Forum Index » Gear Deals » Target - 1/4 zip 100 wt fleece on sale $12.

Display Avatars Sort By:
Benjamin Meadors
(thebentern) - F

Locale: Central Arkansas
Polypro on 01/09/2014 14:01:03 MST Print View

I've always heard that polypro is a more efficient textile in terms of insulation than polyester, but I also remember reading a thread a while ago, mentioning that it does not hold up well as polyester(it pills up quickly), and odor control is much worse than polyester. It looks like Outer bounds has added some anti-microbial stuff to combat the stink. It's probably silver, like that x-static used in polartec garments.

Edited by thebentern on 01/09/2014 14:02:41 MST.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Polypro on 01/09/2014 14:07:53 MST Print View

Hi Benjamin,

Re: the pilling up, i'm not sure in regards to this specific application and kind of garment, and when i asked if anyone had any experience with polypropylene (true) fleece, no one answered affirmatively. Woven polyproplene is a bit weaker than woven polyester, but not by much.

Yes, the odor issue is definitely a big issue with polypropylene. I've found that wearing Merino blends underneath the polypropylene helps reduce that issue. I personally wouldn't wear PP as a baselayer because of the quick and bad, and potentially permanent stink.

Anyways, i will stop derailing Delmar's thread here. If anyone is ever interested in doing a group buy of some of that PP fleece, let me know. I would go in as much as 10 yds of the stuff once i start working again.

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster) - F

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio
Various on 01/09/2014 15:02:19 MST Print View

> I think fleece provides very little warmth. Richard said about 1 clo for 100 wt. I don't think heavier fleece provides that much more.

I dunno; a CLO of 1 is pretty respectable, equivalent to a wool suit. But I'm pretty sure Richard meant Iclo of a little under 1 for 100 wt fleece, which has to be multiplied by garment coverage. According to notes I've taken:

- “Average” Polartec 100 weight shirt CLO = .40
- “Average” Polartec 200 wt shirt CLO = .76
- “Average” Polartec 300 wt shirt CLO = 1.03

Remember you have to add the above CLO to whatever else you're wearing to get an overall CLO to look up on Richard's chart. I doubt few of us are wearing a fleece shirt and naked everywhere else (except Paul, maybe).

> So per the handy chart, if there are 3 uniform weights to non-waterproof fleece, then my zip pullovers are 100's, my Lands End vests are probably 200s, my unlined sweater-jackets are 300s. OK.

I also wondered what oz weights applied to the various polartec weights for shirts/sweaters, and here are my notes:

- 100 wt tops range 6-11 oz.
- 200 wt tops range 13-20 oz.
- 300 wt tops, I don't know; I've seen one number at 32 oz.

> I would really like to try polypropylene fleece...Anyways, i will stop derailing Delmar's thread here. If anyone is ever interested in doing a group buy of some of that PP fleece, let me know.

Me too! and Please continue! I don't sew (yet) so I wouldn't know what to do with a bolt of PP fleece, but I'd stand in line to buy a sweater of it. Generally the base layer soaks up most of the odor, so I don't imagine having a PP insulating layer would be so bad.

Start a thread on it in the MYOG Justin, and I'll bet you get your buyers in no time.

Edited by Bolster on 01/09/2014 15:05:08 MST.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Various on 01/09/2014 19:36:10 MST Print View

Hi Delmar,

Not much else to say about it, but that's a good suggestion about the MYOG and starting a thread there, thanks. I may do that once i'm working again. Man, you really need to learn how to sew!

Don't make me break out into Disney songs.. "A Whole New World, a new fantastic point of view, no one to tell us no..."

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Justin on 01/09/2014 21:26:18 MST Print View

Justin,
regarding work. setup a linkedin profile, and post the URL in Chaff or your profile somewhere. Networking is a big part of job hunting. Those that wanna help you out will reach out to a fellow BPLer. A while back someone did a survey on BPL peeps, turns out we're not all full time smelly dirt bags homeless hippies. Most are white collared educated business, medical, IT and engineering professionals, with enough time to read BPL while at work.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Justin on 01/10/2014 10:12:46 MST Print View

Thanks for the sound suggestion Roger.

Phillip Asby
(PGAsby) - M

Locale: North Carolina
C9 on 01/10/2014 11:08:44 MST Print View

I've gone on record supporting these fleeces. I normally wear a Large in most everything (Montbell stuff being the exception and super athletic cut stuff) - certainly L from Marmot, Patagonia, TNF, Brooks Range even RAB. The C9 fleece is not "athletic" cut but I've not found it to be overly big. If you want it snug then size down, but the L fits me pretty well, a bit boxy but not crazy (i.e. Filson).

I've found mine to be quite warm for the weight as well. Wore mine hiking in 20s temp with a mid base layer and was quite comfortable. Used it as a sleep layer in low 20s in a 20 degree bag and was snug as a bug.

My two have held up quite well. Worn a ton around camp and even more around the house and town. They are just great - can't speak highly enough really.

As a caveat, I've had mine for at least a year and a half - not sure of the country of manufacture given there are some indications that sizing is different depending on the manufacturer.

