Using Roger Caffin's article about making a quilt/sleeping bag, I tried my hand at making one so I can get my pack weight down to a reasonable amount. I used a Thru-Hiker quilt materials bundle of coyote brown M50 for the outer shell, black M50 for the inner shell, and about 11.5 ounces of 900 fp down. I am coming from a 5 lb.(!) synthetic bag which I have been using in quilt fashion, and I like a hood and closed footbox, so I incorporated them into my quilt.
The baffles are 6 inches apart with a loft of about 3 inches. The top of the bag came out about 56 inches wide using the entire width of the fabric minus half an inch for each selvedge, and it's about 72 inches long.
I included three pair of grosgrain loops for fashioning some sort of connection to my sleeping pad in the near future, and one small grosgrain loop at the footbox for hanging for drying in the field or for storage in a closet. I also have a channel around the top of the hood so I can potentially run a drawstring with cord lock to draw it around my head if needed, but I'm not sure that will be used.
Anyway, I had a blast doing it! I'm ready to order more materials and make my wife, son, daughter, and son-in-law quilts whether they want them or not. It was a little tedious at times, but overall I found the process fascinating and very fun. And I definitely feel like I have a better handle on sewing after that project.