Forum Index » GEAR » MLD Pillow X . . . Anybody use/tried one?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Brian Johns
(bcutlerj) - M

Locale: NorCal
MLD Pillow X . . . Anybody use/tried one? on 01/08/2014 20:59:32 MST Print View

I'm curious. I have an old Kooka Bay pillow that came with a winter inflatable I have, but I really like the looks of the X for being an inflatable that offers a little nesting/sinking for the head or face. So, do you have or use one? Has anyone told you they love or hate it? Thanks in advance for the help. Difficult to research beyond Ron's page at the MLD site here: http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=207

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Pillow X..Anybody use/tried one? on 01/08/2014 21:29:01 MST Print View

Brian, I just got one from GofastandLight.com here in the Bay Area. I should get it in a few days.

Brian Johns
(bcutlerj) - M

Locale: NorCal
Re: Pillow X..Anybody use/tried one? on 01/08/2014 22:26:50 MST Print View

Jay, Thanks. Look forward to hearing your thoughts. Brian

Jason G
(JasonG) - F

Locale: iceberg lake
sold on 01/09/2014 01:44:07 MST Print View

These are made by klymit and I actually just sold one in gear swap.

I didnt sleep a full night on it.. just tried it out on the floor. it was ok. It cradled the head nicely. only reason I sold it cus it didn't have tabs, like my exped ul pillow, to strap to my pad.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Klymit Pillow on 01/09/2014 12:50:02 MST Print View

FWIW, this pillow is also part of Klymit's new O Zone pad:
http://www.klymit.com/index.php/products-1/sleeping-pads/inertia-o-zone.html

Sara C
(Jon) - M

Locale: SE Missouri and NW Arkansas
Re: MLD Pillow X . . . Anybody use/tried one? on 01/09/2014 13:43:59 MST Print View

I like it a lot better than other inflatables I've tried, including the Montbell pillow. My head stays on it and it doesn't feel "bouncy".

david delabaere
(davidvcd) - M

Locale: Northern VA
Re: sold on 01/10/2014 09:58:11 MST Print View

How are they compared to the exped pillows ? They are my favorites so far but I don't neet the tab attachments. I only sleep on my back.

Patrick Baker
(f1prb22) - M
Its OK on 01/10/2014 13:25:12 MST Print View

I slept in mine last night in the bed, along with my regular pillows, and it was OK, no issues, and it seems as though the X design may pan out as an improvement over the 1.7oz "wine bag pillow" I am using. I also got mine at GofastandLight.com for a good intro price. Although its box is labeled 1.9oz, it was 2oz out of the box, and 2.1oz this morning after inflation, or 59 grams if I recall correctly.

David White
(davidw) - F

Locale: Midwest
How does it feel... on 01/13/2014 00:54:57 MST Print View

Does the polyester have a "plasticy" feel next to the skin? The design and weight look great IF I don't have to add a cotton pillow case to make it useable.

Scott Hayden
(Spiffyguy) - F
Compared to Exped UL on 01/13/2014 16:01:01 MST Print View

I would like to know how it compares to an Exped UL. I was thinking about getting one but saw the X pillow. Decisions lol

Aaron Davis
(ardavis324) - F
Re: How does it feel... on 01/13/2014 18:50:06 MST Print View

Got mine in mail today. I'd say it feels surprisingly silky, not as plasticky as I imagined. Feels really comfy when back sleeping, however a little thin if side sleeping. I'm a side sleeper so I plan on putting something under it for an inch or two more height.

Katherine .
(Katherine) - F

Locale: pdx
any updates on 08/25/2014 21:25:35 MDT Print View

i'm considering this pillow. Any more experience with it? Particularly side sleepers.

Aaron Davis
(ardavis324) - F
Re: any updates on 08/25/2014 21:35:26 MDT Print View

I've used it about 10 nights now. Side sleeper 90% of the time. If my pillow at home is a 10, i'd rate this a 6 if used by itself. It's not quite thick enough to put my head/neck at a comfortable angle. The fabric isn't that cozy against the skin all night either. It was much better with my down jacket wrapped around it. I do still like that you can nestle your head in it so that there is no pressure on your ear. It's better than other options, especially considering the weight. I plan on continuing to use it.

Edited by ardavis324 on 08/25/2014 21:36:18 MDT.