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster) - F

Tale of Two Countries? on 01/10/2014 11:45:30 MST Print View

That's interesting. I'm going to guess your "size down" instructions apply to the previous manufacture of C9 Indonesia fleeces. The current Cambodia fleeces, according to reviewers at the Target website, are somewhat tighter, and the complaints are coming from people who had good fit on the Indo fleeces, saying that the Cambo fleeces are now too small.

Which makes sense to me, because my mediums of Marmot and LLBean 100wt zip tops are looser than this C9, which fits tighter and more shirt-like than sweater-like. (BTW, most comments of the previous Indo fleeces are like yours -- very positive).

Given the fitment issues, it sounds like this is a garment to try on in the store, rather than order online. I'm happy with the fit of my M but I'd want it no smaller/tighter.

Edited by Bolster on 01/10/2014 11:52:33 MST.

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster) - F

Now down to $9. on 01/31/2014 10:42:31 MST Print View

My local Target has reduced these C9 half-zip shirts further to $9.

Could not resist. Now own 3 of them.

Edited by Bolster on 01/31/2014 17:54:35 MST.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Re: Now down to $9. on 01/31/2014 11:26:24 MST Print View

Thanks for the tip. All the SoCal retailer are dumping their winter clothes at big discounts, however it's mostly not online. Got an email from REI that for the SoCal stores, in-stores only, they had some mega sale on winter clothes.

I hope that smart people interested will go to Target store first and pay regular price, instead of overpaying at Gear Swap next week for 3x the price.

Edited by RogerDodger on 01/31/2014 11:37:34 MST.

Evan E.
(evaneis) - M

Locale: New England
target fleece on 01/31/2014 20:54:56 MST Print View

I like the target fleeces but I'm much more psyched about the lands end polartec fleeces I've recently found at Sears on sale. I think it's better quality fleece and I'm betting the zippers will last longer than the target ones. I got a 1/2 zip pullover at 8.5 oz for $17, and a crew at 6.7 oz for $12, both 100 weight polartec fleece size medium.

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster) - F

Evidence? on 02/02/2014 11:57:35 MST Print View

What's the evidence regarding the superiority of Sears/Lands End lightweight fleece?

I'm comparing the Target/C9 to a Marmot Polartec (which is an ounce lighter) and am hard pressed to find a lot of differences. The C9 has a few more details like a zipper garage and a behind-the-zipper baffle which might account for the +1 oz weight, but as far as fit and finish, I'm not seeing a superiority for one or the other.

Although I suppose seeing the word "Polartec" on the label adds a subliminal je ne sais quoi.

Edited by Bolster on 02/02/2014 12:17:23 MST.

Evan E.
(evaneis) - M

Locale: New England
target fleece on 02/02/2014 20:43:47 MST Print View

No evidence, that's a totally subjective call on my part.

zorobabel frankenstein
(zorobabel) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Now down to $9. on 02/04/2014 14:09:23 MST Print View

My local Target has these back up to MSRP $17.99 as of 2/3/2014. I went in expecting to find them at $9.

Adam Kramer
(rbeard) - M

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia
i got one in atl over the weekend on 02/04/2014 14:22:32 MST Print View

for 8.99

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Re: Re: Now down to $9. zorobabel on 02/04/2014 14:44:57 MST Print View

Often at Target the sticker price is high, the checkout price is low.

get a price check.

TJ Christopher
(Compel) - F
Re: Re: Re: Now down to $9 on 02/04/2014 23:34:24 MST Print View

I just picked up one the C9s at Target for $9 so definately price check that sucker.

Regarding the different fleece top options, the quality might be similar but try them on if you can. To quote me from a different thread:

I picked up one each of the Target C9 and Sears Nordictrack to compare.
The fabric and finish seems pretty comparable, however the fit is pretty different.
I'm 5' 10' 145 lbs and the small C9 is an athletic fit and just big enough, the Nordictrack small is roomy and just on the border of being too big.

Target C9 Size S
Weight: 7.75 oz
Width at hem: 19 in
Width at armpit: 20 in
Center back length: 26.25 in
Sleeve length: 33 in

Sears Nordic Size S
Weight: 9.625 oz
Width at hem: 21 in
Width at armpit: 21 in
Center back length: 27.5 in
Sleeve length: 33 in

zorobabel frankenstein
(zorobabel) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Re: Re: Now down to $9. zorobabel on 02/04/2014 23:49:00 MST Print View

I did check the barcode at one of their scanners. Target is a hit or miss with clearance items IMO.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Now down to $9. zorobabel on 02/05/2014 09:46:43 MST Print View

My Target store customer service is very good, you could go to the CS desk for a price correction, ask to match the price at the other T stores. This is a fair request, because it's not comparing Amazon or Wally. It's Target vs Target. They would do it I think if you ask nicely.

Eric Johnson
(unimog) - MLife

Locale: Utah
Re: Lands End Fleece on 02/05/2014 09:51:46 MST Print View

I love Land's End Fleece - other than the price. The other nice thing for us tall, skinny guys is they have med tall, which is just right on me (6'2", 150lb). It is rare that I find a med with long enough arms. My favorite is from a couple of years back with 100 weight fleece and nylon stretchy/breathable down the sides.