November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Baselayer to sleep
Display Avatars Sort By:
eric schultz
(schultz104) - F

Locale: phoenix
Baselayer to sleep on 01/04/2014 08:57:32 MST Print View

I bought a 30 degree nemo quilt. I had a 15 degree bag that I slept in my underwear on the trail. I have been using the quilt and at times I get a little chilly at night. I am looking for some lightweight options for a top. I was looking at Terramar 1.0 or 2.0 baselayer tops. I backpack in Sierras in summer and Grand Canyon in spring and fall. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Edited by schultz104 on 01/04/2014 08:58:34 MST.

William Segraves
(sbill9000) - F - M
Re: Baselayer to sleep on 01/04/2014 14:56:34 MST Print View

IMO, you have a lot of reasonable options. Which ones are best depend on desired insulation, fabric feel, odor control, drying speed, and durability (wrt laundering and/or potential daytime use).

When really lightweight will do it,my fav is silk, but Terramar silkweight or OR Echo t shirt work fine, too.

For a little more insulation, my fav is merino blend, but any good quality midweight long underwear will do. I increasingly go toward hoodies when looking for real warmth. Warmer than a shirt and a hat for the same weight and only a little less versatile.

If small differences in weight are of significant concern, let me know and I can weigh some things.

Bill S.

Harrison Carpenter
(carpenh) - M

Locale: St. Vrain River Valley
Re: Baselayer to sleep on 01/04/2014 16:42:56 MST Print View

I've never had a problem with Terramar's silks. What's better would depend upon your cold tolerance, as well as the night's anticipated low temperature. Just for context, I'm a "warm sleeper;" I use a silk top/bottom with Marino wool socks under a 30 degree quilt; and in the Summer, I sleep in the mountains where temperatures drop into the low-to-mid 40s at night. Always cozy.