Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
IMUSA mug, hot handle, heat shield tape
Display Avatars Sort By:
Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
IMUSA mug, hot handle, heat shield tape on 12/29/2013 02:51:46 MST Print View

My MSR Ti Kettle pot handle doesn't stay hot for long, it cools off quickly, while the liquids stay hot. Great. But the IMUSA Aluminum mug has a wide flat handle, and it retains heat, even 'feels' hotter than the liquids. I had some automotive heat shield tape, and taped the handle as well as the part of the mug that touches my knuckles.

Problem solved.

heat shield tape.jpg

heat shield tape on IMUSA mug.jpg

PS: the IMUSA mug doesn't come with a lid, that's the MSR Ti Kettle lid in the photo on the IMUSA mug. :)

PPS: That's the JOGR $8 stove.

Edited by RogerDodger on 12/29/2013 02:55:57 MST.

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio
Ex! on 12/29/2013 10:03:40 MST Print View

Excellent! I was wondering how to solve this problem! Now to the auto store!

Did you actually see 'more horsepower' as promised?

I think the mod will make the mug more difficult to clean tho.

I can recommend the Zelph lids for the Imusas. Because of a small downward lip they almost cling to the mug so aren't inclined to blow off. And oh so lite.

Edited by Bolster on 12/29/2013 10:06:45 MST.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: IMUSA mug, hot handle, heat shield tape on 12/29/2013 10:54:18 MST Print View

So I'm curious, do you have an idea how soon after pouring the boiling water you might be able to grab hold of a handle-less pot (if you aren't G. Gordon Liddy that is) done this way instead of just touching your knuckle to it? Guess it might end up actually being heavy if you use a lot of it - like for a "cozy" effect.

So from the picture you are implying it is up to actually being on the stove itself provided the pot is filler. Is that correct?

Thanks, never heard of this stuff before.

Edited by millonas on 12/29/2013 10:58:14 MST.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: IMUSA mug, hot handle, heat shield tape on 12/29/2013 11:09:06 MST Print View

Is there some thickness to this? If there's some air space inside it will do something.

If it's just reflective material, and you're putting it on the already reflective pot, it won't do anything.

It says it's for hoses and wires. They are not reflective, so putting it on them will do something. And an engine is much hotter so there will be more radiative heat transfer.

At least that's my theory, but if the experimental data is inconsistent then there's a problem with the theory : )

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Re: Re: Re: IMUSA mug, hot handle, heat shield tape on 12/29/2013 11:25:39 MST Print View

Hence my question about how hot it is to the touch! Does it insulate enough thermally to use it as a "grip" (I'm guessing not). I'm guessing it just takes the edge off enough to accidentally touch it without yowling in pain and spilling the rest in you lap. If it ddi a good enough job at thermally insulating things they it would still be a cozy, but I'm guessing it may be too thin. On the other hand 3 mm neoprene does work, but I think harder to work with. Wonder it there is some neoprene with one-sided tape. LOL That would be th bomb for us DIY handicapped people.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Heat shield tape on 12/29/2013 11:32:50 MST Print View

"Does it insulate enough thermally to use it as a grip?"

+1. I'm interested in this question as well.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Locale: www.bplite.com
Nothing adhered or wrapped works on 12/29/2013 14:34:06 MST Print View

Anything that you adhere to the handle and then heat it up with your stove is going to be too hot to remove with bare hands. As we all know, heat rising up the side of your pot will heat the handles.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Nothing adhered or wrapped works on 12/29/2013 15:04:18 MST Print View

"heat rising up the side of your pot will heat the handles"

hmmm... if you could put a heat deflector just below the handle to deflect the heat sideways?

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Re: Nothing adhered or wrapped works on 12/29/2013 15:10:32 MST Print View

@dan Y. No, in this scenario there is no heat rising up the side of the cup, just boiling water poured in - or else stove turned off by coffee still hot.

Even in the external heat scenario, which is not really the case I think we were referring to, it is the specific heat, not just the heat itself, which determines the heat transfer/comfort to your fingers. So for example, Styrofoam (assuming it would not melt already under those conditions) would feel less hot than metal at the same temperature (over the short term).

Another example is why you don't lick a metal bar when it is freezing outside. So it IS a legitimate question. Now who shall we get to test it out. "Hey mikey, go pick up that mug."

Edited by millonas on 12/29/2013 15:15:53 MST.

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Bike Tape? on 12/29/2013 16:27:26 MST Print View

> Wonder it there is some neoprene with one-sided tape.

What about the tape used to wrap bicycle handlebars.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Bike Tape? on 12/29/2013 16:47:24 MST Print View

Bar tape is usually made of foam so it would probably melt. some used to be made of cork but i'm not sure if anyone uses real cork anymore.

both will melt/burn if it is left on while it is over the stove

D S
(smoke) - F
Tape?? on 12/29/2013 16:51:09 MST Print View

Interested in the OP's Tape. Wonder if it would be about the same as the fiberglass wick wrap that some use on Pots and Stoves. I'd like to know specifics of source/cost, etc.

b willi jones
(mrjones) - F

Locale: best place in the world !?
Re: IMUSA mug, hot handle, heat shield tape on 12/29/2013 17:02:05 MST Print View

wow, i like it, looks like something from Buck Rogers tv show back in the day. i dont have this particular pot, but am i the only one that uses a bandana/rag to lift a hot pot. am i old skool? maybe i need to keep up with the technology

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Re: IMUSA mug, hot handle, heat shield tape (reply to Delmar O'Donnell) on 12/29/2013 23:16:57 MST Print View

@Delmar O'Donnell
> I think the mod will make the mug more difficult to clean tho.

