Forum Index » GEAR » What Dan McHale has to say about UL backpacks

Display Avatars Sort By:
Edward Jursek
(nedjursek@gmail.com) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Ron's comments on 02/16/2014 16:57:01 MST Print View

+1 to Ron's comments. I don't always agree with Ron, but find he offers thoughtful opinions and explanations. I am disappointed in SMD's move to heavier packs. I think that part of the market is covered by the likes of Golite, ULA, HMG, and McHale. Time will tell if that was a smart business move by SMD. Now if SMD would only come out with a cuben Gatewood!

Edited by nedjursek@gmail.com on 02/16/2014 17:01:59 MST.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: McHale on 02/16/2014 17:05:41 MST Print View

I have two McHales, and for almost every 3 season trip I take with them my base weight is under 10 lbs, which the pundits here say is UL. So these MUST be UL packs. Which, I suppose, is Dan's "rant" about really light packs.

If you can't backpack within the BPL definition of UL with a 4 or 5 lb pack, and you think UL is Nirvana, maybe there are other gear items you need to pare down, or even leave at home. The good thing about my packs is that I can easily carry 10-14 days of food and copious amounts of water. Plus I don't need to worry about a pack failure on the trail. It works for me. YMMV.

I am sure that Dan can, should he want to, build really light packs. But there are reasons (I can guess why -- but don't want speak for him) he chooses not to.

Again, we are debating gear ad-nauseum here instead of focusing on our hobby, which is to get outdoors and hike.

dan mchale
(wildlife) - MLife

Locale: Cascadia
a pound on 02/16/2014 17:37:43 MST Print View

Who said, " a pound on the back is like 5 in the mind. " Was that me? Seriously though, the whole UL thing has turned young men into wimps and old guys into people I don't want to deal with.

Edited by wildlife on 02/16/2014 17:51:22 MST.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: a pound on 02/16/2014 17:57:58 MST Print View

"Who said, " a pound on the back is like 5 in the mind. " Was that me? Seriously though, the whole UL thing has turned young men into wimps and old guys into people I don't want to deal with."

Best post of the thread!!!

dan mchale
(wildlife) - MLife

Damn the torpedos on 02/16/2014 18:06:16 MST Print View

Welcome abored!

Craig, I saw your post about GoPros. I picked up a Hero 3 Black edition last year at Best Buy I'll sell for $200.00. I'm just not into it. I got it to film the motorcycle crash that kills me but lost interest.

Edited by wildlife on 02/16/2014 18:25:36 MST.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
What Dan McHale has to say about UL backpacks on 02/16/2014 18:22:22 MST Print View

"the whole UL thing has turned young men into wimps and old guys into people I don't want to deal with"
Well fair enough but what about the middle-age crowd ?

dan mchale
(wildlife) - MLife

young guys on 02/16/2014 18:27:35 MST Print View

Young to me is 45! ;>)

Edited by wildlife on 02/16/2014 18:43:14 MST.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: What Dan McHale has to say about UL backpacks on 02/16/2014 18:50:21 MST Print View

"Well fair enough but what about the middle-age crowd ?"

They buy Corvettes.

dan mchale
(wildlife) - MLife

Corvette sink hole on 02/16/2014 18:58:17 MST Print View

I knew this thread would go downhill as soon as we got involved. On the plus side I get to call this work.

Edited by wildlife on 02/16/2014 19:03:32 MST.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: What Dan McHale has to say about UL backpacks on 02/16/2014 19:02:02 MST Print View

"They buy Corvettes."

Red ones.

dan mchale
(wildlife) - MLife

red on 02/16/2014 19:06:31 MST Print View

I want Tesla Torque. (but am settling for a used 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid)

Edited by wildlife on 02/16/2014 19:29:46 MST.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Corvette sink hole on 02/16/2014 19:07:00 MST Print View

Corvette...meet sinkhole.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/02/watch-corvettes-swallowed-massive-sinkhole-corvette-museum.html

William F
(wkf) - F

Locale: PNW
Re: a pound on 02/16/2014 19:39:32 MST Print View

I'm feeling so wimpy right now. How did you become such a man? You aren't related to Chuck Norris are you?

