November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
MYOG stuff sack & bathtub groundsheet
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ben Smith

Locale: Epping Forest
MYOG stuff sack & bathtub groundsheet on 01/13/2014 05:44:01 MST Print View

Here are the photos of my first attempts at sewing. Warning: the following pictures may contain some awful sewing! Final weight of groundsheet in stuff sack is 138g so it's just under 5oz which I'm pretty happy with. I think I'm going to add some sort of rod or tubing to each corner to keep the sides a bit higher and tighter, just can't decide what to use!

side groundsheet

Jared Baker
(simply_light) - MLife

Locale: Midwest, US
Looks good on 01/13/2014 07:34:34 MST Print View

Very nice looking for your first attempt.

I use plastic welding rods in the corners for bathtub sheets. After your first row of stitching for the corners, I place a 2nd row just far enough apart of the plastic rod and then sew it closed after inserting. You can pick up a large package of them for like 5 bucks at a hardware store and they are pretty easy to cut with a pair of scissors.

A shock cord loop at the tie outs would help to maintain tension on the sides as the silnylon stretches.

I remember my first stuff sack I made. You couldn't find a straight stitch anywhere. I actually still have it. I keep all of my sewing feet in it. In fact, I just looked at the stitching this morning and shook my head.

Edited by simply_light on 01/13/2014 07:35:30 MST.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Looks good on 01/13/2014 07:51:41 MST Print View

And you used contrasting color thread so we can see where the seams are : )

Ben Smith

Locale: Epping Forest
welding rods on 01/13/2014 11:20:33 MST Print View

Funnily enough I had actually considered plastic welding rods for the corners already Jared but never having seen what they are I dismissed them! I'll order some now.

It's not actually silnylon so I'm hoping there won't be much stretch, I think it's PU coated.

I didn't try too hard to get the hemming perfect because the fabric only cost me £2.

Thanks for the nice comments.