Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Juicer + Dehydrator
Display Avatars Sort By:
Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio
Juicer + Dehydrator on 12/26/2013 10:00:58 MST Print View

Santa delivered a fine juicer for Christmas. My first thought was, of course, how this could increase nutrition while backpacking--but, don't want to carry heavy liquids of course.

But I do own a dehydrator. Hmm. Hmm.

You can probably see where I'm headed with this ... has anyone used this combination to make high value, lightweight trail nutrition?

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Juicer + Dehydrator on 01/03/2014 21:38:40 MST Print View

It would be very energy and time intensive to dehydrate juice with a regular dehydrator. You really would want a freeze dry set up for that.

Unless you had such an expensive set up to begin with, it would probably be cheaper to just buy pre made juice powders.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Juicer + Dehydrator on 01/03/2014 22:42:57 MST Print View

Juice at home, then take it with you for day 1 ;-)

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Juicer + Dehydrator on 01/03/2014 23:25:50 MST Print View

Wouldn't it be great if we had an affordable, home-size freeze dry machine?

Paging Mister Caffin.

--B.G.--

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: Juicer + Dehydrator on 01/04/2014 08:17:32 MST Print View

"Wouldn't it be great if we had an affordable, home-size freeze dry machine?"

For some reason, as I watched this, I kept thinking of David Thomas (DavidinKenai). I think he's got this kind of curious, tinkering brain, a very cool brain to have! It's 10 minutes long, but interesting and kinda fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlywGYcY-tA

Bill Segraves
(sbill9000) - F - M
Re: Juicer + Dehydrator on 01/04/2014 14:30:27 MST Print View

Interesting idea. But for what it's worth, I'm inclined to think you may be at least as well off, and maybe better, just drying the fruits and vegetables for trail consumption. Or if you want process them, turning them into fruit leathers and such.

Just my $.02.

Cheers,

Bill S.

patrick agius
(Streamline) - F
Juicing on 01/06/2014 09:57:24 MST Print View

I have been juicing for breakfast for about 3 months now and love it. I have been wondering this same thing and though about trying to hydrate dried potato's with the juice and then re-dehydrating them.

My worry is how much nutrition actually carries over. Depending on the juicer, some squeeze and others shred, vitamins may degrade quickly. I have been told that the squeeze style keeps nutritional value longer than juice created by the grating/shredding style juicers.

On my last trip out, I noticed I craved a salad more than a steak when I got out of the woods. This has never happened before I started juicing.

Larry De La Briandais
(Hitech) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
The problem with heat on 01/06/2014 12:59:25 MST Print View

is that it will destroy some of the vitamins. Vitamin C is particularly vunerable. I would be concerned that too much of the "good" stuff would be lost with the heat, especially considering how much work it would be. But, it might taste better than what is commercially available. :^)

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: The problem with heat on 01/06/2014 14:43:31 MST Print View

One can dehydrate at under 112* for a "raw" dry. It will take a loooong time, but yes, it works.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: Juicer + Dehydrator on 01/06/2014 16:58:44 MST Print View

don't dehydrate juice. try the 80/20 option.
1. you can boil it down to a thick concentrated syrup paste. reduce water by 80%.
2. you can add thickener like flour, sugar, salt, cocoa, cinnamon to harden it and speed it up.
3. spread the thick paste into a thin layer on a wide cheese cloth in a dry area, or if you have a smoker to get rid of that last 20% moisture. Until you can get it bone dry into a solid powder

4. or wrap the bulk of the paste in a cheese cloth, tie it in a ball bundle, then put something heavy like a brick to slowly put pressure and squeeze the water out. the cheese cloth acting like a filter. capture the squeezed out water, its drinkable, dont waste it.

Shelf life without preservatives (high sugars, high salts) is still very short.

instead of powder being the goal, you can aim for concentrated syrup, but that will need heavy sugars, that may be counter the "healthy" purpose. I suppose you can use honey for sugar instead of the white powder smuggled from the island of San Glucose.

Edited by RogerDodger on 01/06/2014 17:01:19 MST.

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Juice? Soup? on 01/10/2014 21:45:52 MST Print View

Why is dehydrating juice much different from dehydrating soup?

I have heard that drying reduces vitamin C, but I also notice that my vitamin C supplements are...dry. (Dry ascorbic acid, I think.)

Roger's solution sounds more appetizing though.

I was curious about making something like "carrot leather," which sounds good to me, for some reason.

Edited by Bolster on 01/10/2014 21:49:45 MST.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Fruit leathers on 01/10/2014 22:10:07 MST Print View

Delmar,
I ran into this gem at Turkish food market in OC, but also found it at the mystery middle-east food store. it's apricot fruit leathers, called Amardin or Kamardeen or some variation of the spelling. At the store it's already made and costs $5 for a pound, whereas the fruit leathers at Trader Joe's cost $1 for a tiny strip.

If you want to do it for joy of cooking, that's great, but for cost savings, cheaper to buy it.

Your profile says Inland Empire, so I'm thinking you're in the 909. Look into a market in Rancho Cucamonga called Red Tomatoes http://www.redtomatoesfarmersmarket.com/

They have the dried fruit leathers at very good prices. When I'm heading to Mt B, I make the extra detour to that place for the fresh foods and the dried foods.

http://www.amazon.com/Dried-Apricot-Paste-Brand-stock/dp/B000LQLGA6

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Thanks on 01/11/2014 00:01:35 MST Print View

Rancho Cook is my nearest REI so I will check this out! Thank you good sir!