Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Canine thru-hike of CDT
Display Avatars Sort By:
Sharon J.
(squark) - F

Locale: SF Bay area
Canine thru-hike of CDT on 01/08/2014 16:36:06 MST Print View

Saw this on facebook, thought it was pretty cool. Her blog is linked. Only read a few entries so far, but am enjoying

http://dogblog.ruffwear.net/2014/01/08/grizby-and-bethany-complete-a-thru-hike-of-the-continental-divide-trail/

edited to make more linky.

Edited by squark on 01/08/2014 16:37:00 MST.

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - F - M

Locale: NW Montana
Re: Canine thru-hike of CDT on 01/08/2014 16:59:26 MST Print View

I'm really curious as to how she was able to get around the regulations about dogs in the national parks. They're illegal on all trails. Yet she clearly has her dog on several of Glacier's major passes and trails.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
dogs. on 01/08/2014 17:11:55 MST Print View

Perhaps it's the oft-employed "the rules don't apply to me and my dog" approach?

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: dogs. on 01/08/2014 18:12:44 MST Print View

" "the rules don't apply to me and my dog" approach?""

For which reason Allah, in His infinite wisdom, created grizzlies, particularly sows with cubs.

Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

Locale: People's Republic of Boulder
service dog on 01/08/2014 18:27:19 MST Print View

If you look at the red pack the dog is wearing, looks like there is a service dog patch on the pack. (Can't tell 100%..but fairly certain)

http://www.workingservicedog.com/Service_dog_vest_Therapy_dog.aspx?gclid=CO3y5NH377sCFa9cMgodhTIAEg

Without going too far down the rabbit hole, I'll just say it is easy to get a service dog patch. This information is often shared on various long distance hiking resource lists, forums and Face Book lists.
http://www.freemypaws.com/?gclid=CO39s-n377sCFawRMwodZl4AMw
https://www.usservicedogregistry.org/shop.php

The NPS recognizes this certification for various reasons that, again, I won't hazard to guess/state as that could start a flame war. :) I will say most agencies tread lightly when it comes to possible ADA conflicts.

Check out the ADA website: http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm
"
When it is not obvious what service an animal provides, only limited inquiries are allowed. Staff may ask two questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability, and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform. Staff cannot ask about the person’s disability, require medical documentation, require a special identification card or training documentation for the dog, or ask that the dog demonstrate its ability to perform the work or task."

Edited by PaulMags on 01/08/2014 18:58:44 MST.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: dogs. on 01/08/2014 18:28:14 MST Print View

Tom,
Maybe you don't want to ask those questions...

Grizby2
Bethany and Grizby

Edited by greg23 on 01/08/2014 19:28:36 MST.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Re: dogs. on 01/08/2014 20:42:22 MST Print View

"Maybe you don't want to ask those questions..."

OUCH! Where's that sow, now that I need her? No, not the sow in the picture.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
ahhh... on 01/08/2014 21:05:51 MST Print View

It's most likely the "I bought a Service Dog patch on Ebay because the rules don't apply to me and my dog" approach.

John Harper
(johnnyh88) - M

Locale: The SouthWest
Re: Canine thru-hike of CDT on 01/08/2014 21:46:25 MST Print View

I can't see thru-hiking such a long trail being very healthy for a dog, especially if made to wear a pack. I imagine the hike aged him several years.

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - F - M

Locale: NW Montana
Re: Re: Canine thru-hike of CDT on 01/08/2014 22:58:11 MST Print View

If Grizby is a service dog, then I gladly withdraw my complaint.

EDIT: Yikes! The comments on Ruffwear's site are quickly getting nasty.

Edited by GlacierRambler on 01/08/2014 23:01:01 MST.

Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

Certified on 01/08/2014 23:21:39 MST Print View

The dog may be a service dog by paper....

------------------------------
READ BETWEEN. :)
--------------------------------

Edited by PaulMags on 01/08/2014 23:22:15 MST.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Certified on 01/09/2014 10:36:02 MST Print View

I agree that this looks suspicious but there are service dogs out there for epileptics (seizure dogs) and other disorders which may not be visible to the eye.

