Forum Index » Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » sharing resupply service JMT at Le Conte Canyon Ranger Station?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Robert Richey
(BobR) - M

Locale: San Luis Obispo
resupply yourself at Independence on 03/29/2014 13:48:03 MDT Print View

Hi Marla. Hopefully this option is not off subject too much. Hiking over Kearsarge Pass to resupply in Independence requires seven miles one-way from the JMT to the trailhead at Onion Valley. You can then hitch a ride to pick up your resupply at the post office or at the Mt. Williamson Motel. The motel can hold your resupply for $50. They also advertise a package deal (http://mtwilliamsonmotel.com/resupply/) to pick you up and drop you off at the trailhead, provide lodging, breakfast, laundry facilities, etc., for $175 single or $275 double occupancy. I have not used this service myself, but it avoids the problem of hoping your resupply service shows up when they are supposed to and you are out of food.

Edited by BobR on 03/29/2014 13:49:19 MDT.

Marla Beringer
(masanella) - M
We'd rather stay on the trail on 03/29/2014 13:55:21 MDT Print View

Thanks, Bob.

Yes, indeed it is a little bit off subject, because were are not interested in getting of the trail.

And for the prices you mention we surely get some kind of resupply arranged while not having to leave the trail.
Thanks anway!

Marla

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: sharing resupply service JMT at Le Conte Canyon Ranger Station? on 03/29/2014 15:37:48 MDT Print View

holy cow that's expensive. I would pack in 35 pounds of resupply for less than half that cost... hey that sounds like a good way to make some extra cash, and you would be hiking so you could hardly call it work.

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
resupply on 03/29/2014 18:35:49 MDT Print View

I dont know how you could do better than http://mtwilliamsonmotel.com/. They will pick you up at the Onion Valley trailhead, you can spend a night , shower, laundry, repacking your resupply, etc, and be taken back to the trailhead next day. $275 for two people.

OK, you could hitch. But you still need somewhere to stay the night, etc.

Fairly well known JMT blogger Ray Rippel, had a resupply not show up last yr. The packer doing the resupply thought it did, they did not acknowledge any wrongdoing.

http://jmtbook.com/category/blog/

Edited by livingontheroad on 03/29/2014 19:13:27 MDT.

Robert Richey
(BobR) - M

Locale: San Luis Obispo
JMT resupply conundrum on 03/30/2014 12:51:41 MDT Print View

Marla, if you are still looking for someone to share a resupply you might try the JMT group on Facebook as well as the JMT Yahoo group. Both groups are very active.

The JMT stretch between Whitney Portal and the Muir Trail Ranch poses real problems for people averaging less than 11-12 miles per day. Renting a Bearikade Expedition from the Wild Ideas guys and being clever in packing the canister can help. Most people take way more food than they eat, but hiking without enough calories is not a good strategy for most hikers.

Depending on the reliability of strangers for resupply seems dicey to me. I've heard multiple reports of people getting left in the lurch without their resupply packages. For some people hiking out over Kearsarge to Independence might be something for one to consider if limited vacation time is not an issue since it's only seven miles.

The Mt. Williamson lodging deal is somewhat pricey, but just paying $50 for them to hold your resupply might be a good option as the post office closes at 4:00 and is not open on the weekends. The other issue is that hitching a ride back and forth from Onion Valley to Independence could require several hours and a lot of charm. Offering gas money to passing campers could help your chances.

Paul McLaughlin
(paul) - MLife
a possibility near Kearsarge on 03/30/2014 22:37:36 MDT Print View

check this out:

http://eastsidesierrashuttle.com/backpacker_delivery_map_kearsarge.html

Marla Beringer
(masanella) - M
Thanks (and final decision) on 04/05/2014 08:01:59 MDT Print View

Thanks Paul, BobR and everybody else for helping!

We decided to use the hikers resupply service of Eastern Sierra Suttle Service.
We do like to stay on the trail and because of that I find the costs reasonable, especially because we hardly have any other options when we want to stay on the trail.

I know it might be cheaper to arrange something with an individual person who would like to combine hiking and earningh some money, but for us this seemes a more secure arrangement.

I also became a member of the Yahoo Group. Great way to get a lot of information!

Marla

Edited by masanella on 04/05/2014 08:02:52 MDT.