GGG Whatcha Bringing?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ryan "Rudy" Oury
(ohdogg79)

Locale: East Bay - CA
thanks for encouragement on 01/07/2014 09:08:33 MST Print View

Thanks to all for the encouragement :) Feeling much less apprehensive at this point and very excited to meet a lot of people and see tons of gear on display! As stated, I've been most interested in the MYOG, UltraLight/UltraCheap ideas, so will make sure to bring some things i've made...
-a couple stove/stand/caldera-cone setups
-a polycro, tape-reinforced tarp w/ mason cord lines
-ziploc bag "platypus"
-100's mini-ziplocs (1"x1"-ish)
-hiking poles modified from $2 thrift store cross-country ski poles

See you all there!

Erik G
(fox212)

Locale: THE Bay Area :)
Re: whatcha bringing on 01/07/2014 11:53:36 MST Print View

Can't wait for the GGG! Really excited to meet everyone and check out all the gear :)

Things I'll be bringing that may be of interest:

-HMG Echo 2 tarp and beak
-YMG bug shelter 1.25 (custom dimensions)
-Trimmed NeoAir Xlite
-MYOG 1/8" ccf padded groundsheet
-My sawyer/platy filter setup
-weather meter (maybe)
-Mont Bell alpine light parka
-Mont Bell Ti cookware

I'll update this list if I think of anything else.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: GGG Whatcha Bringing? on 01/07/2014 20:41:47 MST Print View

"A projector would be awesome. Bring The Wizards of the PCT and I am sure that will go over good. One of the best of the best. Fun & Funny!!"

I don't have that one, but I do have The Cairngorms in Winter with Chris Townsend.

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: Re: GGG Whatcha Bringing? on 01/07/2014 21:11:15 MST Print View

I know this is going to disappoint a lot of people, but I just found out my 500-count order of "Doug Ide Bobble Head Dolls" won't be shipped in time for me to bring them to the GGG.

There were some serious quality control issues. They couldn't get the anatomy to scale. I'll say no more.

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Re: Re: whatcha bringing on 01/07/2014 21:37:52 MST Print View

>>>Erik G: winter meter

If by that you mean a Kestrel Meter 4500 Weather Meter... than yes, please bring it!!

>>>Doug: Wizards of the PCT

I have a copy of it on DVD that I can bring if you want. Last thing I want to do is watch a movie all about the snow and mountains when it is dark and cold :-D

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: whatcha bringing on 01/07/2014 21:55:30 MST Print View

"I have a copy of it on DVD that I can bring if you want. Last thing I want to do is watch a movie all about the snow and mountains when it is dark and cold :-D"

I was gonna bring Dead Snow!

Can't use a DVD - my iPod is the projector - I can only use digital files that I already have loaded or on someone else's iPod or iPhone prior to 5 (old 30-pin connector).

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: whatcha bringing on 01/07/2014 22:17:58 MST Print View

I have Club Paradise on my iPod. It's set in the tropics, John.

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
Re: whatcha bringing on 01/07/2014 23:07:05 MST Print View

Lets see, what shall I bring?

Oh yeah,

Borahgear Stealth backpack
Borahgami original (wings opposite sides)
Borahgami (wings same side)
Borahgami "THE BIG ONE" fits 3 or more people plus gear depending on what size they are. LOL
10x10 flat tarp set up like the D&D 3x3 meter configuration.
5x9 flat tarp with extra pull outs for multi pitches
Borah gear down pants
Borah gear down vest (lightest on the market)
Borah gear E-vent bivy
Borah gear wide long bivy with M-90 top and 30-d silnylon bottom
MYOG pillow with Nobul 1 and syn. filling
MYOG quilt with 5.0 Apex, Argon for the top material and Nobul 1 for the inside extra long 6' 8"
Hopefully I'll have my proto type backpack ready to bring, it will be a multi use pack i.e.. It will be a pack, a sleeping pad, bivy, rain cover all in one, 1,800-2000 cu. in.

Plus my usual array of MYOG.

@ Ken I have some things I can bring for the younger group to make their own solar camp lights, I just need to know the head count and check my stock.

It will be an easy project to do and they will have a memento to take home with them that they can also use as a night light at home or hiking.

Jack

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Re: Re: whatcha bringing on 01/07/2014 23:24:35 MST Print View

It would see I do not own a single piece of gear from Bora Gear... that's pretty messed up. Any discount on a pair of down pants delivered to the GGG?? 10d, medium. 34 inseam, 1.5 extra fill to help with loft for the extra inseam length (??)

Edited by JohnAbela on 01/07/2014 23:27:14 MST.

E J
(mountainwalker) - MLife

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England
Just heard from SMD - they'll have the new pack lineup + new and revised shelters at the GGG on 01/08/2014 13:50:26 MST Print View

"We will have a Lunar Solo at the GGG along with several new and revised
shelters. Plus our new pack lineup.

