Forum Index » Gear Swap » WTB: ti lid for Snow Peak 600---- a lid that fits!

Display Avatars Sort By:
D S
(onthecouchagain) - MLife

Locale: Sunny SoCal
WTB: ti lid for Snow Peak 600---- a lid that fits! on 12/29/2013 21:17:12 MST Print View

Tried a few and have not found one that fits well yet.

Couch

E J
(mountainwalker) - MLife

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England
MYOG with Ti foil on 12/29/2013 21:37:53 MST Print View

You can make a very lightweight and functional lid with Ti foil - you can order some from Ti goat. Use aluminum heat tape in the center in place of a knob.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: WTB: ti lid for Snow Peak 600---- a lid that fits! on 12/29/2013 21:54:33 MST Print View

It would take me about one minute to cut one out of titanium foil, if only there was a precise dimension.

It is similarly quick to cut one out of carbon fiber sheet, and it is probably lighter.

--B.G.--

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: WTB: ti lid for Snow Peak 600---- a lid that fits! on 12/29/2013 22:12:13 MST Print View

Probably not as light as what Bob is suggesting but Four Dog Stove makes a titanium lid which will fit your mug.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: WTB: ti lid for Snow Peak 600---- a lid that fits! on 12/29/2013 22:17:38 MST Print View

I can't imagine why anybody would want a wooden knob on the top of a metal pot lid. It would certainly keep it from packing tightly, and it would likely get broken off after a while.

I've used an inch of silicone string, curled to make an open loop and then epoxied onto the top. It is lighter and collapses to be virtually flat for packing.

--B.G.--

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: WTB: ti lid for Snow Peak 600---- a lid that fits! on 12/29/2013 22:20:55 MST Print View

That wouldn't be my first preference either. I've made a couple lids out of aluminum and just use a tab of aluminum tape instead of a nob.

D S

Nice on 12/29/2013 22:58:05 MST Print View

I am liking the ti foil idea a/ loop lid... Where can said foil be had?

D

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Nice on 12/29/2013 23:00:37 MST Print View

It's standard 0.005" thick titanium foil, practically any grade.

You can bend it with your fingers, yet it will snap back flat.

--B.G.--

D S

Hey Bob on 12/29/2013 23:04:04 MST Print View

Do you know of a retailer for a small quantity... Say enough for two lids ( one prototype and one actual)?

D

OK saw that EJ posted titanium goat sells it...

Edited by onthecouchagain on 12/29/2013 23:07:53 MST.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Hey Bob on 12/29/2013 23:18:12 MST Print View

I think that Titanium Goat is the convenient place to buy small quantities. Before you place your order, you might think about other purposes. That might affect the amount that you order. For example, a titanium windscreen or heat reflector, wood burning stove pieces.

Titanium makes the best sense in places where you need the heat resistance. If you don't need the heat resistance, then often aluminum will be perfectly adequate and lighter to boot.

--B.G.--

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Hey Dave on 12/30/2013 07:44:49 MST Print View

Dave, I have a ti foil lid that I made for a SP 600 pot that I can send you. Here's a photo:

Ti foil lid for SP 600

The handle is an "omega" of .062" ti rod, with a silicone tube covering. You can remove this handle simply by bending the rod on the underside.

Underside of ti lid

I'll mail it to you, and I'll also include a couple pieces of scrap titanium foil so that you can make one you like better. If you gift me $5 to cover mailing costs, it's all yours. If this interests you, send me a PM and we will work out the details.

Edit--the lid weighs 6 grams

Edited by Zia-Grill-Guy on 12/30/2013 08:10:17 MST.

D S

Thanks Gary! on 12/30/2013 10:07:14 MST Print View

+1 Awesomeness....will do!

Couch

problem....solved.