Forum Index » Gear Swap » Consider shipping to Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico

Display Avatars Sort By:
Buck Nelson
(Colter) - MLife

Locale: Alaska
Consider shipping to Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico on 01/01/2014 15:00:20 MST Print View

I often see people say they will ship "to CONUS only." Consider the following for more potential buyers:

1) Does it cost more to ship to Alaska/Hawaii/Puerto Rico?

The answer is a qualified "no". IF you are using USPS and IF you don't live in certain central parts of the US, the cost is no different than shipping to the opposite side of the country. If you live in Pennsylvania it is zone 8 to California and also zone 8 to Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico (and Guam, US Virgin Islands, and other US territories.) The Priority mail cost is the same.

If you are using UPS or FedEx the cost may be substantially higher to ship outside the contiguous US. Those carriers do now offer ground service to Alaska and Hawaii, but it does cost more. USPS is recommended as an alternative for those locations as the rate is much more reasonable.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Packaging-Shipping/Answers-to-Questions-about-Shipping-Rates-to-Alaska-Hawaii/td-p/839090

Dena Kelley
(EagleRiverDee) - M

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska
"Consider shipping to Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico" on 01/01/2014 15:41:03 MST Print View

I second this. I see "CONUS only" and just scroll on by, no matter how interested in the item I am. That whole "if it fits, it ships" thing with the USPS and their flat rate boxes is the same price no matter where in the US you are shipping, including Alaska and Hawaii. Non flat rate and parcel post are also cheap. Alaskans are, almost by nature, an outdoorsy group and a good target customer for outdoors goods. It'd be awesome if people stopped snubbing us in their ads.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Consider shipping to Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico on 01/01/2014 15:54:17 MST Print View

Interesting, and appreciated thread.

I admit to ignorance on my part about this. I have done "ConUS" out of habit because of something (yes "something" - I couldn't tell you what for the life of me)I heard years ago about difficulty &/or cost.

Will keep all this in mind for next listing.

Edward Jursek
(nedjursek@gmail.com)

Locale: Pacific Northwest
shipping to Alaska and Hawaii on 01/01/2014 15:57:32 MST Print View

Excellent information. I blindly assumed shipping to AK, HI and PR would be more expensive. I ship with USPS and I will include this expanded area in my "CONUS" price the next time I am selling gear. I will call it "CONUS Plus" and include AK,HI, and PR in the price. Thanks!

Robert Perkins
(rp3957)

Locale: The Sierras
Consider shipping to Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico on 01/01/2014 16:11:33 MST Print View

I think it would simple to change 'shipped to the CONUS' to 'will ship with USPS only'. I have looked into shipping a sleeping bag to South America recently, and it is expensive and made the cost of selling to that person cost prohibitive. I don't think anyone is intentionally slighting anyone from Alaska, Hawaii, or PR, so I wouldn't let that keep me from buying anything, even if I lived in one of those locations. It would be easy with a PM to the seller to tell them the cost is the same as shipping in the CONUS, and you aren't leaving yourself out of possibly scoring some good deals.

Martin Van Laarhoven
(vtrek)

Locale: NorthEast
hmnmm on 01/01/2014 16:27:13 MST Print View

Okay so as I was reading here I was sure you were wrong. Maybe from out west it is the same but i was sure it would be different here in the north east. I just went onto the USPS site and compared shipping to Beverly Hills California and to Anchorage Alaska and it was exactly the same. I now know the truth and will reflect such in any future listings I have.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Consider shipping to Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico on 01/01/2014 16:59:30 MST Print View

+1 on Buck's and Dena's thoughts.

USPS is the same (or in a few rare cases very close to 48-state rates). We are over-represented (population-wise) in Congress, had lots of seniority in the Senate for years and still do in the House. Your federal tax dollars at work.

