Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Waterproof Breathable Fabric

Display Avatars Sort By:
Sam G
(Sarugo)
Waterproof Breathable Fabric on 12/27/2013 10:26:31 MST Print View

Hello Everyone,

I'm thinking of trying to make a rain shell and I've got some questions.

I've always heard that eVent and Goretex don't sell their membrane for MYOG purposes, but I see that OWF has both for sale at a reasonable price. Anyone tried these? How do they perform, are they the real deal? Is the 3-layer stuff they sell in silver-grey and tan Pro shell(xcr) or their original heavier stuff?

Any other recommended 3-layer WPB membranes?

I'll be using this as a climbing jacket so durability is a priority over weight.

Thanks,
Sam

Edited by Sarugo on 12/28/2013 20:15:32 MST.

steven franchuk
(Surf) - M
Re: Waterproof Breathable Fabric on 12/28/2013 14:39:18 MST Print View

From time to time people do post about their project with Event fabric. Someone does sell Event it but I don't know who.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: Waterproof Breathable Fabric on 12/28/2013 14:46:42 MST Print View

http://www.owfinc.com/fabrics.html sells eVent

I think maybe the manufacturer restricted such sales previously but now they allow it

probably other people sell it

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Re: Re: Waterproof Breathable Fabric on 12/28/2013 20:44:43 MST Print View

I think General Electric licensed it (eVent technology) out so that multiple companies could use and sell the fabric and even re name/brand it.

Not so with Gore Tex--it has to keep the name and they are very strict about who gets it, and the specifications it has to meet--especially when sold as a pre made garment.

Long time ago, i made a bivy with a bottom of Polartec Power shield fabric and top of mesh.

The idea was that in good and warm weather, the powershield went on bottom and mesh on top, and in rainy, stormy weather or cold weather it reversed. Since i always use a ground cover and some kind of pad (usually inflatable), wasn't worried about getting wet on the bottom.

It was a good idea, but the fabric is too heavy. Was before my BPL and UL days.

Vick Hines
(vickrhines) - F

Locale: Central Texas
Re: Waterproof Breathable Fabric on 12/29/2013 09:51:39 MST Print View

Sam,
Seattlefabrics.com has 3 wp/b choices, a goretex knockoff, Ultrex (microporus polyurethane) and a softshell that combines fleece Polartec with nylon exterior and a microporous membrane.