Forum Index » GEAR » Measuring water

Display Avatars Sort By:
Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Measuring water on 01/14/2014 02:52:36 MST Print View

No one mentioned the sizes of the buckets.

Let the water bucket be huge, and the wine bucket small - so small it holds just one cup of wine.
Transfer 1 cup of wine to the water bucket. Now there is no wine in the wine bucket.
Transfer 1 cup of water/wine mix back to the wine bucket. Now there is a very small amount of wine in the wine bucket, and all the rest of the cup-full in the water bucket.

Alternately, let the water bucket be tiny and the wine bucket huge ...

I suggest the problem is so poorly defined that any answer could be correct.

Cheers

Larry De La Briandais
(Hitech) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
Great ideas... on 01/14/2014 12:00:09 MST Print View

With 1/4 cup measurements I can guess the others well enough.

Some really great ideas here (I knew there would be). I got one of those really light SS pots from Sierra Trading Post and I think I will use the center punch method, unless I can find my Dad's dremel. I need to find that thing, seems like there is always something I want it for. :^)

Thanks for the ideas. Next time I want to use a plastic container I have several new ideas to try!

Jeremy B.
(requiem) - F - M

Locale: Northern California
Re: Re: Re: Measuring water on 01/14/2014 12:48:31 MST Print View

Extending my "solution", as long as each bucket starts with at least 1 cup of liquid, this shouldn't actually matter; in each case the amount of wine added to the water bucket should equal the amount of water added to the wine bucket.

E.g. if you start with 1 cup of wine and 9 cups of water, you still end up with 0.9 cups of water in the wine bucket and 0.9 cups of wine in the water bucket.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Measuring water on 01/14/2014 13:09:35 MST Print View

After drinking enough of the wine, exact measures become less important : )

Alpo Kuusisto
(akuusist) - F - M
re: measuring water on 01/14/2014 14:10:55 MST Print View

I like to make my meals almost soups, so water usage is generous. Hot pasta soup on cold winter day - aahhh. But have never cooked with wine. How do you do that with freeze dried meals?

Ps. There's a simple and general answer to w vs w problem. No math involved, just logic.

Daniel Pittman
(pitsy) - M

Locale: Central Texas
Re: Re: Re: Measuring water on 01/14/2014 14:19:02 MST Print View

"I suggest the problem is so poorly defined that any answer could be correct."

Roger, I suggest you think about it a little more. C'mon! Work that big brain!

Jeremy B.
(requiem) - F - M

Locale: Northern California
Re: Re: Re: Re: Measuring water on 01/14/2014 15:01:22 MST Print View

General solution:

1. 1 cup from wine bucket A (quantity >= 1 cup) is added to water bucket B (quantity n cups, n>=1):

2. B has n+1 cups mix: n cups water, 1 cup wine.

3. Filling 1 cup from B thus gives a mixture of n/(n+1) cups water and 1/(n+1) cups wine.

4. B, after the cup is taken back, has the original 1 cup of wine, less the amount in the cup going back to A, or 1-[1/(n+1)] cups wine. This simplifies to n/(n+1) as per (3).

5. A, with its n/(n+1) cups water from the mixed cup from B, thus has the same amount of water as there is wine in B.

Daniel Pittman
(pitsy) - M

Locale: Central Texas
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Measuring water on 01/14/2014 15:08:39 MST Print View

That's a lot of math for a simple question....

Ryan Slack
(RWSlack) - F - M

Locale: Minnesota
mostly water on 01/14/2014 17:29:23 MST Print View

Wine being mostly water by composition, both buckets contain mostly water no matter what you do with them!

Also, in regards to "eyeballing it"...the one area I've found not to do this is in making coffee for a group. Get it right, then replicate exactly every day.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Re: Re: Re: Measuring water on 01/14/2014 18:10:10 MST Print View

I concur with Jeremy that (if the buckets are larger than cups (a reasonable assumption) and the two buckets are the same size/fullness at the start, then) there is exactly as much water in the wine as wine in the water after the two transfers, regardless of the size of the cups.

Nice problem. I use it at Middle School Math Club tomorrow.

Ryan "Rudy" Oury
(ohdogg79)

Locale: East Bay - CA
paint pens on 01/14/2014 21:47:49 MST Print View

Nobody mentioned paint pens as a good marking tool. They last MUCH longer than a sharpie and easier to do than dremel or punch marks. Available at hobby lobby or art stores for $3-4.