The assumption that shipping is much more expense can arise from all the vendors that offer "Free Shipping" but exclude AK, HI, PR, VI, etc. because they ship UPS. There is no surface option with UPS. Sometimes a $20 item has $35 of shipping because 2nd-day Air is only UPS option and "We only ship UPS" What?!? there's not a Post Office in your town? The mail carrier doesn't come to your business 5 days a week?!? Your business sends its letters by UPS?!? TGFA (Thank God for Amazon) in such situations.

As Dena noted, we are pretty outdoorsy. We're also used to doing mail order. And we have fewer retail options. And, on average, Alaskans are more honest than people in other states. WTF, you say? Well, how long do YOU leave your car or house empty and unlocked?

J R
(JRinGeorgia) - F
CONUSOAETSATSR on 01/01/2014 18:12:42 MST Print View

I agree this is good to know, most people probably believe the truth is different. Posters who say they include shipping CONUS are trying to limit their exposure to shipping costs and international bamboozlers, I'm sure if someone outside that area was interested in the item and could easily show that the shipping rate is the same then the seller would gladly oblige.

Maybe we need CONUSOAETSATSR (CONUS Or Anywhere Else That Ships At The Same Rate). Then again maybe not...

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: CONUSOAETSATSR on 01/01/2014 18:20:34 MST Print View

>"Maybe we need CONUSOAETSATSR (CONUS Or Anywhere Else That Ships At The Same Rate). Then again maybe not..."

Or "USA only" or "Domestic shipping cost included", depending on the seller's intent.

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
Consider shipping to Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico on 01/01/2014 18:37:36 MST Print View

When I put something up for sell and shipping is included, I just put "if shipped to CONUS". Does not mean I won't ship elsewhere. Good to know though that USPS is the same for AK, HI. My last item was shipped to France. Customs forms were easy.
Duane

Dena Kelley
(EagleRiverDee) - M

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska
"Consider shipping to Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico" on 01/01/2014 19:33:37 MST Print View

I don't discount sellers that put "free if shipping CONUS"- I feel they can be worked with. I discount the ones that say "CONUS only" because I'm not going to argue with someone who seems bent on only selling to the L48 and it's exhausting to try and educate people one thread (or PM) at a time. Now a mass thread like this, I'll join in, because it benefits all of us if people understand that shipping to Alaska/Hawaii (and I guess, Puerto Rico too) is the same price if shipped USPS. I didn't know about Puerto Rico, so I got educated here too.

doug thomas
(sparky52804) - MLife

Locale: Eastern Iowa
Re: "Consider shipping to Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico" on 01/01/2014 19:47:43 MST Print View

Is there actually something for sale here, or should this thread be somewhere else

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
Consider shipping to Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico on 01/01/2014 20:12:45 MST Print View

Nothing for sale, still belongs here.
Duane

Ken Hawkins
(Mushroom_Mouse) - M

Locale: Shenandoah Valley, VA - USA
Consider Shipping to Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico on 01/01/2014 20:56:44 MST Print View

+1 to the OP. The USPS rates for a 1 pound package from Lexington, VA (22450)are as follows:

Seattle, WA $6.85
Anchorage, AK 6.85
Honolulu, HI 6.85
San Juan PR 6.35

Looks like we're missing out on potential buyers by limiting our FS posts to CONUS only.

And E
(LunchANDYnner) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Same Shipping on 01/01/2014 21:43:10 MST Print View

To kick things off, I've updated/posted a couple FS stuff on Gear Swap reflecting this!

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=85924

and

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=85804&skip_to_post=732372#732372

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Consider shipping to Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico on 01/01/2014 22:17:59 MST Print View

Thank you Buck for the info, i've always assumed it cost more to ship to those places, plus sad to say i think i was also going along with the group trend.

I will start saying, free shipping via USPS to US plus PR (though there are some pretty strong/convincing arguments for Hawaii not legally being part of the U.S. but their own sovereign nation).

I've always figured that if someone from outside the continental US really wanted something, they would pay any extra shipping fees, but good to know that there is no need for that to begin with.