Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Rolled or Folded Ridgerest as Packframe
Display Avatars Sort By:
Art ...
(asandh) - F
Neither Rolled or Folded on 01/13/2014 08:18:37 MST Print View

I don't like either the rolled or folded method for my frameless pack.
Both options make the pack too stiff for my liking.
I place what soft goods I have against my back in a way that allows complete contouring of the pack to the curves of the back.
Since I'm not carrying a lot of weight in a frameless I let my shoulders carry 75% of the weight. I do have a waste belt but its mostly for stability.
the significantly cut down Ridgerest gets strapped to the outside.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Neither Rolled or Folded on 01/13/2014 08:53:49 MST Print View

There have been a number of ideas how to make back of pack S shaped to contour to shape of back.

But is that really critical?

If your waist belt carries a lot of load, then maybe you want the pack to contact the hips well - sort of a rectangular area against the hips - maybe extending a little above the waist belt.

I guess that doesn't apply so much if the waist belt isn't carrying much load.

And when you carry weight on shoulders, you want good contact on upper back.

Maybe you don't want contact on small of back. If you leave it open, you can get ventilation to reduce sweating.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
ONCE MORE - WITH FEELING on 01/14/2014 13:24:39 MST Print View

I've posted several times over my years on BPL

MY FRAMELESS PACK "FRAME" SOLUTION:

1. Cut a Ridgerest in half (top and bottom halves)

2. Glue strips of 2" wide mating Velcro to join the two halves of the mattress for sleeping.

3. On an existing frameless pack-> sew 2 vertical tubes on the outside of the back (with Velcroed top flaps) to accomodate the two TIGHTLY rolled Ridgerest halves. These tubes can be a strong but soft mesh or an uncoated synthetic fabric. I would prefer mesh for beathability.

4. On a DIY frameless pack-> sew these two "frame tubes" inside the back of the pack.

That setup appears to be the MOST RIGID version of a mattress-as-frame possible. Now true weight transfer to a padded hipbelt is possible.

Edited by Danepacker on 01/14/2014 13:28:19 MST.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Ridgerest columns on 01/14/2014 14:42:19 MST Print View

That gets the gears turning

I wonder if three straps for each Ridgerest column would work.

Also, you could roll the Ridgerest into two rolls like a scroll and use them inside the pack that way. Mesh top and bottom pockets a la the Gossamer Gear back pad could contain the pad rolled in that manner, but inside the pack vs outside. Straps may work too.