I thought it would be tough to clean, but was manageable.
I tried Miso soup dehydrated packet, and Nestle cocoa mix (separately)

I hand rinsed the mug at regular temperature and set it to dry. The tape didn't come off. Though after applying the tape to the mug handle, I did press it in to make sure the air pockets are out and I have a tight seal.

I wouldn't recommend a dishwasher.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Re: Re: IMUSA mug, hot handle, heat shield tape (Reply to Mark Millonas) on 12/29/2013 23:27:35 MST Print View

@Mark Millonas:
>do you have an idea how soon after pouring the boiling water you might be able to grab >hold of a handle-less pot

I poured cold water into the IMUSA pot mug, then put the full mug on the JOGR stove. The water boiled while in the IMUSA pot mug. The wrapped area was cool to the touch immediately.

re-edit: Mark, if you are thinking of fully wrapping a pot without a handle, essentially making a permanent taped cozy, then it will take a lot of tape depends on the size of the pot. In my case I'll use the IMUSA 4.5 inch diameter has a 14 inch circumference. and the mug is about 4 inches tall, you are looking at 40+ inches of tape. That will register on the scale. I would prefer a removable cozy. If going in that direction, you can of course still get the 1.5 inch wide tape, but you can also look into buying a larger sheet... with the extra make yourself a fireman suit :)

Then again, just because I can handle the pot doesn't make the boiling water easy on the lips or tongue. So I used a spoon to blow on the soup to cool off before drinking.

The weight of the heat shield tape strip didn't register on the food scale. I barely used 1 inch x 2 inch for the knuckle protection, and 1 inch x 4 inch for the handle wrap.

Because the heat shield foil is corrugated/ribbed it adds a slight air pocket of 1/32 or 1/16 of an inch.

IMUSA mug heat shield

IMUSA mug heat shield

IMUSA mug heat shield

IMUSA mug heat shield

Edited by RogerDodger on 12/30/2013 01:07:35 MST.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Re: Re: Re: IMUSA mug, hot handle, heat shield tape (Reply to Jerry Adams) on 12/29/2013 23:39:03 MST Print View

@Jerry Adams,
>Is there some thickness to this? If there's some air space inside it will do something.

The heat shield foil is corrugated/ribbed it adds a slight air pocket of 1/32 or 1/16 of an inch.

This foil wrap is a lousy conductor of heat. I wrapped the car's fuel line that is near the hot engine block, I could touch the wrapped fuel line without burning my fingers.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: IMUSA mug, hot handle, heat shield tape (Reply to Jerry Adams) on 12/29/2013 23:43:55 MST Print View

1/32 or 1/16th inch air space would do something. Also there's adhesive that would help.

My theory is somewhat intact : )

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Re: Heat shield tape (Reply to Dan Durston) on 12/29/2013 23:51:09 MST Print View

@Dan Durston
>"Does it insulate enough thermally to use it as a grip?"

Yes.

I tried it on the smallest burner on the kitchen stove top, and it was OK to the touch and grip. Granted I had the smallest burner on the medium setting, and to be biased, I moved the mug slightly off center.

I also tried it on an iso/pro bp stove burner. The JOGR stove burner on low setting as I usually conserve fuel in that mode. The burner top is small the diameter size of 25 cents coin ~ 1 inch (?) , while the IMUSA mug is 4.5 inch diameter, so I noticed three factors that made the handle hot originally before the tape:

1) The heat from the flames below would occasionally kiss the handle and heat it up.

2) The handle is connected to the pot, so heat traveled from the pot to the handle.

3) the boiling water getting hot in the pot also radiated heat to the handle.

the foil wrapped handle made it easy to firmly grab the pot off the stove, without concern of dropping hot water on myself.

Please note that its misleading a bit, because the handle is cool to the touch, the liquids are still boiling hot to the lips and tongue.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Re: Nothing adhered or wrapped works (Reply to Dan Yeruski) on 12/30/2013 00:04:26 MST Print View

@Dan Yeruski
>Anything that you adhere to the handle and then heat it up with your stove is going to be too hot to remove with bare hands.

I had OK success with this foil shield wrap.
The combination of stove burner on low/medium setting, and the burner head being small and the mug diameter being big much wider, also helped.

I was able to firmly grab the handle without burning my finger tips, then I burned the top of my knuckles on contact with the mug exterior wall... So I added the knuckle protection strip to the mug :)

So far its working fine for me, I'm gentle with my gear, I'm sure if you put it through a torture test and drag it on a dirt road behind a truck, or throw it inside a bonfire then the wrap shield will fail.

Edited by RogerDodger on 12/30/2013 00:51:42 MST.

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Still impressed. on 12/30/2013 00:05:17 MST Print View

It's an elegant fix.

The way I've been contemplating: you'd drill the rivets, pull the handle, insert a nonconducting spacer between handle and mug, and re-rivet.

But I have a reputation for finding the most difficult way to fix something, and my fix doesn't solve the problem where the handle is actually exposed to flame. Roger's does.

I saw someone else here on BPL who wrapped the handle in some sort of carbon fiber mesh.

All a bit academic for me. My mouth burns very easily. So when I can touch the mug, I know it's likely cool enough I can drink it. I'd probably get MORE mouth burns with an insulated wrap on the handle.

Edited by Bolster on 12/30/2013 00:06:50 MST.