Forum Index » Pre-Trip Planning » Italy/Turkey/etc. hiking in April or May?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Dave T
(DaveT) - F
Italy/Turkey/etc. hiking in April or May? on 01/05/2014 10:44:55 MST Print View

Hi all.

Look like I'll be in Italy (and perhaps Croatia/Turkey) in late April into mid May. And I might have a chance to extend the trip for a couple weeks earlier (i.e. mid April) or later (into late May) for some backpacking/trekking.

Is there anything that would be adventurous, beautiful, or otherwise highly recommended that time of year? I have wondered about the GR20 on Corsica, the Lycian Way in Turkey, etc. Seems like May on the GR20 could be tough/impossible due to snow? How about the Lycian Way? Other options?

Any and ALL thoughts welcome!

Thanks!

Dave.

Edited by DaveT on 01/05/2014 11:02:37 MST.

William Chilton
(WilliamC3) - MLife

Locale: Antakya
Re: Italy/Turkey/etc. hiking in April or May? on 01/05/2014 13:15:08 MST Print View

The Lycian Way is good in April. There will probably be some snow on the higher sections (above 1,600m or so), but nothing that should make it unwalkable. Late May is getting hot for the lowest sections unless you're used to walking in the heat.
You might want to take a look at the Carian Trail (Karya Yolu) as well. It opened last year. See http://www.kariayolu.com/
http://cultureroutesinturkey.com/c/ is a good website to start researching Turkish trails.
If you decide on Turkey, pm me and I'll give you any help I can.

Michael Schwartz
(greenwalk) - MLife

Locale: PA & Ireland
Italy/Turkey/etc. hiking in April or May? on 01/05/2014 13:45:03 MST Print View

Check out Cicerone Press for many ideas too.

Amy Lauterbach
(drongobird) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Turkey/etc. hiking in April or May? on 01/05/2014 18:12:14 MST Print View

Turkey in April/May? See our trip reports:
Lycian Way and St Paul Trail
KaƧkar Mountains

We had a fabulous time there.

Edited by drongobird on 01/05/2014 18:12:48 MST.

Mike Van
(Mike777) - MLife
Selvaggio Blu on 01/06/2014 17:40:51 MST Print View

I can't think of anything more "adventurous, beautiful or otherwise highly recommended" in Italy (or in the whole of Europe for that matter) than Selvaggio Blu but it's extremely tough, even with a guide. April or May would be the best period to attempt it.