Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
WTB: wilderness toilet
Display Avatars Sort By:
Christopher Gilmore
(chrisjgilmore) - F - MLife

Locale: New Almaden
WTB: wilderness toilet on 01/12/2014 13:17:49 MST Print View

I'm looking for one of these, my wife has stomach issues and the tree slings don't work well for her.

wilderness toilet

I will even take a used unti as long as it is clean and in a good state of repair.

Thanks
CG

Mike Young
(klackamas) - F - MLife

Locale: ingreentrees@yahoo.com
try this... on 01/12/2014 13:23:35 MST Print View

take a rolled closed cell foam mattress and office sized trash can liners and sit lightly.

Christopher Gilmore

WTB: wilderness toilet on 01/12/2014 19:51:25 MST Print View

Thanks for the insight but were pretty set on having something a little more sturdy and we want to keep it under 20 oz. if at all possible.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: WTB: wilderness toilet on 01/12/2014 20:14:09 MST Print View

http://www.gizmag.com/bog-in-a-bag-backcountry-toilet-stool/24228/

Edited by jshann on 01/12/2014 20:18:02 MST.

Christopher Gilmore

WTB: wilderness toilet on 01/12/2014 20:45:08 MST Print View

John,
How much does it weigh and how much weight will it hold?

Thanks
CG

Tony Ronco
(tr-browsing) - MLife
Re: Re: WTB: wilderness toilet on 01/12/2014 22:31:30 MST Print View

Maybe this:
Use the Bog in a Bag stool concept posted by John above (with the WAG bag hole)
but modify this Grand Trunk stool along the same lines & put a WAG bag hole in it to reduce the system weight down from 2.6 lbs down to 10 oz.

http://store.grandtrunkgoods.com/micro-stool

grand trunk stool

Edited by tr-browsing on 01/12/2014 22:33:49 MST.

Christopher Gilmore

WTB: wilderness toilet on 01/12/2014 22:53:38 MST Print View

I do like the sound of 10 oz let me look into that.

victor larivee
(vlarivee) - MLife

Locale: white mountains
check this one out on 01/13/2014 13:42:42 MST Print View

This one is pretty good and requires no modification

Google: texsport portable toilet

Edited by vlarivee on 01/13/2014 13:43:42 MST.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: check this one out on 01/13/2014 14:51:54 MST Print View

For years we've had a toilet seat that snaps on a 5 gallon bucket for disaster and travel use. The trick is to use it with a 6 gallon bucket, which is the same diameter, but a bit taller. You can get 6 gallon buckets at some brewing supply stores.

In this case, I thought it might make a starting point for adaptation. Of course the lid can be left behind (no pun intended).

5 gallon bucket toilet seat lid

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: WTB: wilderness toilet on 01/13/2014 18:14:23 MST Print View

The one I posted is too heavy, but Tony's post is about the lightest. Trouble is some of the stools are kinda low to the ground. If you did the bucket lid like Dale posted, and didn't mind low, you can even use it with a 3.5 gallon bucket to make it lighter, maybe over 20 oz though.

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

WTB: wilderness toilet on 01/13/2014 18:53:07 MST Print View

What about a NeoAir Jembe:

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/seating/chair-kits/djembe-deluxe/product.

Cut a hole in the top fabric and use a wagbag, like the other options above. The Jembe itself weighs 7 oz, although it needs an inflatable pad (a NeoAir, not sure about other pads).

One problem would the need to inflate a pad anytime she needed to go, but it might be the lightest non-MYOG seat. Definitely trade-offs between weight and function for any of these options.

Good luck!

Christopher Gilmore

WTB: wilderness toilet on 01/13/2014 23:10:29 MST Print View

All guys ideas folks I like the 10oz stool idea and I'll have to look at the inflatable solution. As for carrying a bucket into the great outdoors I think that might be a pain to fit in the pack.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: WTB: wilderness toilet on 01/14/2014 00:45:24 MST Print View

I wouldn't haul a whole bucket. If you use bags, you only need enough frame to hold it all together. Looking at the wilderness toilet, I bet you could use just the top 2"-3" of a bucket and roll a blue foam pad to make the rest of the cylinder. A couple straps and you're all set. I don't want to be around if it fails!

The other thing that comes to mind is to cut big sections out of the bucket sides so there is just a frame with say 2" sections, cutting out two rows of "windows" and a good part of the bottom. A spade drill bit and a saber saw would whip it out pretty quick.

Larry De La Briandais
(Hitech) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
Re: Re: check this one out on 01/14/2014 12:21:58 MST Print View

I'd use the toilet seat (remove the lid to lighten it up) that snaps on a 5 gallon bucket. Cut down the bucket to save weight. Dig hole, place bucket over hole, do your "business", remove bucket and cover hole. I would think you cold get the entire toilet under 20 oz. - Shipping Weight is 13.6 ounces. Just the seat can't weight more than half of that, say 7 oz. That leaves 13 oz for the cut down bucket.

http://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Bucket-Portable-Toilet-Standard/dp/B004KLY5CE

Edited by Hitech on 01/14/2014 12:26:00 MST.