Forum Index » GEAR » Baselayer to sleep

Display Avatars Sort By:
eric schultz
(schultz104) - F - M

Locale: phoenix
Baselayer to sleep on 01/04/2014 08:57:32 MST Print View

I bought a 30 degree nemo quilt. I had a 15 degree bag that I slept in my underwear on the trail. I have been using the quilt and at times I get a little chilly at night. I am looking for some lightweight options for a top. I was looking at Terramar 1.0 or 2.0 baselayer tops. I backpack in Sierras in summer and Grand Canyon in spring and fall. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
Eric

Edited by schultz104 on 01/04/2014 08:58:34 MST.

William Segraves
(sbill9000) - F - M
Re: Baselayer to sleep on 01/04/2014 14:56:34 MST Print View

IMO, you have a lot of reasonable options. Which ones are best depend on desired insulation, fabric feel, odor control, drying speed, and durability (wrt laundering and/or potential daytime use).

When really lightweight will do it,my fav is silk, but Terramar silkweight or OR Echo t shirt work fine, too.

For a little more insulation, my fav is merino blend, but any good quality midweight long underwear will do. I increasingly go toward hoodies when looking for real warmth. Warmer than a shirt and a hat for the same weight and only a little less versatile.

If small differences in weight are of significant concern, let me know and I can weigh some things.

Cheers,

Bill S.

Harrison Carpenter
(carpenh) - M

Locale: St. Vrain River Valley
Re: Baselayer to sleep on 01/04/2014 16:42:56 MST Print View

I've never had a problem with Terramar's silks. What's better would depend upon your cold tolerance, as well as the night's anticipated low temperature. Just for context, I'm a "warm sleeper;" I use a silk top/bottom with Marino wool socks under a 30 degree quilt; and in the Summer, I sleep in the mountains where temperatures drop into the low-to-mid 40s at night. Always cozy.