Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Hammock stand
Display Avatars Sort By:
Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Hammock stand on 12/28/2013 19:21:36 MST Print View

Generally, I don't make stuff. I'm just not very good at it, largely because I have very little patience, which always leads to mistakes. But I found this really easy hammock stand plan on the net (thanks to somebody's recent post, can't remember who or in what thread), made a quick trip to Home Depot and spent yesterday afternoon cutting and drilling and putting the thing together. Only had to make three separate trips to the Depot too! Total cost (not including the new drill bit) was around $39.

I've already got my Traveller set up in it, gonna test it out tonight! Along with my EE 30 degree quilt, and my Hammock Gear 20 degree incubator under quilt. Supposed to drop into the high 30s tonight, so not much of a test, but it's all I got!

A couple of pics, one of the 'bare' stand, and one with my hammock attached.

hammock stand

hammock stand

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Hammock stand on 12/28/2013 20:37:12 MST Print View

Nice job Doug! Always fun to try out gear in the backyard. Do you have internet out there?

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Hammock stand on 12/28/2013 20:42:04 MST Print View

Thanks Kat. I do have internet out there, but don't plan on using it. Heading to bed in a few and just plan on sleeping til morning! It's my first night in the Traveller as well, I've only used a Blackbird before.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Hammock stand on 12/28/2013 21:07:30 MST Print View

Good looking stand Doug. I need to get back on that project here. Only have one tree. I found I travel too far in a Traveler. Kept waking up with my legs out in the cold air, over the edge of the hammock.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Hammock stand on 12/28/2013 21:26:43 MST Print View

"I found I travel too far in a Traveler. Kept waking up with my legs out in the cold air, over the edge of the hammock."

I'm a little worried about that myself from the few moments I laid in it to check the setup. I might get someone to sew a couple of tabs on the side so I can run some cord over the ridge line to keep the sides of the hammock up.

Edit: BTW, this is the stand plan I used: http://www.dream-hammock.com/photos/Misc/Stand/PHSplans.pdf

Edited by idester on 12/28/2013 21:31:39 MST.

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
Re: Re: Hammock stand on 12/28/2013 23:14:35 MST Print View

Hey Doug,

Nice job, that's the same stand I built.

My only draw back was it's limitation on hammock lenghts, my longer MYOG hammocks don't really work well since they tend to be longer than the average hammock, it works great for the hammock I made for my wife, I just need to make a longer version for my hammocks.

Don't get me wrong I can still use this stand on my hammocks, but I have to hang the hammock up so high on the eye lets that it's hard for me to get inside, I almost need a ladder. LOL

Jack

Edited by jumpbackjack on 12/28/2013 23:15:55 MST.

Marc Eldridge
(meld) - MLife

Locale: The here and now.
Re: "Hammock stand" on 12/29/2013 08:29:46 MST Print View

How is the stability perpendicular to the hang? Sometimes I like to swing a little.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: "Hammock stand" on 12/29/2013 08:55:05 MST Print View

Don't know, don't swing, but I don't think it would be an issue unless you were really swinging hard from side to side.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Hammock stand on 12/29/2013 10:28:35 MST Print View

Great job, Doug!

And good for you on tackling the myog stand.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Hammock stand on 12/29/2013 11:02:13 MST Print View

Well done!

I bypassed making a hammock stand by sinking two treated 4x6 posts in the back yard. Surprisingly, you don't want anything smaller than a 4x6.

I landscaped the back yard last summer and worked a level 12'x12' patch of grass into the design, so I have a place to experiment with shelters and my hammock poles span that area. A small folding table can be set next to my hammock for a cold drink and I have wifi access so I can watch Netflix in my phone, or surf BPL of course.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
How was it? on 12/29/2013 12:07:00 MST Print View

The stand, the Traveller, your quilts etc?

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: How was it? on 12/29/2013 17:41:00 MST Print View

Stand worked great - meaning it didn't break! :-)

It was really too warm to give the quilts any kind of real test, but I was toasty top and bottom. Even had to vent a bit as I got too warm (it barely got below 40). I was wearing my Paty Cap4 EW tops and bottoms, a fleece hat (which I pretty much took off), and a pair of possum down socks. No gloves.

Traveller was okay, but I think I prefer the Blackbird. I didn't slip out of it like Ken (of course I rarely move much when I'm in a hammock), but I like the feel of the Blackbird better.

Slept very well though, as I always do in a hammock. Pup woke me up at 4, so I got up and went inside, taking down the tarp and hammock and bringing everything but the stand in. Started raining around 5-6, and didn't stop til about an hour ago, so glad I brought everything in when I did.

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Locale: Oregon
Nice! on 12/29/2013 22:42:27 MST Print View

Good job on the stand, Doug! As for the cold feet issue, try adding a "Knotty" mod on your hammock, both sides. It makes a cheap, easy foot box that will keep your top quilt in the hammock, as well as your feet.

Directions:
https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40959

Matt

knotty mod

Edited by bigfoot2 on 12/29/2013 22:43:02 MST.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Locale: www.bplite.com
Colder weather on the way on 01/02/2014 18:25:20 MST Print View

Stand looks sturdy and nice. great job on the build.

Now this is extreme:-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTuGJgka1qc

Edited by zelph on 01/02/2014 18:26:48 MST.