Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » "Rain Fly" for Hex3 & other pryramids

Display Avatars Sort By:
Michael Davis
(mad777) - F

Locale: South Florida
"Rain Fly" for Hex3 & other pryramids on 07/12/2007 19:38:56 MDT Print View

Let me say from the start that I love pryramid (tee-pee) style tents. The major advantages are 1. Lightweight, 2. Large space & 3. Handle wind & snow very well.

As with all things, there are disadvantages; No vestibule for storage or to protect the interior from rain during entry & exit. IMHO, storage is not an issue due to the large space inside the tent. However, the pryramid design of the sloping doorway leaves the interior vulnerable to flash floods when entering or leaving during rainstorms.

I have come up with a solution that works in all but blowing storms. It has the three characteristics that I like; it's lightweight, it's cheap & it's easy. It does require the use of two trekking poles. (Not a problem for me, as my wife & I both use them anyway, one pair locked together for the main tent pole and the other pair for the "fly.")

I simply ordered 2 linear yards by 60" wide, sylnylon (1.1 oz.) and cut it into a triangle, 72" at the base & 60" high (measured perpendicular to the base. I hemmed the edges, reinforced the corners with a little leftover sylnylon and, sewed a couple of inches of crossgrain loop at each corner.

I then attach one corner to the loop at the top of the tent with a lightweight carabiner & attach the other 2 corners to trekking poles that each have a guyline & stake. I position the 2 poles to make a nearly equal sided triangle with the top of the tent, thereby providing a roof covering the doorway.

Setting the poles to their maximum length, allows plenty of room to duck under my triangular "fly" to enter the tent. You don't need to pull the guylines too tight as this would pull the top of the tent sideways.

The "fly" + 2 ti stakes & guylines all weigh 3 oz total. Since it is not a permanent modification, it can be left at home on sunny weekends. One word of caution, don't deploy it in blustery winds; (they don't call it a "fly" for nothing)! Nor do you want to use it in any significant snowfall.

Brett .
(Brett1234) - F

Locale: CA
Michael, diagram please? on 07/12/2007 19:55:38 MDT Print View

Michael, I think I understand. Im researcing a floorless pyramid and I would appreciate seeing a picture or diagram of your vestibule. I also need to make something to replace the poor vestibule on my HiLight.
If you don't have one, no worries; thanks for mentioning your solution.

Michael Davis
(mad777) - F

Locale: South Florida
Re: "Rain Fly" for Hex3 & other pyramids on 07/13/2007 04:29:39 MDT Print View

Brett,

Here is a sketch of my Hex3 shown with the "Fly" (actually the word "awning" is more appropriate). The door to the tent is shown open. I did not show the staked guylines coming down from the trekking poles.

Test 123

James McCanless
(powert) - F
This would be a perfect addition. on 07/23/2007 09:10:02 MDT Print View

I have been thinking about this for my Hex3. I ride a motorcycle so size is more of an issue than weight.

Mike Clelland
(mikeclelland) - MLife

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)
"Rain Fly" for Hex3 on 07/23/2007 10:11:19 MDT Print View

vestabule ideaHere's another idea...

/Users/mikeclelland/Desktop/vestabule idea.jpg

Edited by mikeclelland on 07/23/2007 10:12:30 MDT.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: "Rain Fly" for Hex3 on 07/23/2007 11:31:46 MDT Print View

I've always wondered what is the minimum angle needed on a four season shelter to prevent snow load from pulling the tent down. It would be especially important in a pyramid tent being held up by a single pole.