Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Interesting Gear under the Tree for You or Significant Others?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio
Interesting Gear under the Tree for You or Significant Others? on 12/25/2013 00:14:28 MST Print View

Any interesting gear under the tree for you this year? Or something you gave your S.O.? Or perhaps you got some gear for yourself? Just curious what's being given and gotten, so post up.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Interesting Gear under the Tree for You or Significant Others? on 12/25/2013 00:18:40 MST Print View

I asked for the gnar hoody and some gortex socks.

Cesar Valdez
(PrimeZombie) - F

Locale: Scandinavia
Re: Interesting Gear under the Tree for You or Significant Others? on 12/25/2013 02:30:09 MST Print View

Got gear for myself. No one really knows exactly what my kit needs but me, so why not?

Got myself a Borah Gear down vest and a pair of silnylon rain pants. They are being made now and I plan on doing a full report on my blog once they get here, and intend on really putting them to use and writing a long term review too. I am very excited about this order. I should also give credit where credit is due to the customer service from John at BG. He has been very friendly, informative, and patient in our many emails back and forth, and got back to me pretty quickly too. I will apparently have the very first down vest produced for sale from BG. :)

EDIT - typo

Edited by PrimeZombie on 12/25/2013 02:33:44 MST.

Ito Jakuchu
(jakuchu) - MLife

Locale: Japan
thread needs images on 12/25/2013 05:20:23 MST Print View

Don't really do x-mas but did order a very nice light base layer with hoody and thumb loops, the As Tucas Zilindro Hoody. Was made in a couple of days and sent off to Japan, curious to give the Schoeller fabric a go.

As Tucas Zilindro Hoody

Kevin Schneringer
(Slammer) - MLife

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands
All I want for Christmas is....... on 12/25/2013 06:14:22 MST Print View

Not my two front teeth. My gear costs much more than that!
I generally buy my own gear but this year I held out on the Patagonia R1.

My wife got me the R1 hoody and I was happy, but lurking under the hoody was a pair of LL Bean house slippers.
She did good as usual. And those shoes will be very comfy whilst setting and ready BPL over the holidays.

In truth I really believe she gives the best gift all through the year. NOT asking what was in that delivery, did you really need that, I thought you already had one of those. Yep she is a patient woman!

BER ---
(BER) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Christmas on 12/25/2013 06:21:25 MST Print View

My wife an I built our own Wild Things hoodies. Came exactly as ordered. Sized true to expectations. Look like good quality.

Edited by BER on 12/25/2013 06:22:12 MST.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Christmas on 12/25/2013 09:19:31 MST Print View

Mrs. Claus and the elves outdid themselves this year.

Benchmade 940, BD Mega Light, and a flask which may or may not come in handy at the GGG this year.

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio
Wife Knife on 12/25/2013 09:36:48 MST Print View

Wow, a wife that will give her husband a butch knife. I can only imagine what that must be like.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Wife Knife on 12/25/2013 10:27:52 MST Print View

Seeing that I laid out a bread crumb trail, drew pictures, and even composed a haiku, I think it was more to shut me up than anything else. The Mega Light was a complete surprise and I can't wait to go play in the snow with it.

Benjamin Meadors
(thebentern) - F

Locale: Central Arkansas
Gossamer Gear Minimalist Daypack on 12/25/2013 10:42:47 MST Print View

My wife had a Gossamer Gear Minimalist Ultralight Daypack under the tree for me. This is our first Christmas, and I'd say she's a keeper. :-)

Matt Weaver
(norcalweaver) - F

Locale: PacNW
Locus Gear on 12/25/2013 11:00:12 MST Print View

Got the wife a Locus Gear Khufu sil made this year. She did not like the available colors so I purchased a bunch of pretty sky blue fabric from Lightheart and convinced Jotaro to do me a solid and make one of his shelters out of the fabric I provided. Christmas will run a bit late for the wife this year, should arrive in a couple of weeks.