And all I have to look forward to in life is meaningless wandering around in the Gear forum at BPL until I reach middle age when I'll have to buy a red Corvette with money I don't have? Please, just kill me now.

edit: oh, I didn't see the sinkhole pic, definitely kill me now

Edited by wkf on 02/16/2014 19:40:39 MST.

dan mchale
(wildlife) - MLife

fitness on 02/16/2014 19:53:57 MST Print View

We could talk about how light gear does not make up for the lack of a fitness program.....or fitness itself.....but you knew that.

Edited by wildlife on 02/16/2014 19:55:31 MST.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: fitness on 02/16/2014 20:07:53 MST Print View

"We could talk about how light gear does not make up for the lack of a fitness program.....or fitness itself.....but you knew that."

Second best post of the thread.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: a pound on 02/16/2014 20:13:35 MST Print View

"And all I have to look forward to in life is meaningless wandering around in the Gear forum at BPL until I reach middle age when I'll have to buy a red Corvette with money I don't have?"

Get thee from The Temple, wander in the wilderness instead, repent your sins, and maybe you'll return man enough to merit a McHale Pack. It's cheaper than a Corvette and has a better resale value.

Rick Adams
(rickadams100) - M
damn on 02/16/2014 20:16:05 MST Print View

I feel so conflicted....so excited my new McHale is almost here. But I'm supposed to crave a red corvette instead? Is that so I can run away faster?

dan mchale
(wildlife) - MLife

metal detector on 02/16/2014 20:19:31 MST Print View

Hey Tom! I was at Cabela's the other day looking at 'gear' and I actually carried a metal detector around for awhile. After awhile I put it back on the shelf, emailed my girlfriend, told her I almost bought one, but was not quite ready for that! I'm slip, slip, slipping away! I think it was just a brief lapse, but a person has to have a plan.

Rick, it's almost done! ;>) Oh, and it's red Tesla.

Edited by wildlife on 02/16/2014 20:30:51 MST.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: metal detector on 02/16/2014 20:30:14 MST Print View

"I think it was just a brief lapse, but a person has to have a plan."

Don't do it, Dan. You're my role model, and I couldn't bear the thought of watching you wandering around on the banks of Green lake with a metal detector like all those clueless bozos that talk to themselves, and whoop it up when they find a quarter. This whole UL fad'll pass and in a year or so it'll just seem like a bad dream. Honest...

Glenn S
(Glenn64) - M

Locale: Snowhere, MN
Right pack for the job on 02/16/2014 20:33:43 MST Print View

Speaking of cars and packs, call me naive, but I see a correlation. I wouldn't drive an 18-wheeler as my commuter vehicle, anymore than I'd use a Prius for hauling a stack of 3/4" plywood. The article in focus, speaks of not trying to carry 25-30 pounds in a frameless pack. A sub 1 lb job I'm assuming. I agree with that. But I don't necessarily agree with using a 2-3 lb pack for a weekend stroll through the woods with a starting weight under 15 lbs.

I understand the rant, but saying there's no place for frameless UL packs even on a day hike is drifting over the fence to the other side of extreme. At least that's my opinion.

It's funny how "packing" has become a sport unto itself. Before my time, people just rolled up their stuff in a blanket, tied the ends together and slung it over a shoulder. Now it's not about the hike, or the climb, or the ride, or the float... it's about the pack. People go so far as to pack for sport and have never even slept outside. Something or other about Zombies and an Apocalypse. Go figure.

Anyway, I'll continue to try and match my pack with my adventure. I don't believe there's any such thing as a universal pack for all uses.

Edit: 'cuz I never get it right the first time.

Edited by Glenn64 on 02/16/2014 20:38:09 MST.