Canine thru-hike of CDT
Display Avatars Sort By:
Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: Look who just went through security on 01/26/2014 22:05:30 MST Print View

Dogs that have been groomed like that should be banned from public areas regardless. :-o

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: Look who just went through security on 01/26/2014 22:15:07 MST Print View

Give 'em a break.

They probably just left Denali NP after a successful summit.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Look who just went through security on 01/26/2014 22:35:11 MST Print View

David, I must say that poodles are awfully smart, but I don't know that I would want one to be making medical decisions for me.

--B.G.--

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Re: Look who just went through security on 01/27/2014 01:36:55 MST Print View

Mark: the particular bits that were shaved reminded me of. . . oh, never mind, Australian moderators are awake at this hour.

Greg: In the late 80's someone would show up for the ceremonial Iditarod start in Anchorage with a team of Standard Poodles mostly because the crowd loved hearing, "Mush, Fifi, Mush!"

Bob: Agreed, standard (not miniature) poodles are smart. But I'd have trouble taking direction from even an M.S.RN seriously if she had that haircut.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Re: Look who just went through security on 01/27/2014 14:43:11 MST Print View

> oh, never mind, Australian moderators are awake at this hour.
barely...

Cheers

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Canine thru-hike of CDT on 01/27/2014 14:57:27 MST Print View

Luna De La Paz (RIP)leading
Luna on the lead

more poodles
more poodles

John Harper
(johnnyh88) - M

Locale: The SouthWest
Re: Look who just went through security on 01/27/2014 15:08:39 MST Print View

Oh come on, that's clearly a service dog for people with poor fashion sense.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: Re: Re: service dog on 01/27/2014 17:41:38 MST Print View

Actually Mark that's a good point...and I agree with you. If Bethany did not herself need that alert dog, then absolutely she should be vilified.
If she is gaming the system that way, then yes, string her up and smack her about her with all of BPL's (and the entire interwebs) vitriol. If she is training that dog, there is plenty of wilderness where dogs are allowed where she could do that and would not have to use National Parks. I'd LOVE to be able to take my dog (who could totally pass for a service dog, by the way...until he stuck his nose in your crotch) in the national parks, but I don't because he's not allowed.

So yes...if she's gaming the system then by all means have at her. I guess I'm just a bit bothered by everyone jumping on her and accusing her of gaming the system when in fact we know nothing of the sort.

So SHE may be an example of a person with a real medical/disability issue who is being hurt by people who cheat.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Judge and Jury on 01/27/2014 18:11:16 MST Print View

I have a dog. I don't take him backpacking. He does go camping a lot and he hikes often, but only where he is allowed to go and is always leashed. Those are the rules.

I hate most dog owners I meet on the trail, with a dog in tow -- or usually not in tow or leashed.

Whether or not this lady is right or wrong we don't really know. Perhaps a service dog should require a permit, like a vehicle placard for disabled persons. Or perhaps no special treatment at all. It is a big debate. And aren't there is more important things for us to do, such as get out and go hiking?

Besides, there are greater crimes being committed daily, such as thousands of backpackers stealing condiments from fast food joints.

Oh, those glass houses and rocks!!