Thanks,
Ron"

E J
(mountainwalker) - MLife

@Ryan you'll fit right in; looking forward to meeting you Re: thanks for encouragement on 01/08/2014 13:54:04 MST Print View

Hi Ryan, looking forward to meeting you. The group at the GGG is one of the most welcoming and friendly bunch of folks you'll ever meet, who happen to be among the most serious gear geeks and outdoor enthusiasts you'll ever meet. You'll be in cottage and MYOG heaven.

I have a film Ms. EJ and I made of a recent GGG that I think you'll enjoy and which will give you some flavor - will post the link here later this evening.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: whatcha bringing on 01/08/2014 15:54:29 MST Print View

Ken,

Is someone trying to do a movie projector and screen to the GGG?

If so, I have a Blu-ray copy of Mile....Mile & a Half, which is JMT documentary that just came out covering a group's 2011 JMT trip in July....lots of snow and sunny shots.

Highly recommend the movie, if no one has seen it.

Link to trailers to the movie:

http://themuirproject.com/mmah/videos/

By the way, with the 2nd site and up to 100 people coming, did you want me to grab some more name tags?

Any idea of how many kids/young people coming out this year?

Jack@ Looking forward to seeing you....are you going to be officially representing Borah this year??? I will be bringing my family for the 1st time. Have my 10 yr old daughter coming...if that helps with the head count on kids.

Tony

Edited by Valshar on 01/08/2014 15:59:45 MST.

Erik G
(fox212)

Locale: THE Bay Area :)
Re: weather meter on 01/08/2014 16:27:02 MST Print View

Hey John, I went with the Kestrel 3500NV. But yes, it's coming to the GGG (as long as it arrives in time, fingers crossed).

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: whatcha bringing on 01/08/2014 17:34:21 MST Print View

"Is someone trying to do a movie projector and screen to the GGG?"

Me. But it's a 'lightweight' pico projector and tyvek screen - it doesn't play/use physical media (DVDs and Blu Ray discs, etc.). It attaches to my iPod, which has the movies. Again, I don't really expect anyone to actually watch a movie, I'm bringing it as a bit of a lark to show those interested how light one can bring movies on a camping trip.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
GGG Whatcha Bringing? on 01/08/2014 18:40:30 MST Print View

I would like to check that out Doug. A movie out in the middle of no where sounds good for kids.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: whatcha bringing on 01/08/2014 19:34:36 MST Print View

Tony, might as well be safe and bring some more tags. Sharpies I have. Only a handful of kids this time. M&M's girls, James' two, Kevin's son and yours. I think that's all.

Good thing it is a short ride/hike in for Jack with all that stuff.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Re: whatcha bringing on 01/08/2014 20:25:40 MST Print View

Ken,

I will make sure that I get some more...if their are extras, we can use them next year.

As for kids....at least there are going to be some.

Looking forward to showing the family the fun madness that the GGG is.....will be good to see you too.

Tony

E J
(mountainwalker) - MLife

Re: thanks for encouragement - Bay Area GGG Film - a glimpse for Ryan and other first timers on 01/08/2014 22:52:38 MST Print View

Ryan, maybe this will make you feel better: This is a little valentine Ms. EJ and I put together for all the wonderful friends we’ve made, the many helpful things we’ve learned and the amazingly creative gear makers we’ve met.

http://vimeo.com/36630858

For those sitting on the fence about coming to the GGG, don’t be shy - you’ll have a great time and learn a lot.

Backpackers Gone Wild: BPL 3rd Annual SF Bay Area Gathering of Gear Geeks (GGG) 2011

Some memorable moments:

-The Gear Stove Boil-Off – WARNING this gets HOT!
-What happens in Coe stays in Coe and things that go bump in the night
-How Tony makes it through a cold lonely night
-Richard Nisley guest interview
-Styrofoam snow and picnicking BPL style
-What lightweight backpackers really sound like
-Debbie’s first place win for shared item
-The next Backpackers Gone Wild casting event

[NOTE - the 2011 trip was in January not February]

Edited by mountainwalker on 01/08/2014 23:00:54 MST.

Eric Lundquist
(cobberman) - F - M

Locale: Northern Colorado
Re: GGG Whatcha Bringing? on 01/15/2014 19:13:01 MST Print View

If someone has a ZPacks Hammock Tarp with Doors, I'd love to take a look at it. I'm contemplating getting one for hammock and ground use so I'd like to see the coverage in "ground mode".

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: GGG Whatcha Bringing? - Eric on 01/15/2014 20:14:01 MST Print View

"If someone has a ZPacks Hammock Tarp with Doors, I'd love to take a look at it."

I'll have mine, you can mess with it during the day (it'll be over my hammock at night!)