I agree with the comments that this isn't one of those issues that NPS would likely get too aggressive with. It's a losing battle and if you're wrong, the horrible PR fallout would likely end someone's career.

Edit to add: Belgian Malinois are amazing police dogs. If you get a chance, do a search on YouTube. There are some awesome videos of these dogs jumping over cars and other amazing feats.

Edited by IDBLOOM on 01/09/2014 11:43:30 MST.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Re: Re: Canine thru-hike of CDT on 01/09/2014 10:41:42 MST Print View

>"Yikes! The comments on Ruffwear's site are quickly getting nasty."

Maybe, like me, they're tired of all the abuses of the "service dog" concept. Just 20 years ago, if someone tried to take a lapdog into a restaurant or grocery store, they would have been told to leave. Now little yappy dogs are in stores all the time, sometimes peeing in the aisles. And airlines have been such wimps about distinguishing actually trained service dogs from "I clicked my heels and declared my pet to be an emotional-support animal" that it is a rare domestic flight that doesn't have at least one pet outside of a carrier and with a lot less training and control than my family's pet dog. (it doesn't help that checking them as baggage costs $100 or more, vet certification, early arrival, and weather constraints, while "service" animals breeze on through at no cost).

Medical privacy, blah, blah, blah, is great and all, but in other cases when society makes accommodations for an actual medical condition, you DON'T self-certify and you DO have to disclose. Handicap parking, carrying oxygen tanks onto a airplane, needing corrective lenses to drive, etc.

And then there are all the reasons dogs aren't allowed in the backcountry - killing and harassing wildlife, defecation, worrying other hikers. To which EVERY owner says, "oh, but my dog doesn't do that."

And what's a Belgian Malinois? I totally get that chocolates and lace doilies are a nicer heritage than gassing 6 million Jews, but still, a German Shepard by any other name. . . .

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Thanks for nothing on 01/09/2014 10:48:08 MST Print View

"And what's a Belgian Malinois? I totally get that chocolates and lace doilies are a nicer heritage than gassing 6 million Jews, but still, a German Shepard by any other name. . . ."

Just spit coffee on my keyboard. Wonderful.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
"service dog" on 01/09/2014 10:56:29 MST Print View

From the link Paul posted to www.freemypaws.com where they sell ID cards for $99 to $199 (deluxe kit with vest):

Q: I have to fly this week, do you offer expedited shipping?

A. Yes we do, please select “expedited shipping” during the checkout process and a fee will be assessed before final checkout which delivers your Free My Paws ID Kit in as little as 2 business days!

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: "service dog" on 01/09/2014 12:02:16 MST Print View

Looks like there was another Malinois named Nuna on the trail also but I haven't read far enough into her blog to find out what his/her story is.

I skimmed through the blog and looked at her Blogger profile. I didn't see her mention why Grizby is a service dog but she is a dog trainer. It could be legit as easily as BS. Sounds like this is an on your honor system and if she wants to keep those details private, that's her prerogative.

Either way it looked like a wonderful adventure and I look forward to reading through her blog later this evening.

Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

Trauma and Yoni on 01/09/2014 17:24:49 MST Print View

A friend reminded me, Trauma and his dog Yoni hiked the calendar triple crown (plus Key West to Gaspe' !) in 2006.

Not sure if Yoni was in the national parks or not the whole way.

So the claim above may or may not be correct in any case. :)

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: "service dog" on 01/09/2014 17:44:25 MST Print View

"Sounds like this is an on your honor system..."

Yep.

"... and if she wants to keep those details private, that's her prerogative."

Provided they are legit according to ADA.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: "service dog" on 01/09/2014 17:47:24 MST Print View

"Provided they are legit according to ADA."

Agreed.

David Olsen
(bivysack.com) - F - M

Locale: Channeled Scablands
psychiatric service animal on 01/09/2014 18:02:28 MST Print View

http://fox13now.com/2013/07/06/hang-gliding-service-dog-sticks-by-owners-side/