Inertia O Zone sleeping pad
Display Avatars Sort By:
Bill Reynolds
(billreyn1) - M

Locale: North East Georgia Mountains
Inertia O Zone sleeping pad on 01/02/2014 07:00:55 MST Print View

Anybody try one of these yet? http://www.klymit.com/index.php/products-1/sleeping-pads/inertia-o-zone.html. I have the x frame for summer use but the comfort is marginal compared to my neoair. But this one looks very interesting. For 2 more ounces they have the same model without the holes.

Edited by billreyn1 on 01/02/2014 07:44:06 MST.

Ian Schumann
(freeradical) - M

Locale: Central TX
Re: Inertia O Zone sleeping pad on 01/02/2014 08:20:07 MST Print View

Wow, that is ... a weird looking pad. Granted the whole Inertia series has been "weird looking" from the start. But somehow this one looks even more funky than what has come before it.

I'd be curious for anyone's feedback on this one, when somebody has a chance. It does seem to split the difference between the high-void X-Frame style and the more solid Static V.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Inertia O Zone on 01/02/2014 10:54:40 MST Print View

Interesting pad. I like the shape of it and 12.2oz is reasonable. Those side rails and the round holes are likely quite comfortable. The pillow is a bit of a gamble but it looks promising.

I would really like to see Klymit incorporating some sort of insulation into their pads (not counting Argon) to make them a viable 3 season option for quilt users.

O Zone Klymit

Edited by dandydan on 01/02/2014 10:55:39 MST.

McDowell Crook
(mcdcrook) - M

Locale: Southeast
O-Zone on 01/07/2014 15:32:09 MST Print View

I pre-ordered one when I heard about them, because it seemed to offer a lot of comfort for a side sleeper/toss & turner. I've used it on about 6 trips now and am very pleased with it.

One advantage it has over the X-Frame is no pump. You can inflate it easily with your mouth (or a mini pump in winter if you're worried about condensation) with just a few breaths and still get the firmness needed to sleep in shelters or hard ground. I can just about put it anywhere and sleep fine (watching for sharp rocks, of course). It is very comfortable as long as you don't happen to line up your hip on one of the holes in the pad which just happens to line up with a rock or root. I have slept soundly every time I've used it.

I also like that the pillow is attached, and that it has a centered baffle which holds your head in place. Previously I've used a flexair pillow and found my head scooting off of it at night. The only drawback is that the O-Zone pillow isn't very much higher than the mat itself, so my head isn't supported as high as I'd like. This is just a personal issue, I suppose. I just fold the pillow over onto the mat and it lifts my head up just right (although this sacrifices a few inches of pad space for my feet).

Overall, it seems to me a good compromise between the comfort of the Klymit Inertia XL and the light weight of the Klymit Intertia X-Frame (both of which I've used). It's only .2 ounces heavier than a regular-size Thermarest Neo-Air Xlite.

The weight is reasonable, it packs very small, and as a dedicated side sleeper I'd have to say it's one of the most comfortable I've used. I've taken it on a trip to the Smokies in freezing temps and it handled the cold well, or at least didn't seem any colder than my old Neo-Air Xlite.

Hope this helps.

Edited by mcdcrook on 01/07/2014 17:46:19 MST.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Klymit O Zone on 01/07/2014 17:23:16 MST Print View

How does the comfort compare to the NeoAir Xlite?

McDowell Crook
(mcdcrook) - M

Locale: Southeast
O-Zone on 01/07/2014 17:42:09 MST Print View

I personally think it's just as or more comfortable than a NeoAir Xlite. Before getting the O-Zone my pad of choice for several years was a size small Xlite, paired with a flexair pillow (or spare clothes). The O-Zone sleeps a tad bit firmer than the Xlite but it distributes your weight better, I think. And it feels more stable, less balloonish (bouncy? air mattress-y? Not sure how to describe it) than the Xlite.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

O-Zone on 01/07/2014 18:17:18 MST Print View

Thanks. I'm in the market for a pad but I'm a quilt user. I like the design of this pad from a comfort stand point, but I don't see a practical way of keeping myself warm on cold ground short of carrying a second CCF pad.

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
Inertia O Zone sleeping pad on 01/07/2014 19:19:42 MST Print View

I might mention that I had durability issues with their pads.
They are made of a very thin fragile material.

My Inertia X Wave popped the first time I laid on it and it was not over-inflated.
It ripped out a whole panel to the point that it would be difficult to repair with a repair kit in the field.

I went back to a Neoair Trekker torso L because I know it holds up well(but weighs 4.5 ounces more).

From my experience, a Neoair would not fail like that and would probably only develop a smaller hole that could be easily repaired if punctured.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

O Zone on 01/07/2014 20:54:01 MST Print View

Was it the seam or the fabric itself? I believe Klymit is using 30D fabric on the top and 70D on the bottom, which should be more durable than the NeoAir Xlite (30D both sides as I recall) and a bit less than the trekker (70D both sides I think).

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Re: Inertia O Zone on 01/07/2014 21:51:25 MST Print View

I posted some photos of a T&E prototype on my facebook page awhile back. Worth checking out.

I found, as a side sleeper, the Inertia O Zone just did not work out for me. Kept bottoming out. But, for a back sleeper, I think it could be pretty dang sweet!

Valerie E
(Wildtowner) - M

Locale: Grand Canyon State
Durability of Inertia Pads on 01/15/2014 16:30:10 MST Print View

I camp mostly in the desert (lots of prickly things), and I have a Static V by Inertia. I've used it for a few years with no problems. The two things I like about their pads are:

1. The higher side rails -- they REALLY work to keep the body on the pad, even for a rotisserie sleeper like me; and
2. The quieter material (MUCH more so than either Exped or Xlite).

My only issue is R Factor -- when I'm going somewhere colder, the Static V is not good. Last summer in the High Sierras, I could feel the cold rising up right through the pad, even with a 15F sleeping bag.