Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Yosemite hike... Badger Pass webcam looks dismal

Display Avatars Sort By:
Michael Driscoll
(Hillhikerz) - M

Locale: Monterey Bay
Yosemite hike... Badger Pass webcam looks dismal on 01/09/2014 11:29:38 MST Print View

Anyone been out to Dewey or Glacier points. It does not look like a pulk will work with out wheels. ? Can one walk out and it looks like water will be running during the day time...

Andrew F
(andrew.f) - F - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Yosemite on 01/09/2014 11:49:17 MST Print View

There's a recent trip report on yosemitenews which has pics of conditions on the south rim. There's very little snow right now. Doubt you could use a pulk and you might not even need snowshoes. Snow Creek had less than a foot of snow and was melting fast on Christmas.

David W.
(Davidpcvsamoa) - MLife

Locale: East Bay, CA
Re: Yosemite on 01/09/2014 11:55:27 MST Print View

The road to Badger/Glacier Pt. is closed due to lack of snow: http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

Edited by Davidpcvsamoa on 01/09/2014 11:56:08 MST.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Yosemite on 01/09/2014 12:15:12 MST Print View

"The road to Badger/Glacier Pt. is closed due to lack of snow: http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/conditions.htm "

That's interesting. I just checked, and it is closed due to snow, not lack of snow.

--B.G.--

David W.
(Davidpcvsamoa) - MLife

Locale: East Bay, CA
Re: Yosemite on 01/09/2014 12:33:57 MST Print View

How would it be closed due to snow (rather than a lack of snow)? Glacier Pt. Road to Badger ski area is typically open this time of year (absent a recent sizable storm). It has not snowed in weeks and it is no secret that we are way below average for typical snow accumulation.

I read on Yosemite forums it was related to seasonal staffing and likely not wanting to patrol the road all the way Glacier Pt.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Yosemite on 01/09/2014 12:38:21 MST Print View

It's a bad snow year here in Washington too. Probably the worst in over a decade.

I keep cursing and antagonizing the Snow God in hopes of suffering his wrath but no luck so far. I guess I'll put off buying the Hoks until next year.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Yosemite on 01/09/2014 12:50:13 MST Print View

"How would it be closed due to snow (rather than a lack of snow)? "

David, you should put that question to the National Park Service when they publish this information on the web site.

When the Badger Pass Ski Area is open for business, they pay for having their parking lot plowed. The road is open that far, so downhill skiers use the lot, and cross country skiers use it as well. When Badger Pass is not open for business, they don't pay for plowing the lot. Therefore, there may not be a safe place for cross country skiers to park, so NPS leaves the road to Badger Pass open or closed, depending on its mood. When there is any doubt, they leave it closed.

--B.G.--

steven franchuk
(Surf) - M
Re: Re: Re: Yosemite on 01/09/2014 20:24:10 MST Print View

""How would it be closed due to snow (rather than a lack of snow)? "

David, you should put that question to the National Park Service when they publish this information on the web site."

The park typically prohibits overnight parking on seasonal roads in about october. After that the road will be close with the first significant snowfall. if you park your car at glacier and the first significant snowfall occures while you are hiking, Your car will stay there until the road opens in the spring.

There was at least one significant storm in November and that closed the roads. the National park service web site simply lists the road as closed.

the visitor center and shop at glacier point is used a ski hut in the winter. If you have a reservation you and cross country ski the glacier point road and spend the night in the Glacier point building.

When the park service is sure that significant snowfall is unlikely for the rest of the season and the roads are certified safe the road will open.

It is still early early winter and no one is predicting no more snow for the rest of the year.

Until the weather service is capable of predicting the weather with 90% acccuracy for the rest of the winter, the park service will not open the roads until about may at the earliest.

Katy Anderson
(KatyAnderson) - F
very little snow on 01/09/2014 22:25:34 MST Print View

I was in Yosemite last week. Walked up to Glacier Point via the JMT and Panorama trail. Some of the trails are a little icy so traction devices such as micro spikes help, but there isn't nearly enough snow for skis, snow shoes or pulk.
Last week I had Glacier Point to myself overnight. But now that they have reopened the 4 mile trail from the Valley there will be a lot more folks up there.
Not really a winter experience in Yosemite at the moment. Sorry.

PS. Water was actually a bit of an issue. The snow for melting was kind of old looking and tasted none too good. There are almost no creeks running as there is very little snow. And collecting water from above the waterfalls is never a good idea and even less so when the waters edge is icy and slippery.

Michael Driscoll
(Hillhikerz) - M

Locale: Monterey Bay
Yosemite hike... Badger Pass webcam looks dismal on 01/10/2014 01:22:51 MST Print View

I guess I had no idea the road to Badger would or could be closed...

Katy thanks for the trip report... was looking for a snow camp on the next full moon... but no snow...