Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
MYOG stuff sack & bathtub groundsheet
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ben Smith

Locale: Epping Forest
MYOG stuff sack & bathtub groundsheet on 01/13/2014 05:44:01 MST Print View

Here are the photos of my first attempts at sewing. Warning: the following pictures may contain some awful sewing! Final weight of groundsheet in stuff sack is 138g so it's just under 5oz which I'm pretty happy with. I think I'm going to add some sort of rod or tubing to each corner to keep the sides a bit higher and tighter, just can't decide what to use!

side groundsheet

Jared Baker
(simply_light) - MLife

Locale: Midwest, US
Looks good on 01/13/2014 07:34:34 MST Print View

Very nice looking for your first attempt.

I use plastic welding rods in the corners for bathtub sheets. After your first row of stitching for the corners, I place a 2nd row just far enough apart of the plastic rod and then sew it closed after inserting. You can pick up a large package of them for like 5 bucks at a hardware store and they are pretty easy to cut with a pair of scissors.

A shock cord loop at the tie outs would help to maintain tension on the sides as the silnylon stretches.

I remember my first stuff sack I made. You couldn't find a straight stitch anywhere. I actually still have it. I keep all of my sewing feet in it. In fact, I just looked at the stitching this morning and shook my head.

Edited by simply_light on 01/13/2014 07:35:30 MST.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Looks good on 01/13/2014 07:51:41 MST Print View


And you used contrasting color thread so we can see where the seams are : )

Ben Smith

Locale: Epping Forest
welding rods on 01/13/2014 11:20:33 MST Print View

Funnily enough I had actually considered plastic welding rods for the corners already Jared but never having seen what they are I dismissed them! I'll order some now.

It's not actually silnylon so I'm hoping there won't be much stretch, I think it's PU coated.

I didn't try too hard to get the hemming perfect because the fabric only cost me £2.

Thanks for the nice comments.