Forum Index » Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Sarbar's new e-book and substitutions

Display Avatars Sort By:
Diane Pinkers
(dipink) - M

Locale: Western Washington
Sarbar's new e-book and substitutions on 12/30/2013 13:29:46 MST Print View

I just purchased Sarbar's new Trail Cooking: Trail Food Made Gourmet--looks like some good stuff in there! So many choices, and several of her mixes for seasoning, too.

Sarah, I was wondering--for a gluten-free substitution for couscous and bulgur in your salad recipes, could instant grits work? And, how are polenta and instant grits different? Would I need to change the water? What about Quinoa? Should Quinoa be cooked then dehydrated first?

Thanks! Lunches have been a bugger without being able to eat tortillas (gluten-free tortillas do *not* hold up well to travel), so the salads look like a solid substitute.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Sarbar's new e-book and substitutions on 12/30/2013 20:54:55 MST Print View

Thank you Diane! :-)

Methinks you just gave me a blog post idea too! So yes, I cook and dry quinoa at home - then you can use it for the bulgur or couscous - once cooked and dried it is instant :-) My youngest son is GF, so yeah, things have really changed for us!

Polenta and instant grits (think Quaker brand) are similar but the instant grits only need boiling water and no cooking time, where as "quick cooking" polenta usually needs a minute boil. So I use the grits. I get the plain version usually.

Kathleen B
(rosierabbit) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Sarah's new e-book on 12/30/2013 23:01:55 MST Print View

Just bought mine. Thanks for the heads-up!

I would suggest the food prepared from her cookbooks isn't just for tents but is also excellent for eating inside buildings, too, such as at home or work. They're a nice addition to every day eating ideas. Her cran-bar recipe posted here on BPL a number of years ago is still a staple at my house.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Sarah's new e-book on 12/31/2013 09:11:43 MST Print View

Just downloaded the book from Amazon and look forward to reading through it for ideas over the holiday.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Sarah's new e-book on 12/31/2013 14:35:03 MST Print View

Thanks everyone!

And I actually released TWO books this past week :-) Trail Eats, which is 50 recipes, and Trail Cooking, the 275+ recipe book.

Up next...I go wrangle FBC Volume 2 into submission :-P

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Sarah's new e-book on 12/31/2013 17:00:56 MST Print View

"And I actually released TWO books this past week :-) Trail Eats, which is 50 recipes, and Trail Cooking, the 275+ recipe book."

I bought the Trail Cooking one with 275 recipes. Are the 50 Trail Eats recipes covered in Trail Cooking?

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Sarah's new e-book on 12/31/2013 17:47:24 MST Print View

Ian, Trail Eats is a compilation of our magazine column we wrote/shot between 2009 and summer of 2013 :)

Most of those I have made public over the years (although have since come down off the website). Wanted a fun way to put them all together :-)

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Sarah's new e-book on 12/31/2013 17:57:04 MST Print View

Thanks Sarah. I have relatively new dehydrator waiting to be used and now have your book on Kindle. Looks like I have something to do instead of sitting on the couch complaining about how sick I am (much to my wife's relief).

Edit: Maybe cliche but nothing's worse than a man cold.

Edited by IDBLOOM on 12/31/2013 17:57:43 MST.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Sarah's new e-book on 12/31/2013 18:06:11 MST Print View

Lol!!

Get well!! With a brimming bowl of piping hot chicken soup! Or chickpea soup ;-)