As for me, I buy gear all year round for myself so see christmas presents as a little unnecessary. Love giving gifts though :)

Phillip Asby
(PGAsby) - M

Locale: North Carolina
Hanging plus on 12/25/2013 12:31:10 MST Print View

I had a Grand Trunk skeeter beater pro under the tree for my wife and son - he (scout) got a new headlamp and a lighter sleeping bag REI Lumen 25 to replace his 3 plus pound alps bag (great bag but big and heavyish).

I've not tried a hammock so the Granf Trunk seems like a good compromise of price features and weight. It will need some mods as the suspension is supposed to be so so at best but worst case some straps and I'm hanging (might go all in with whoopies).... And a tarp but that is doable.

Donna C
(leadfoot) - M

Locale: Middle Virginia
Re: Interesting Gear under the Tree for You or Significant Others? on 12/25/2013 12:43:03 MST Print View

Santa gave me a Lite Trail cook set. 2.9 0z.
: )

Edited by leadfoot on 12/25/2013 13:16:19 MST.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Interesting Gear under the Tree for You or Significant Others? on 12/25/2013 13:32:16 MST Print View

I'm upgrading the in-laws and wife on flashlights. Not to a UL level, but taking them from the old incandescent lights to current LED options. That means taking the in-laws from a 3-D-cell Maglite to a 4-AA Dorcy LED flashlight of lighter weight, greater life and greater lumens. Win, win, and win.

My wife likes a 3-D-cell in case the people by the side of the road in apparent need of medical care cause a fuss. Then the billy-club style and weight is nice to have. But with LEDs and lithium batteries, it is lighter, can be swung faster and (importantly) works well to -40F.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: Interesting Gear under the Tree for You or Significant Others? on 12/25/2013 13:49:06 MST Print View

I gave a glow in the dark rope to car camping scout parent, to use/see the guyline at night when the kids are walking back to the tents at night. It was well received.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-quarter-inch-x-100-ft-glow-in-the-dark-polypropylene-rope-65567.html

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Interesting Gear under the Tree for You or Significant Others? on 12/25/2013 14:44:35 MST Print View

Well in my never ending quest to keep my wife warm when colder weather backpacking, I recently got and gave her a 0 degree wide quilt from E.E.

I didn't get anything. But since I was required to work 8 hrs yesterday and I'm required to work 8 hrs today, think I may get myself something later since both days are time and a half plus regular pay. Would like to get a cuben pyramid tent.

Tim Drescher
(timdcy) - M

Locale: Gore Range
Re: Interesting Gear under the Tree for You or Significant Others? on 12/25/2013 15:18:33 MST Print View

I got my myself some way too expensive Rossignol Alltrack 120 ski boots. I can't bring myself to buy too many backpacking items during ski season, and also can't buy too many ski gear items during backpacking season. Horrible strategy for finding good deals.

Paul Andronico
(Jakesandwich) - MLife

Locale: S.F. Bay Area
New Hexamid Tarp & Net Tent on 12/25/2013 15:21:41 MST Print View

My wife ordered me a Hexamid solo tarp and SMD Serenity Net Tent for X-mas. Woohoo!

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Christmas Gifts on 12/25/2013 15:27:53 MST Print View

Got my parents a Sawyer Mini, and the siblings got them a Gigipower stove. Not much to get them since last year they got new packs, a new tent, new pads and they already have down bags.

Got little brother a Cold Steel Voyager knife. That is a nice piece! Need to get one for myself at some point.

Little sisters are so great to shop for! Amazon.com and Starbucks gift cards are all they want (at least from a brother with no sense of fashion).

J P
(jpovs) - F - M

Locale: North Shore
Re: Interesting Gear under the Tree for You or Significant Others? on 12/25/2013 15:31:47 MST Print View

-

Edited by jpovs on 06/15/2014 14:15:58 MDT.