't have time to island hop so I'll only be looking to BP/hike O'ahu. Appreciate any info you have to offer!

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Locale: London, UK
Re: BPing on O'ahu? on 01/15/2014 16:38:58 MST Print View

Lucky you! Recommend the Makapuu Point Lighthouse Trail and connecting Kaiwi Shoreline Trail on the East side and the Kaena Point Trail on the West side. Either way you will see lots of humpback whales breaching within a few hundred meters of shoreline. And the Kaena point trail has at its end a large population of nesting Laysan Albatross (2m wingspan!) and perhaps a monk seal or two lazing on the beach. Both are easy half day hikes with the East best done in the mornings (sunrise is amazing). The West side of Oahu can be kinda sketchy for tourists, so don't want to be there after dark. Bring a few liters water because it is pretty hot/dry especially on the West.

You should make it a point to visit Waimea Bay to watch the BIG WAVE surfing too.

Edited by rmjapan on 01/15/2014 23:54:27 MST.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: BPing on O'ahu? on 01/15/2014 21:21:40 MST Print View

I was on O'ahu doing a week of work two different times and had a day or two off. I googled the Hawaiian hiking club and saw that they had various outings scheduled. I met at the trailhead and went on a 5-hour hike with them. It was great to hike with locals, get more information about the area, and the particular hike I took, I couldn't have followed the over-grown trail like they could.

Brian Crain
(brcrain) - F

Locale: So Cal
Thanks on 01/16/2014 14:56:58 MST Print View

Thanks Rick and David, I really appreciate the advice!