Water Repellent Down, One Year In
Display Avatars Sort By:
John Vance
(Servingko) - F

Locale: Intermountain West
DWR Down on 01/16/2014 16:47:48 MST Print View

I am going to take a wait and see approach. Having just layed down five bills for another new quilt, I didn't even hesitate checking the 900 fill non treated down box.

Mitchell Ebbott
(mebbott) - F - M

Locale: SoCal
Good news for poor people on 01/17/2014 15:23:53 MST Print View

I have to say, this thread is making me feel a lot better about not being able to afford a nice WR down jacket and quilt right now. It'll save me money down the road too, since EE's untreated duck down is half the price of their 850 fill DownTek, Looks like there's no good reason to save up an extra $200 before getting a quilt.

Brian Johns
(bcutlerj) - M

Locale: NorCal
good news for me on 01/17/2014 15:48:57 MST Print View

My favorite thing about this thread, is learning that I wash my down gear as rarely as the next guy. Sleeping bag - every two to three years. Jacket - maybe once a year; maybe every other. I do go to great lengths to keep these things clean, though. I rarely get in a bag without a wash and a change first. And the jackets as someone else mentioned usually go on at night. I try really hard to keep urban and trail down puffies separate too. I usually succeed.

Edited by bcutlerj on 01/17/2014 15:51:47 MST.

Ross Bleakney
(rossbleakney) - MLife

Locale: Cascades
Re: DWR Down on 01/17/2014 19:47:28 MST Print View

>> real world experiments, such as if the bag gets soaked

That is an interesting scenario, but I really don't care that much about it. What I care about is if it gets damp, not soaking wet. For example, if I'm out on a week long trip, and it is rainy and foggy every day (where I'm essentially in a cloud), how well does the bag work? Should I just carry a synthetic bag instead? The same goes for a jacket, where one of the big concerns is sweat.

hwc 1954
(wcollings) - M
Increased loft? on 01/17/2014 21:27:54 MST Print View

It appears that the manufacturers are claiming an increased loft for treated down over the same down untreated, i.e. an untreated 800 down is 900 down after treatment. I wonder how long this increased loft lasts in the real world.

Woubeir (from Europe)
(Woubeir) - F - MLife
Re: Re: DWR Down on 01/18/2014 05:05:26 MST Print View

"That is an interesting scenario, but I really don't care that much about it. What I care about is if it gets damp, not soaking wet. For example, if I'm out on a week long trip, and it is rainy and foggy every day (where I'm essentially in a cloud), how well does the bag work? "
Essentially for that I take a bag with a little bit extra down as buffer. The los that I get from damp conditions effecting the down, is so largely or even completely buffered by that extra down.
OK, so I always take a bag that is a bit warmer than I need for most conditions, and is thus also a bit heavier, but I'm always comfortably warm and isn't that valuable too (to say the least).