Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
How do I re-waterproof eVent MLD Rain Mitts ?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Seth Brewer
(Whistler) - MLife

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com
How do I re-waterproof eVent MLD Rain Mitts ? on 01/02/2014 12:35:00 MST Print View

I've got some great MLD eVent rain mitts -- anything special I should use to re-waterproof them instead of say a NikWax waterproofing ?

Thanks ahead of time for any input!

Edited by Whistler on 01/02/2014 12:35:31 MST.

Scott S
(sschloss1) - F

Locale: New England
MLD mitts on 01/02/2014 12:48:06 MST Print View

I'd love to know this, too. Despite limited use, mine have moved from waterproof to "somewhat water resistant."

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
MLD mitts on 01/02/2014 12:52:04 MST Print View

Contact MLD directly. If you seam-sealed the seams as directed and have not damaged the eVent, they should not be leaking.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: How do I re-waterproof eVent MLD Rain Mitts ? on 01/02/2014 12:52:49 MST Print View

Personally, I'd do what the eVent website recommends. http://eventfabrics.com/care/

steven franchuk
(Surf)
Re: How do I re-waterproof eVent MLD Rain Mitts ? on 01/02/2014 13:04:18 MST Print View

Nikwax is not a waterproofing treatment. It is only a water repellent finish (DWR). Even if the DWR completely failed the Event fabric will still be waterproof due to the plastic Event membrane glued to the back of the fabric. Any wash in or spray on DWR will work to restore the water repellent finish.

However if they are new and not factory seam sealed the stitches will leak. According to the MLD website they supply seam sealer with the mits. So you do need to apply it to prevent water from getting through the stitching. In most cases seam sealing only needs to be done once.

Seth Brewer
(Whistler) - MLife

Let me clarify on 01/02/2014 13:15:52 MST Print View

These mitts have been carefully seam-sealed by me, but they have also tagged along in my pack for around 4,500 miles of backpacking trips. While they show no actual signs of damage, they just don't seem to keep out the rain like they used to...could be maybe I just need to re-apply the DWR so they breath better and maybe I don't sweat them out? Or perhaps the long use has worn down the palms of the mitts and there is some actual material abrasion that I can't see..

The material no longer beads water - so as suggested by eVent website, perhaps I should try washing them in some TechWash and reapplying a DWR...

Thanks for all the input and I'll check out what MLD suggests and look at the eVent website

Edited by Whistler on 01/02/2014 13:18:24 MST.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
eVent on 01/02/2014 18:19:34 MST Print View

Is the DWR coating on the nylon failing? Or is the membrane failing? A lot of people say their garments aren't waterproof anymore because they misunderstand the difference, and thus declare their garment not waterproof when they see water soaking into the outer nylon. When the DWR fails you lose breathability, when the membrane fails you actually have water getting inside. The membrane is under the face fabric.

Edited by dandydan on 01/02/2014 18:49:19 MST.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Let me clarify on 01/02/2014 18:27:58 MST Print View

Seth,
My Integral Designs eVent jacket failed simply from abrasion while being jostled in my pack.

And The MLD mitts don't have any protective scrim on the membrane.

But, as Dan mentions, be sure to verify if it is actually leaking, or if it is not breathing. I wear very light fleece mitts inside my MLD shells, and my hands get pretty damp if the shell isn't breathing.

Andy F
(AndyF) - M

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic
Re: How do I re-waterproof eVent MLD Rain Mitts ? on 01/02/2014 18:39:25 MST Print View

I think a good wash is what the mitts need. I wash everything, including my eVent jacket (Packa) in Atsko Sport Wash and double-rinse.

http://www.atsko.com/hunting/laundry/1338.html

Seth Brewer
(Whistler) - MLife

Good idea one and all! on 01/02/2014 18:44:58 MST Print View

Thanks for all the insight - looks like I best just give them a quick wash in TechWash and then check to ensure that the fabric is still watertight. Cheers to all!

Billy Ray
(rosyfinch) - M

Locale: the mountains
Re: Good idea one and all! on 01/02/2014 20:16:05 MST Print View

"4,500 miles of backpacking trips"

They could be toast.

From the MLD Web site:
"At less than an ounce for the pair, they won�t last as long as a 6oz winter overmitt. Keep away from campfires and heat sources to prevent the eVent 2 layer membranne from delaminating. Not warranted against fabric wear out; but they have lasted many thru-hikers one full trip, your mileage may vary. Going over 3,000miles? Get two pairs..."

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=51

Billy